Creating Skins/Bitmaps

Discussion in 'Building With Reaktor' started by Ctazza, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Klemperer

Klemperer NI Product Owner

Just learning gimp, so your scripts might be incredibly useful for me, thanks!

2. iLex

iLex NI Product Owner

I'm almost there creating my own interface, but I encounter this little problem.
    I have 128 .tga files with an alpha channel per button (128 button states). Each one of them is 80x80 pixels.
    The problem is, I can't find an application for mac that can make a strip of them. I know I can do this manually, but I don't really feel like copy pasting hundreds of pictures.
    Any ideas?

herw, you posted that you use GraphicConverter to do this. What function do you use?

thanks in advance!

3. herw

herw NI Product Owner

use "Mehrfachkonvertierung" from the menu "Ablage" in english i think multiple conv. from file menu (see attachment). Ask Mr. Lemke! He is very friendly and aswers very quickly!

ciao herw

Attached Files:

4. iLex

iLex NI Product Owner

Thanks a million herw, I found it!

5. CC4

CC4 NI Product Owner

6. logic_user99

logic_user99 Forum Member

Ok. Here's a REAL n00b question.

Why doesn't my .bmp file work as a background image work when I put it into my ensemble?

I don't want to do fancy buttons or knobs, just put a metal-effect image into the background on the whole ensemble. When I try it, the whole background just turns white and it becomes unusable.

Thoughts? (you're all great for answering the n00b questions!)

7. tubaman

tubaman NI Product Owner

Open Properties and click on your synth bacground. Load your .bmp from the pull down menu. see picture.

Attached Files:

8. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

9. sw004g

sw004g NI Product Owner

Core Macro icons?

What format / size do Core macro icons need to be? I just tried using a few quick bmps as a core macro icon to no avail.

10. CC4

CC4 NI Product Owner

11. arachnaut

arachnaut NI Product Owner

I don't think you can change the structure icon in core cells.

But in primary cells the structure icon should be 31 x 31 pixels.

Here's a picture to show the results on 32x32 and 31x31
    pixel structures. The icon is a black outline followed by a
    white outline followed by the fill color. With 32x32 the black
    outline is truncated.

Attached Files:

12. Horuschild

Horuschild NI Product Owner

Nice program. There is a good of aliasing however. Just tried resaving the PNG exports from photoshop proir to converting to tga. seems to help a great deal.

13. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

14. arturnowak

arturnowak Forum Member

15. Horuschild

BASE designs knobman files v1.0.1

Here are some knobman file and other png image for you to use in Reaktor. Please read my terms of use document.

http://www.box.net/shared/ayhy2if8k8

Thanks,

Jonathan

16. tubaman

tubaman NI Product Owner

Jonathan,
    I have yet to find a comprehensive tutorial on making knobs on Photoshop. Would you be interested doing one? Or helping me to learn and I could do the tutorial. I know you're using CS3, which I hope to get soon, but I'm still on CS2. Is there a lot of CS3-specific aspects to your current method?
    DD

17. Horuschild

Holy Jesus :eek: ! That would be a rather difficult task I think, but a rather basic tutorial let me think on it and try it out tonight when I have some time. The bigg problem is that every knob is different and may require all sort of manipulation to make it work. It can take 6min. it can take 6 hours depending on what you want.

There are some tricks that I have that I can communicate right away that make a difference.

In the file you see several moog styled knobs. To get that shape correct you need to use the polygon shape. Heres the trick, focus on getting the low dips to the shape you want them, once you have this intersect the shapes outer edge to trim off the points. You may not want the clip look so now the pain in the ass part start you have to draw in another polygon with a smooth edge fit and then use the subtrack form shape to keep that from overlaping previous image. Once you have it merge the layers. export PnG drop in knobman and carefully do the bevels and shadowing there. More choices: if its all good add the other elements rotate the proper parts and its a go. If the image needs some work on the tones created in the beveling proccess export the rotated image, in this case it would be rotated and then bring it back into photoshope. Use the contrast/brightness, selective color adjustment tools etc to get it the way you want it. Save it. Make the other layers in the strip form in knobman, do the same proccess. Now open all the files put them in one images layered the corrected over and resize export as PNG and convert to TGA. Sort of the basic idea.

Hope this is a little start for ya Don. I will have to seriously think about it for a bit. I wouldn't do something that complex for a tutorial but you get the idea I think simple is not always simple.

Perhaps one just on knobman because it a pain in the but to use at first. and it does have some limitation on editing the images but its also a key app for making things that rotate.

edit: one last thing.The most import feature of knobs and panel elements in Photoshop is the zoom in/out tool! If you bevel a shape zoom out and see how it looks when it small, fine tune it there then zoom back in (will look wrong sometimes when at full 200px but everything changes when you resize it.) Also your guilds tools are a must.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  18. tubaman

tubaman NI Product Owner

so Knobman is the key. Is that pc only?

D

19. tubaman

tubaman NI Product Owner

I really didn't ask the right question from the start... I can find lots of tutorials online as to how to make a knob that looks realistic in phoyoshop. How to get the mulptiples to line up so they rotate smoothly, that's what I don't know. I have yet to see a good tutorial on that for any software that works with a mac.
    DD

20. Horuschild

I just checked, but i am not sure. I think it is. But if you have the niffty macs that can run PC programs your in luck.

As far rotating smoothy Knobman does OK for many things. However, I often time find myself editing all sort of problems from the resize. There is also a roughness to it when a small line rotates like a indicator line. It really gets on my nerves. I don't know if there is a better way...not yet at least. Should be solutions for the mac however. perhaps Bernd know something?

I guess thats the big secret the pro are keeping to them selves...LOL, there has to be some way to do it, if they can so can we.

also you have panel elements can I have a peek?