Creating Skins/Bitmaps

Discussion in 'Building With Reaktor' started by Ctazza, Dec 4, 2005.

1. carloskleiber

carloskleiber Forum Member

Multipictures

I thought I'd copy this info here from a 2003 forum post:

"multi pictures are just a column (top to bottom) of images of the same size saved as one big file. when you import one to the multi picture module, it asks you how many ‘animations’ (slices) you want, and it cuts it up into that many ‘separate’ images. you can load bmp and 32 bit tga files, with tga you can have an alpha (transparent mask) channel"

...sorry if this was clear to everybody, somehow it wasn't to me. If you understand this, and depending your needs of course, you can have results with programs like paint, in 2 minutes;)

If I am not mistaken you can slice horizontally as well, but the system likes it less,

,and of course the same goes for multi and polydisplays, where you load these pictures and access with values 1 and bigger at the obj port.

That thing with alpha channels is a bit trickier (but looks really much cooler). It is worth to learn I think, but there, you really need one of those programs people talk about in this thread. I post here a couple of digits I made with Gimp for Mac, inside X11. I wish I could say it is straightforward, but it is not, each time I needed to play around a bit until my final image would be nicely dividable into well centered digits. Also I have not found an automatic and easy way yet to glue images of same size together, instead of manually fitting them together. If anyone can advise, I'll appreciate...

Attached Files:

2. herw

herw NI Product Owner

GraficConverter

BTW it's multilanguage

Attached Files:

3. carloskleiber

carloskleiber Forum Member

Great! Thanx for the tip, I'll check it out.

4. Horuschild

Horuschild NI Product Owner

some tube graphics.

the file contains:

PHS CS3 source file
    Knobman file
    PNG export
    tga export

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  5. Horuschild

6. Horuschild

added another GUI example to my blog. This one is a bit different. The file has mostly .psd files. However I did all the animations in Knobman and I made a Skinman assembly of all the pieces for those that don't have Photoshop but might want to take a look.

next I'm working on an elevator modulation matrix see pic...

7. herw

herw NI Product Owner

cool : perhaps next project is a modular synth with style of time machine ? ;)
    great design!

ciao herw

8. Horuschild

add another steampunk sort of GUI template to my blog its named 'Metal Box'. Its all Photoshop and I only included one knob animated in knobman with various colors. It didn't include the other knobs feeling something should be left for others to do themselves.

9. JuanSOLO

JuanSOLO Forum Member

10. tobyjohn

tobyjohn NI Product Owner

Photoshop solution for vertical image maps!

Here's a workaround for photoshop using actions!

Works like a charm!

http://www.vimeo.com/8515297

Toby

11. Horuschild

Knobman stuff for education purposes. Made some nice steampunk type VU meters entirely in Knobman, you will need to install the textures into knobman prior to opening the knobman files or they will not look correct.

link to file:
    http://www.box.net/shared/aka1krruy1

they take a few to open because there are so many layers, about 60 or so.

Attached Files:

12. elxsound

elxsound NI Product Owner

@Hils93 - I'm all over these! Can't wait to dissect your steampunk creations. They look very intimidating, so I'm hoping to learn quite a bit! :)

13. TuRkDiRTy

TuRkDiRTy Forum Member

there must be a problem that makes these animations all in one go. alpha channels, tga export and batch processing.

having a massively hard time just creating a stretching triangle. urgh ;S

tried this saintpaint, but it's the most awkward piece of software i've ever used. just doesnt do anything that it says it does well.

so frustrating.

14. Horuschild

Simple example of RGB filled panel elements inspired by sonictwist, not sure what he did as I don’t have anything from him, and another instrument I saw on the UL, I don’t remember the name any longer. Anyway…

These are simple knobman files that allow you to match your instrument panel’s RGB color and then use a RBG lamp to change the indicator color to your liking. They are very simple knobs & faders Ableton style but you can always make them as fancy as you want since you have the source files. Please note you need to keep to the format I have set up for the areas that block out the RGB lamp, otherwise the RGB lamp will show through.

The example ensemble has each type of knob and fader (bipolar and unipolar) set up a few different ways.

Attached Files:

15. TuRkDiRTy

TuRkDiRTy Forum Member

it would seem he just made 100+ animations with an alpha channel maybe, using the RGB channels on a multidisplay to change it's colour.
    layering on top of them a mouse area and taking the Y value + button click to take its reading as well as giving an output to what ever parameter is being controlled
    i really want to show what i'm doing, and when it's complete i can. i'll upload it to the library.
    but until then, i'll have to stop asking questions cos i'm wasting people's time.

but cheers anyway

16. Horuschild

not sure what your talking about, I assume you mean the post from above. I read that but I'm not sure what you want to do, an expanding triangle...do you just want something that gets big, what are you using to make the animation, what are you trying to load it into?

heres a quick example using a multi display (well 2 of them, I'm sure it can be done in one but I dont know how to do it that way). There are 2 versions, the first uses a mouse area to control the triangle, left&right mouse clicks control which angle you are moving (can click both the left and right at the same time and shift the entire base of the triangle while adjusting the peak at the same time, just the left and right angles will be locked into the an equal distance relative to each other, I thought it was pretty niffty), the second uses knobs.

hope it helps.

edit: I see your talking about the script. If you are on a pc you can use png stitch and then convert that into to tga in knobman or XNview. Think XNview works with mac but png stitch/knobman is pc thing, to bad for you mac guys on that one. I use png stictch and XNview, its very quick and for me has been error proof over the last several years, use it with 3d renders and knobman exports, psd export, etc etc never fails.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  17. Horuschild

for anyone that wants to use psd for the gui but isn't really sure how to go about making it look cool, I saw an excellent book this evening at B&N. I just thumbed through it and read a few pages here and there, for the most part its almost the same process I use when doing things for my gui's. Check it out

100% Photoshop steve chaplin

Link to amazon

18. Horuschild

My first attempt at making a video tutorial, testing out the software I have and how to format things etc etc.

The tutorial covers making a basic shadow-less knob in g200kg’s knobman, exporting this animation for use in Reaktor, loading the image into Reaktor so that Reaktor can use it.

comments would be helpful so that I can improve future presentations.

http://vimeo.com/11623968

19. Noisewreck

Noisewreck NI Product Owner

Thanks for the tutorial! You make it look so simple! :D

Best value I think I got from it was not as much in the "how-to" aspect of it, as I have been playing with it for a while, but more from your workflow. I like that you copy your "indicator" layer twice one for uni and one for bipolar versions.

It would be great to see more advanced tutorials involving shading and external graphics, maybe even ones with curved faders, etc.

Skinman tutorials would be wonderful as well.

Thanks for your hard work! Your work is certianly an inspiration.

20. Horuschild

although not a tutorial I have uplaoded an example gui that you can look at and modify.

File contains:
    Knobman files (.knob)
    Skinman files (.skin)

http://www.box.net/shared/317c9nj2mf

Attached Files: