Cursor Still Glitches Visually Whilst Browsing for Tracks in 2.7.5 Beta

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO 2.7.5 Public Beta Test' started by FloydB, Apr 1, 2015.

1. FloydB

FloydB NI Product Owner

I reported in the 2.7.4 Beta that there is an issue with the cursor (highlighted line indicating track selection) whilst scrolling through the browser:

"When you scroll through any playlist or track listing, instead of the highlighted line remaining as one solid line it is now as if it is trying to break up into three sections whilst scrolling up or down and is no longer smooth but quite jerky. It is as though there is now a certain amount of lag and the highlighted graphic is unable to keep up during the scrolling action. As you will see from my specs my machine is more than capable and I have never seen this in Traktor until using the beta for testing purposes. Checking this issue in the previous version 2.7.3 confirmed it is only present in the beta."

I have installed 2.7.5 on my system to start testing today and can confirm that the issue described above is still present in the latest Beta release.
    Changes made to my graphics card settings made no impact on the issue and I also tried updating the graphics card driver to the latest version with no change or improvement.
    The video below, which I posted previously shows the issue quite clearly as the cursor scrolls up and down and this happens in any playlist either in the Traktor Collection or the Explorer node. The cursor is actually being scrolled a little faster than normal in the video, but it will also show the same issue when scrolled slowly or just one track at a time. It would be interesting to know if anyone else is seeing this behavior?

2. FloydB

FloydB NI Product Owner

@Sander @ NI: Have NI been able to reproduce this scrolling cursor glitch? would be interesting to know whether it is isolated or reproducible.
    Are any other Traktor 2.7.5 beta testers seeing this glitch? would be interesting to know if other users see this and what their machine specs are.

3. FloydB

FloydB NI Product Owner

@Sander @ NI: I have just discovered something that narrows down this issue to only occurring when the Kontrol S8 is connected to Traktor 2.7.4 and currently 2.7.5.

I have a keyboard mapping which includes scrolling up and down through the browser using the UP and DOWN arrow keys. SHIFT+UP/DOWN scrolls through the browser tree.

What I discovered was that when I start up Traktor in internal mode, so without using the S8, the keyboard UP/DOWN keys scroll through either the main browser or the browser tree smoothly without any glitch whatsoever. The same keyboard keys when used with the S8 connected glitch in exactly the same way as using the Browse encoder of the S8 as described in the original post and also shown in my video.

This led me to believe that there may have been some conflict, although unlikely, between the keyboard mapping and the S8 so I removed the keyboard assignments to test for any change in behavior. Unfortunately this change and also trying a different USB cable made no difference to the glitch when using the Kontrol S8.
    Please advise me if there is any further testing you can suggest regarding the use of the S8, which may help find the cause of this issue?

4. FloydB

FloydB NI Product Owner

@Sander @ NI: I have had some more time to investigate this glitching issue during the weekend.
    I have been able to borrow some one else's windows 7 Toshiba pc just for testing purposes and so I installed the 2.7.5 beta and all the necessary drivers.
    Once it was all set up I connected the Kontrol S8 to find that the issue is NOT present at all when using the fully optimised windows 7 Toshiba with the 2.7.5 beta. The Toshiba is only a 2.10 GHz dual core machine with 4GB ram and a 64-bit windows 7 install, which makes me even more curious to know what is causing this on my more than capable I7 DJ only rig?

On the positive side, this is the only issue I have found with both of the 2.7xx betas proving to be very solid and stable with no audio drop outs or cpu spikes.

Something obviously changed in the transition from 2.7.3 to the 2.7.4/2.7.5 betas to cause this graphics glitch as I can still open up and run Traktor under 2.7.3 with no track scrolling glitch whatsoever. Maybe something in the change to 64-bit architecture, with that being a major change to the software, is causing this issue?

I have not tried starting 2.7.5 under the 32-bit install yet, but I will try that too just to rule that out and report back here.

Having read the release notes for the upcoming 2.8 official update, I am looking forward to checking out whether the final release may also help with the issue I'm seeing.