1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

In Sticky Custom Chords & Scales

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by shuttle358, Apr 27, 2017.

1. RobLo

RobLo NI Product Owner

It's never going to happen

• Like Like x 1
  2. JBlongz

JBlongz NI Product Owner

It’s possible that they are not ignoring the possibility, but occupied with critical priorities. What seems like a simple change in code, is really not. I wish they were more open, but nobody likes to put their fit in mouths, especially in business.

3. Panasony

Panasony NI Product Owner

This is the kind of niche feature (along with microtuning) that nerds online make a lot of noise about.. 95% of musicians should be pretty happy with the large selection of existing musical scales and what they have to offer... Maschine is not conceived as a tool for experimental music making for academics or avant garde music... I would suggest to such people to look elsewhere!

This is a total waste of time for the developers IMO. There are a lot more serious things that need fixing and adding than custom scales....

I'm sad to see this is a sticky....

4. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

This is neither a helpful, nor accurate assessment of the feature request.

Custom scales I do not need, but i accept and appreciate some users may desire them.. fwiw what i would not do is assume that just because I do not need custom scales that NI should not bother to provide them.

Custom chords on the other hand represents a monumental oversight of sheer boneheadedness on behalf of NI..

With a 64 pad Push 2 with a sustain input you are able to play chords, inversions over several octaves, with sustain, in real time.. The ONLY POSSIBLE way for Maschine to accomplish this would be to allow a grid of 16 custom chords and allow the switch jack input to support sustain.. until then, playing Maschine like an instrument is a joke.

it is pretty clear from the level of support for these features that your views are the outlier, not the representation of what users desire....just sayin ;)

5. Panasony

Panasony NI Product Owner

My assessment is that the vast majority of Maschine users absolutely do not need custom scales for their EDM productions :)
    A few loud voices on internet forums are not representative.

It is not about whether *I* need them or not. I have spent some time using Maschine and looking at feature requests for Maschine and there are a lot more pressing matters... From essential GUI stuff like tooltips and zoom buttons to plugin delay compensation, etc etc.

Despite the marketing hype, neither Push nor Maschine are musical instruments for melodic playing. They are pad controllers mainly designed for triggering percussive sounds and samples. I would suggest that the fancy musical stuff be added to the NI keyboards instead.

We're talking about software that doesn't even do auto-backup yet....

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

1. Not everyone does EDM on Maschine
    2. adding custom scales when there are already scales is trivial
    3. You need some better understanding of Push.. like seriously. It is perfectly possible to play melodies and chords on Push.

but tooltips?.. rtfm

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. RobLo

RobLo NI Product Owner

There are donationware (which is essentially freeware because it's basically "name your price") that are relatively simple...like Insert Piz Here's Midichords...

It allows you to select a chord from a list, any inversion, or create your own and store them to any key for single press chords.

I'm not going to be pretentious and act like I know how easy it would be for the devs to implement this....but I can't believe it would take any major overhaul of the code. But what do I know

• Like Like x 1
  8. RobLo

RobLo NI Product Owner

Maybe it's also worth noting that VST's that generate chords via midi out is not a viable option with Maschine due to internal midi routing also being a feature not available..but also requested for years.

I'm also growing very tired of NI and their indifference towards their consumer base. It really does feel like Maschine is going the abandoned route.

9. mason drielling

mason drielling NI Product Owner

Scale quantize function: the ability to make a pattern in the major scale and with the click of a button, change the pattern to the minor scale. Shouldn't be too difficult to create

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tommy Angelsnes

Tommy Angelsnes NI Product Owner

I'd like to see a strummed chord and humanise chord function. It takes a long time adjusting the start point and velocity for every note.

11. Psyearth5

Psyearth5 NI Product Owner

Hi I stat new suggestion for costume Chords as a last big feature in this version of Maschine, to be honest we are at the end of version 2 and on Maschine 3 we will have a plenty of new features so I suggested for costume Chords to be last big improvement but I agree that there are a lot that we need...I'm waiting for permition for posting and I hope that it will pass and...I would be so happy if we get this feature

12. Will Zégal

Will Zégal NI Product Owner

Custom scales in keyboard mode would be great. And greater too with abilty to choose every click pad color in keyboard mode.

What would it be for ? For instance to play some plugins where specific keys relate to specific patterns or FX like iZotope StutterEdit, Ni The Finger or Ujam BM Eden.

Many of this plugins are made to be played with a keyboard with white and black keys having different functions. The standard chromatic scale on JAM Keyboard mode is not very suitable for this.

We can also name many Kontakt instruments where some keys have special functions while other ones plays notes.

(please, stop comparing Maschine with Live + Push 2 : that ensemble costs 1200 € while Maschine + hard stands around 4-500 €)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Psyearth5

Psyearth5 NI Product Owner

Yes yes at least you understand how this could be useful to creative and efficient workflow, the other guys where just trolling but costume scales and chords or just costume key and function's feature would be great and speed up workflow

14. Mk3User-Neurotic

Mk3User-Neurotic New Member

+1 custom chord sets is a must

15. shuttle358

shuttle358 New Member

Its funny that you say that, because I actually released the very first published album using software made by Native Instruments in the 1990's (that I know of). Everything you've ever used by this company has its origins in experimental and academic music making, so if you want these tools to grow, it might be worth it to keep looking at features that don't have clear applications yet.