DAW with the DEEPEST Maschine Integration

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by AureVoir, Oct 19, 2018.

?

Deepest DAW Integration and site your reasons you feel why

1. Logic Pro X

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ableton Live

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. FL Studios

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Cubase

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  5. Bitwig

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. Auditon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Protools

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Studio One

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. Reaper

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. CakeWalk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Digital Performer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Reason

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Audacity

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Tracktion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Mixcraft

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. LMMS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AureVoir

AureVoir NI Product Owner

What i mean by this:

Shortest out of the box set up and routing, Has the ability to write midi data without being in MidiMode, including arp and chord data, Midi Note input data. ETC

2. machinesworkinghardforyou

machinesworkinghardforyou NI Product Owner

You're aware there are multiple ways to integrate Maschine into a DAW right? With that in mind various DAWs will have faster and slower set up times to integrate depending on how you the end user wants to integrate.

For instance I prefer to just use MIDI notes or Program Change messages to fire Scenes in a sequence in a DAW, but you can't really do that if the sequence has more than one time signature. To me Maschine with hardware like Studio is just fine for mixing, I have no need for separate audio outs from Maschine, but I prefer to export the MIDI to the DAW since that way those mentioned time signature problems aren't so bad. You might not care about that. After trying it in Live, DP9, Logic, and Reaper, most of the work using a DAW in my experience is on Maschine's side anyway.

Willing to bet none of them do arp or chord data, it's a rare thing when a VSTi sends MIDI out from it's internal MIDI plug ins.

3. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

That's nearly impossible to answer accurately, it requires trying it in all those. I tried a few and found the process virtually the same, with some extra steps for some DAW's. From what a tried from that list both Logic and Reason have serious MIDI limitations.

AFAIK from those you quoted only Logic has that issue because of some AU limitation.
    Live for example can receive MIDI from VTS's no problem, so Arps/N-Repeat, Chords, Scales, all work fine.

4. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

the answer is none..there is nothing at all that has deep integration as NI of course keep their hid protocol proprietary.

anything daw wise that hosts vst and has midi and audio routing are the same..

anything that doesnt do the above dont do diddly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

Studio One 4 hands down.

6. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

7. D-J-K

D-J-K NI Product Owner

I voted for Ableton because thats all I use these days, and it works quite well for me with Maschine for drum kits/racks only. But in all seriousness, why force the Maschine peg into the non-Maschine holes? Take advantage of the DAW and its own unique features.....imo, adding maschine into your DAW environment may ( or may not be) an embellishment that will help diversify your music, with or with out any physical controller.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  8. machinesworkinghardforyou

Mostly VSTi's I own and even MIDI plug ins in DAWs like Ableton etc. do not send MIDI notes to a track, that's why I doubted you could have an internal Maschine Arp sending MIDI notes to a DAW instead of a note or held chord. If Maschine does this that's cool, it's unusual that's all.

9. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...I don't think, the big question is, in which DAW one can have the fastest or easiest routing to set up Maschine. In most cases, I guess, it's just setting up the thing once and saving it as a template, so in my view, it's rather negligible, whether you need a few clicks less and save some minutes. More important to me would be, which DAW complements Maschine the most (or the other way around).

• Like Like x 1
  10. machinesworkinghardforyou

Owning four DAWs for various reasons, Reaper, Live, Digital Performer, and Logic. DP is the easiest set up, and probably most enjoyable experience using in, but it comes with high CPU cost. Reaper has the lowest CPU use, and Live is pretty straightforward with again high CPU cost. I'm sure it's doable in Logic, but Logic as a whole is not the easiest for any sort of integration with third party software, and that predates Apple buying it.

Like I mentioned in my first post, because all of our situations are different, to me it's best used in DP and Logic, but mostly because I own Push 2; Live can use Drum Racks (or Battery/Kontakt in the case of Reaper) with Push 2's drum sequencer.

11. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

well, i voted cubase but thats just because thats the only other DAW I use. i was at a recent music forum where i talked a little with the NI guy and he said NI might be working on an actual DAW for machine. so that should be interesting. hopefully they keep in mind machine users and their workflows and make the DAW fit in with that. the thing about machine was, once i got maschine mikro a long time ago, it was a revolutionary music studio tool that heavily influenced my workflow, and my workflow adjusted to the particularities of maschine and the controller.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. D-One

Can you give a couple of examples?
    You cant use the original Track where the VST is, if you do it will indeed just receive one note/chord instead of arp/note repeat. It requires an extra MIDI track, that's the track where you can configure a VST as a MIDI input.
    [​IMG]

The same applies to any VST whos job is to do Scales/Chords/Arps like Cthulhu and such... The same technique is required for Cubase, Bitwig and most DAW's.

• Like Like x 1
  13. machinesworkinghardforyou

All Uh-He products, UVI Falcon, DP's built in Arpegiator, all Arturia plug ins, NI FM8 etc.
    Chtulhu is designed for MIDI out, still, a lot of VSTi's that have built in arpeggiators do not send it to the MIDI out.

14. D-One

Ooohhh that's what you mean, ok.
    That kind of arp is not really built for MIDI out, its intended to be used only with that synth itself, it's not a DAW limitation, it's by design on the plug in's end.. While something like Maschine is designed to also control other plugs.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  15. machinesworkinghardforyou

Yeah, just well, as tech support told me when I pointed out the whole time signature fiasco, Maschine is not a Daw, so I figured it would work like other plug ins, in a DAW. Glad it works more like Chtulhu.

16. AureVoir

17. D-One

You mean recording the pads midi out? Welcome the non-Logic DAW users world :D
    You can also record a Maschine performance to MIDI btw...

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. AureVoir

Man I have done SO many things with midi and Maschine. Not so much with Komplete Kontrol so far but I am still learning. But man. I am just so in love. This is up there with how I feel about my kids man.

19. D-J-K

D-J-K NI Product Owner

Love your enthusiasm . I'm curious what your template does. I'll check it out..
    I have a Ableton template that allows me to use a series of controllers - Maschine Studio + Push 2 + two F1s and APC40MKII - to control all layers of song and audio by MIDI including drums while in Session view and recording all the gated midi and audio into the Arrangement view live. I can flip through Maschine drums or NI content, any plug-ins on the fly, and basically record new songs all as MIDI on one take into the Arrangement view . Thats one thing I do continue to like about Maschine is VST mode and the drums / kits,. It so easy to flip through the content and swap kits with the Studio controller...and probably the best thing about its integration into Ableton, for me at least.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  20. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

Are you saying that I can add BPM change markers into the DAW and that'll be reflected in Maschine's VST?!