1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

DAW with the DEEPEST Maschine Integration

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by AureVoir, Oct 19, 2018.

?

Deepest DAW Integration and site your reasons you feel why

1. Logic Pro X

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ableton Live

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. FL Studios

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Cubase

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Bitwig

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  6. Auditon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Protools

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Studio One

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  9. Reaper

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  10. CakeWalk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Digital Performer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Reason

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Audacity

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Tracktion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Mixcraft

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. LMMS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AureVoir

AureVoir NI Product Owner

Its rather simple compared to yours.
    its a Maschine midi track and a Midi track and essentially you open the Maschine group i included, which sets up the midi routing, and then select the kit you want. the midi you punch in with your pads will be played in maschines arranger. this inclueds the chords and arp data.

I have been looking to do this with Maschine and Logic Pro for years now and it is impossible becasue of the limits set when Apple limited logic pro to Audio Units. Instead i was limited to using Audio only with Logic pro from maschine which was fin but made precision hard when it came to note and groove placement. I Really wanted to use the maschine workflow to make music, but the maschine appliation in standalone mode has so many liitations and literally renders a lot of paid third party plugins useless and worthless. NO GOOD!

You dont by chance have a controller editior template for launching and recording clips or scenes? or is the one that comes included already set up perfectly for it?

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

BPM changes work just fine, Maschine follows host BPM, no reason not to.
    Mixed time divisions don't tho, at least if you plan to have the MIDI inside Maschine, if all the MIDI is in the Host then it works fine.

3. AureVoir

AureVoir NI Product Owner

no, what i am saying is IGNORE the maschine plugin, its now just an instrument inside of Ableton. The ableton sequencer is the only thimgs recieving midi data writen to it... so no maschine wont see the time signature changes but yes you can inside of ableton, make bpm and time changes and have the music reflect that ish.

4. D-J-K

D-J-K NI Product Owner

My template has custom CE/midi cc mappings for all the controllers I use in this workflow :

APC40mkii - controls 8 instrument tracks with each having 4 song layers (midi gates). Controls for all 8 track volumes, arp on/off, arp velocity

Kontrol F1 #1 - controls the 4 song layers each layer having up to 4 melodies/chords. ‘shift’ mapping controls 8 samples in Egoist.

Kontrol F1 #2 - controls the 4 drum layers kicks, snares/claps, hats and perc. ‘shift’ mapping controls 4 samples from Serato sampler, 4 samples from ADSR sample browser, 4 midi layers for Rizer, and 4 samples just as Ableton clips

Push2 - not mapped used as Ableton controller

Maschine Studio - not mapped, exclusively used to browse/ swap NI samples and kits

As you can see the breadth of my template goes well beyond just Maschine . However i am working on a Maschine only version that has all 16 pads mapped to a drum rack and out to separate midi tracks so you can multi pitch sounds and samples from the NI kits. I’ll share it on the forum when finished

The factory mappings are ok but too vanilla for my needs .

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  5. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

6. D-One

Humm... Looks similar to the legacy mk3 / studio integration but turned up to 1000% with the advantage of a touchscreen and with a nice GUI and awesome visual feedback...

I dont see myself buying a standalone to then control Live, the two things seem like complete opposites to me but it sure makes the devices a lot more versatile, especially Force, it's now a more interesting solution to me. Hat's off to Akai.
    If they dont abandon this integration thing like NI did and keep improving it I might consider switching over, well see...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. HammyHavoc

Definitely food for thought, but I don't see myself purchasing either yet as there's a lot of basics like time signatures that leave a lot to be desired still to my knowledge. I'm assuming things will only get better with it, hoping NI follows suit and fleshes out their integration with various DAWs. Partnerships and integrating with existing workflows is going to be a theme for 2020 within audio it seems. The competition and capability is definitely rising with AKAI. Hoping NI will really deliver on the software front going forward.

8. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

IMHO common sense would dictate that the more accomodating and versatile your products are the more reasons people have to use them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

As for Akai I don't get what they are doing. MG/CMP don't either... start at 35:53. Force dropped $600, I think that means discontinued in the near future.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. macchinista

macchinista NI Product Owner

But who is buying a standalone to control another software running on a computer? Seem crazy to me. Have they sorted the song mode on the Force? They should focus on that instead.

11. macchinista

macchinista NI Product Owner

I would rather see NI fix the issues with their software first. We are almost in 2020 and no signs of any improvements to the arranger.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HammyHavoc

Not sure, but added value like that undoubtedly helps to move units.
    I would like to think that there's enough people working at NI to focus on more than one feature. I'm expecting a lot from Maschine 3.0, and I think most users are. It'll likely fall s

13. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

Somewhat of a weird poll IMO, because of that I didn't vote. Heck, the poll is by definition a bit unfair I think because most people will favor their own DAW anyway no matter what.

But most of all... when we're talking about controlling the DAW then I suppose it determines on control scripts or other ways of support.

Yet when it comes to actually playing with Maschine (so: using it to actually produce sound) then I think there's no big difference at all.

Once you have Maschine loaded and you set up a nice group ('kit') then all you have to do is click the mixer section, click on the IO icon and on the last (master) channel (positioned on the right and probably named "A1") you'll notice the top strip stating "Off". Change it to "Drumkit" and you can play your kit straight from within your DAW, get ready to pull up your (step?)sequencer. This is even (somewhat) easier on the Maschine itself: press 'channel' then select 'Group' using the white button on top of the left display. Then select 'Input' using the white buttons above the right display. Now you'll find the 'key mode' in the lower left corner of the left display.

For me this completely does away with the impression that Maschine would be some kind of blackbox, it obviously isn't.

14. Scaper7

Scaper7 NI Product Owner

feel the same ... i used to use Maschine integrated into Ableton with multi channel setup

when i set it up as 1group per track in S1 (8 is plenty for me), got all the MIDI routing sorted (saved as template), i found it was great for tracking and comping Maschine's patterns on the S1 arrangement screen. For example, S1's 'lanes' let you track out all associated preset or user patterns from Maschine, then effortlessly comp between them all for your arrangement. S1 also has a comprehensive %swing system that allows fairly accurate matching of swing settings on Maschine and S1. (i track a Maschine pattern into S1, then adjust the S1 quantize grid by % until the grid lines up with the Maschine generated MIDI notes on screen)

hands down my favourite Maschine/DAW combination so far

• Like Like x 1
  15. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

Nice. Presonus by far had the best year out of any DAW maker.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  16. D-One

A bit offtopic but do you guys use the "Extract to Chord Track" function? I find this very peculiar, never saw it in any other daw and I am curious to how well it works at guessing Chords changes in Audio.

17. Scaper7

Scaper7 NI Product Owner

haven't used it much in S1 as yet but seems to work just as says it does

• Informative Informative x 1