1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

DDM4000 + Traktor pro (no external sound card)

Discussion in 'DJ Controllers' started by JasperW, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JasperW

JasperW New Member

Hi,
    Is it possible to use the DDM4000 to control traktor on my laptop without using an external sound card?
    I connected the DDM4000 to my laptop with a midi to usb cable and connected my speakers to the out B channel. When I open traktor I can control two channels with the mixer but I can't use any other features, my headphones don't work, and the sound comes out of my laptop in stead of out of my speakers.
    Can anyone help me?
    Thanks!

2. djGorgeous

djGorgeous Forum Member

The ddm4000 is a mixer, not a soundcard.
    Mixers are used to "mix" different input channels

A normal laptop soundcard has only one output (stereo).
    You can split the stereo signal up into two mono signals.

the DDM is not a normal mixer, it has the additional feature that it is able to switch certain sections off and lets you send midi signals with the section's controls that have been turned off

With the midi signals you can control your software.

3. JasperW

JasperW New Member

So I need an external sound card?
    If i use the Audio8, will I be able to use all 4 channels with traktor?
    I don't want to use turntables or cd players, just a digital traktor mixer with the effects etc.
    Can you explain how I set something like this up?
    Edit: I just found this video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXowuJDXhhU
    That's exactly what I want (except for the bcd3000 in my setup)

4. djGorgeous

djGorgeous Forum Member

If you want to use your mixer as a mixer instead as an midi input device you need an external soundcard. (because there need to multiple channels into your mixer)
    if you use an audio8, you have 4 stereo outputs which you can route to your mixer (thats the setup that i have)

if you do not want to use an external soundcard you could use 2 of your channels (SET TO MIDI) to control traktor, and use traktor in internal mixing mode (thus needing only one output). that one output you can route back into your mixer (or directly into your amplifier) on one of the channels that you have NOT used up with midi.

5. JasperW

JasperW New Member

Ok i've tried your second suggestion, I can use the mixer with two channels for traktor but i still have one problem: I can't pre listen a channel with my headphones because I only have one output. So I guess I do need an external sound card if I want to use the headphones?

6. djGorgeous

djGorgeous Forum Member

that is correct, i forgot about that. you can do it however if you split the one output you have into two mono outputs, but i guess that is not what you will want.

so the short answer is yes you need to have an external soundcard.

7. JasperW

JasperW New Member

Thank you for helping me!
    I think I will buy an ESI gigaport HD sound card. This gives me 8 outputs so I can use all 4 channels on my mixer with traktor, right?

8. djGorgeous

djGorgeous Forum Member

correct, but you also might consider the audio8dj, which looks to be built extra sturdy for "on the road" activity. it also has "diagnostic" lights

9. Mishburn

Mishburn New Member

Couple questions :eek: I only wish to use DDM4000 together with a laptop and a software, will using a soundcard such as the USB ESI Maya 44 allow me to use Traktor together with the DDM4000 (AS a midi controller and a mixer)?

If yes, will I be able to use my headphones to prelisten as said before in a separate channel?

And what other soundcards will allow me to do the same besides the "Maya 44" and "audio8" for a price between 250$-200$?

**According to this video the guy is using M-AUDIO 1x1 USB MIDI interface. Is his setup allows him to use the mixer ONLY as a MIDI controller? 4 Channels? Can he use headphones in this case?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjA2MYqzLD8&feature=related

I'm really really super confused hopefully someone can set my mind clear haha..
    Thank you!

10. antreask

antreask Forum Member

You need a midi mixer to control traktor with midi. Or get a midi controller such as vci 100 and a soundcard Audio 4 is fine btw!

11. Mishburn

Mishburn New Member

Yeah I understand, but I can do a lot more on the DDM4000 in terms of everything including controlling traktor with midi. I'm looking to buy a mixer now so that later I could buy pionners cdjs. The DDM4000 fits my budget and according to reviews that I've read this mixer gives me the most bang for the buck ;)

I just want to clear some stuff about connecting the DDM4000 to my laptop..
    ughh.. still confused..:(

12. JasperW

JasperW New Member

Hi!

I connected my DDM4000 to a laptop with a gigaport HD soundcard. This card has 8 outputs which ables me to use the 4 channels on my DDM4000. With the maya you will only be able to use 2. For MIDI I used a MIDIMATE 2 usb cable.
    With this setup you can use midi to control traktor functions and mix externally by using the mixer.
    I hope this can help you.

13. Mishburn

Mishburn New Member

Thanks a lot for ur help! btw how's the mixer? like it? does the sound come out from ur speakers instead of ur laptop? and headphones work as well?
    Thanks again!

14. JasperW

JasperW New Member

I really like the mixer. You get alot of value for your money. Sound is good + many functions and effects!
    The sound comes out of my speakers, i just connected them to my output (A or B, doens't matter). And I can use my headphones to prelisten tracks because I mix externally.
    With the setup I have you can fully control and DJ 4 channels.

15. Mishburn

Mishburn New Member

That's awesome! thanks again man! can't wait to buy the mixer :D:D

16. ps2madboy

ps2madboy New Member

Hello

i am new here looking to buy a Behringer DDM 4000 to use with traktor scratch Pro

Did you get it fully working all 4 channels

maybe you can let me know the setup for it and was it fully mapped

I am a Newbie to this, so any help would be great

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.