1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

delay loading projects, groups, autochop

Discussion in 'Technical Issues (Archive)' started by DJ CHILL, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ CHILL

DJ CHILL NI Product Owner

noticing a big delay when opening projects, loading groups or performing autochop

is there any way to speed up loading? what causes it.... anyone know? RAM?

btw - my HDs are 7200rpm

2. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

When was the last time you defragged and/or dumped temp files?

ew

3. DJ CHILL

DJ CHILL NI Product Owner

not so long ago.... i tend to keep the volumes clean - i have two drives.... one is my os system drive with the software on, the other is a sorage drive with the factory soundbank and all my samples on it....
    ---
    i think the groups and projects are saving in the c drive (os drive)

should i move them to the other drive that contains the samples?

4. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

That shouldn't really make any difference, to be honest. Your groups and projects load directly into RAM; you're talking about maybe 2 or 3 MB at the outside.

ew

5. rocadaburn

rocadaburn Forum Member

It`s a well known problem since 1.03 - every Group which sounds contain sampled sounds (and not sounds from the library) is really painful to load :(

as ew said, it`s not much data to stream from the disk. I`ve looked up the files on the hard disk: 16 sounds each with a sliced one bar (stereo?) loop, these are only a few megabytes to load. btw, even if it would be plenty of MB to load, consider
    a throughput between 20MB/s for a low performing hdd and 40 MB/s on a fast hdd directly attached to the E-IDE or what ever => these few files are delivered to the application really fast by the harddrive.
    Another fact which points away from the harddrive: I monitored my system (OSX) while these slow loading times occur: nearly NO harddrive bus usage (only in the beginning of course); really slow increasing memory assignment and 100% CPU load while these slow loading times occur....

I already figured out a coherence, I don`t if the NI team knows about, but it seems reeeeeaaaaallllllyyyy obvious:

when you have a blank group, load a sound and slice it. This slice process takes between 2 and 5 seconds for the application to actually slice the sample, distribute the single slices and MIDI map them.
    ==> It seems to me that when you load a group which contains sliced samples, this slicing process is performed for each sound at loading time, so for example 16 sounds with sliced samples makes (in best case) 32 seconds to load due to Maschine having to slice and midi map all the sounds.

I don`t know exactly if my theory is true, only a developer can really ensure the real cause - if anybody knows more please let me know ;-)

regards

6. alexbuga

alexbuga NI Product Owner

Yeah. You're right. For example if I load the Acoustic Kit... it takes ages, although I don't have the slowest CPU and HDD...

But I don't think it's slicing them on the go. What's to slice in a bass drum ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.