1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Denon CD Decks & Traktor Scratch

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by AndyBrown, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyBrown

AndyBrown Forum Member

Hi there im having problems when using Traktor Scratch with Denon hardware. At home I use Pioneer CDJ's and have no issues with the system however in two different places of work there is Denon CD decks and both express the same issues.
    Im currently running it on a Macbook 2.0 with 2GB of RAM. I believe I have been using the latest version of Traktor Scratch 1.2.0.010 and the latest drivers.

The problems I have been having can be seen here
    [ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=de5nEsRedWs&feature=related"]YouTube - Traktor Scratch Malfunction[/ame]

Someone posted in the comment section that the cd's have volume issues but I have tried turning the volume down however although the issues seemed to solve there is still regular skipping of the audio tracks.
    Should the CD's be turned down in volume by a certain level of dB's or does anyone have a solution to this problem.
    The models are the DN-D4500 and the DN-S3500 cd decks both having issues.
    Thanks
    Andy

2. DJ James Lake

DJ James Lake NI Product Owner

-15db and make sure you have the latest firmware on the 3500s with the serato curve turned on

3. AndyBrown

AndyBrown Forum Member

thanks I will give this a try tonight I didnt know about the audio curve will have to try that this evening thanks, Andy

4. AndyBrown

AndyBrown Forum Member

OK i've now tried it with the timecode cd's burnt at -15db I have also tried with the audio curve on and off but im still having issues. The pitch fluctuates like shown in the video, not as frequently but its still an issues. There is also still issues with skipping from the cds.
    The version of firmware on the DNS3500 CD decks is 099 I believe the most up to date.

It works perfectly on my CDJ800's.

Can anyone recommend me any other things that might address the issues.
    Thanks
    Andy

5. AndyBrown

AndyBrown Forum Member

bump really need help with this if someone can help. Cheers!

6. Chris Mayhew

Chris Mayhew New Member

What kind of CD-R's are you using? I have found my Denon D9000 (which has the same drive as 3500) to have bad problems playing certain CD-R's, specifically ritek CD-R's. It tends to skip forwards, which would explain why traktor would believe their is a change of pitch.

7. AndyBrown

AndyBrown Forum Member

Ive tried now with 3 different brands of CD-R burned at 4x. Denon support have told me that Traktor Scratch will work with their players however it is quite evident that I am not the only person with issues!
    It has been suggested it maybe the players this is really baffling me and im thinking of going the serato line because i know it works but the added advantages of the audio 8 tells me to keep traktor.. help!

8. DJ James Lake

DJ James Lake NI Product Owner

It might sound daft but are you sure you dont have keylock turned on with the denons, because it wont work if you do.

9. minimalwage

minimalwage NI Product Owner

Same here, skipping, bad signal with the DENON s5000's

I'm using CD's to control Traktor- I have the Denon s5000's - which I love to use, but are acting odd with the Control CD's.

The first thing I noticed was that it won't re-Cue by pushing the Cue Button ~ which means having to use the Rotator knob to play a track from the beginning. (small inconvenience)

Odd stability issues here and there, not noticing that I've rewound..

The main thing is, that every track at between 10 and 20 seconds will skip a few seconds ahead. It happens once, almost every time, and only once. Even if I play a track all the way through, totally loaded, it is still subject to the "skip at 10 seconds in" problem.

I changed the latency, no help - and I do remember the salesman saying sometimes Denon's have issues with this, but maybe they're fixing it?

Any insights?

-dh mw

10. AndyBrown

AndyBrown Forum Member

hey man I really appreciate your help thank you! Aye I have checked that the keylock is off, im making a video now detailing the problem, Denon have told me "TRAKTOR SCRATCH should work properly with our players. In case the DN-S1000 players are in use for a longer time
    weak drives cause of low laser performance can be the reason for the described problem."

Will post a link to the video when done, once again thanks!

11. AndyBrown

AndyBrown Forum Member

If like me you've been having issues with the 3500's I think I have now discovered a solution and although not completely perfect its more than acceptable to be able to use traktor scratch.

Rip your timecode cd onto the pc and turn the volume down by 15db then burn an mp3 cd with the timecode track this seems to have solved the problems and while its not perfect (some que issues etc) its fine for working with. I done a 4 hour set last night and there wasn't one hitch with the actual audio playing. Now to try it on the D4500's :)

12. Chevez

Chevez New Member

Denon 3500

Hi I read your info. re... the burning of the time code into mp3
    format and tried it but I still get a bit of pause in the tracks.How exactly do you get to reduce by15db and what method you use? I only got Traktor scratch a few days ago but had my 3500s last year.(I dont want to go to serato nor change my decks to pioneers)

13. Wyley

Wyley NI Product Owner

This issue is resolved in tspro but but I would like to see this fixed for ts. Please NI can you just make a patch to make it work for TS?

14. Chevez

Chevez New Member

I am using TSPro and needs help in resolving that issue,do you know how to resolve that.I'm anxious to get this sorted out before I take my system to a gig.
    Help Please!

15. Wyley

Wyley NI Product Owner

I didn't do anything, I just put the original ts cds in my dns 3500 and it plays without those pitch glitches. Do not use keylock.

16. Chevez

Chevez New Member

Are you talking about the keylock on the decks or on the TSPro? However I'll give it a try when I get home,thanks for getting back, I'll let you know if it works out.

17. Wyley

Wyley NI Product Owner

Don't use keylock on your decks and do not use it on the software.

18. AndyBrown

AndyBrown Forum Member

Im not using it with the 3500's anymore however I did get it working with the original traktor scratch. rip a copy of the traktor tracks onto the computer. use audacity (free) to lower by 15db and export to mp3. (u will need to download lame encoder). burn the tracks to mp3 cd.
    I know its a pain but it worked perfectly for me!
    Surprisingly for some reason it just started working for me with the 4500's with normal cds? a true baffler!

19. Chevez

Chevez New Member

Hi Wyley I did have the keylock on on the software and I trned it off.I also played around with the latency settings and got it working on 11.5 with keylock off and did'nt get any problems for 3 1/2 hours with the original disc.I'm hoping that would be the end of this issue for me.(Is 11.5 latency ok or should I try any other settings?)
    Anyways thanks for the help,all the best to you. and to Andy thanks for getting back as well I will certainly keep your info just in case I would have to go that way.
    Later guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.