Digitakt, the end for Maschine?

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by detech, Jan 25, 2017.

1. detech

detech NI Product Owner

Akai MPC Live is gonna make Maschine Studio looks like a plastic toy.
    Same goes for incoming Elektron Digitakt.
    For the same price tag as Maschine you can get a Digitakt, who can do sampling ,drum synthesis and sequencing (external gear too).
    It can work as a plugin inside your daw (overbridge) or as a stand alone.
    check https://www.elektron.se
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

The current word is that Digitakt does not do synthesis. It is a sampler only, and just mono samples at that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

So are you going to get this?

4. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

lol, you can't be serious. This is not competition for Maschine.

• Like Like x 4
  5. wetdentist

wetdentist NI Product Owner

to each his own, but that looks very uninviting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. SlamLiguez

SlamLiguez New Member

Looks interesting, certainly not the END though lmao, could you legitimately see many users of Maschine and possibly even MPC switching to this??

Ill admit, I'll most certainly get it solely because of GAS, niche portability and fun of a standalone, but I'd also wait until the price drops a year later hah. A nice addition to the now growing market but definitely not a serious competitor.(my opinion, anyway)

7. de wouzer

de wouzer NI Product Owner

Analog Rytm, Analog Four and Maschine MK1 owner here

when I bought a rytm, it was the end of maschine (mk2) for me. Although, sometimes I still use mk1 a little bit. This Digitakt looks like a Rytm Light.... so not comparable with the Maschine that can do SOO MUCH... and is also Really good, but plastic and with a sound that needs a lot of processing to become fantastic! (this one I made with no processing at all, using Rytm and Four... this one I made with no processing at all with Maschine)

Digitakt is only the beginning of a new group of instruments for elektron
    I think.... first this one, next is a synth, then a looper, etcetera... Many small components create one new elektron experience...Easier to use, and cheaper to step in and make you addicted than their current Rytm, Four and Octatrack...

I love elektron...
    but I must say that I think Maschine 2 and Maschine Jam is underestimated by many people...
    Love the drum synth, love the lock functionality, love the integration with a DAW, (don't like the community so much, little childish and manyt times unnecessary unfriendly)

To compete Maschine, you need to buy And Digitakt, and a digital synth, and an fx unit... so all together 1800 euro.
    I think this Digitakt is for richkids, pro's and for 30+ working people
    NI is for kids, pro's and working people... but is a very very good 'budget' drum computer.

The thing that conquers Maschine is Push 2, with illegal software.
    I hope NI will go standalone, but I think it's gonna be too crowded in that market segment...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. jbuonacc

jbuonacc NI Product Owner

this has got to be a joke thread.

9. hlf

hlf NI Product Owner

Haha, it's time to read the Maschine manual! :D

10. muleskinner

muleskinner Forum Member

Erm... that looks exactly like a plastic toy to me and I am no NI fanboy!

• Like Like x 1
  11. de wouzer

it's not about the look... with most instruments.
    next to it, it's steal

many elektron users come from Maschine and Ableton, and decided to invest in more expensive equipment. Now elektron comes with an easier to step in concept. not 1500 euro, but 650 fpr the first step. Less possibilities than Maschine, but it's not about the possibilities ;)

12. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

This one of the most interesting things from NAMM this year to me, but not because it's going to "end MASCHINE" or even do much battling with it. I can imagine it possible taking a small chunk of MASCHINE sales, but only from quite a niche and more advanced set of users. I don't think the many new electronic music-makers that get into it through MASCHINE or Push will be considering this instead, for various reasons.

However, it does offer another alternative for those who need the things that this offers that either MASCHINE does too or that MASCHINE doesn't offer or doesn't do well (e.g., MIDI spec stuff). It certainly has its place and I thought it would have been something like this next instead of the Heat and Drive pedals they did.

As soon as I saw this, though, it got me thinking again about ideas of a MASCHINE standalone that is not in place of the current MASCHINEs, but offers "plug-out" functionality. NI could even do a variety of control surface options e.g., one for MASCHINE (and BATTERY), one for REAKTOR, one for KONTAKT, one for TRAKTOR even. Something that would have control surfaces to fit its purpose and allow transferring a finite number of projects/presets with finite sizes etc.
    Although I think plugin support for standalone products will come along eventually (perhaps with NI, perhaps the next MPC), I think an auto-sampling/bounce/multi-sampler feature in MASCHINE's sampler would be sufficient (and interesting/useful in its own right) for any plugin instruments.

Where did you hear/read that? I was also under the impression it was digital drum synthesis with sampling and sample playback.

13. jbuonacc

jbuonacc NI Product Owner

that would be pretty silly of them, Elektron products don't hold a candle to what you can do with Maschine or (especially) Ableton.

anyway, yeah... there has been absolutely no confirmation that the Digitakt features onboard drum synthesis. looks like it's an 8-track sequencer and (relatively simple) 8-part sample engine. with just a pair of L/R outputs. was the Machinedrum-UW a "Maschine killer"? is the Rytm? hell no.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

Check the Digitakt thread on the Electron forum.
    I own an Octatrack and that can't do half of what you can do with Maschine, but then again I don't know of any hardware product that can match the overall capabilities of ITB based products.
    The Digitakt is less powerful than the Octatrack but it does do probability trigs, which is something the Octatrack does not. The advantage of hardware is the standalone capability.

15. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Haven't looked there yet, but I did just skim a few other sources and I misheard/misremembered/whatever, so perhaps it is just sample-based. Even with that though, depending on the approach it takes with those samples, it could be very interesting.

Overall, though, I don't know why any new gear has to "kill" or "destroy" or "end" MASCHINE or any other piece of equipment to be good. Both things can be good. Can't they? :confused:

16. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

I suspect that people who like step sequencing may find Digitakt very interesting, it's basically Elektron's cheapest sequencer and incorporates all the latest sequencer improvements.

17. rudynicoletti

rudynicoletti NI Product Owner

can't be serious!! End of Maschine?! Lol. By the way, Maschine is used by countless pros around the world..

• Like Like x 1
  18. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...some infos, for those who are interested... (start at 6:17)

19. de wouzer

if you compare elektron with NI...
    Many people buy Maschine, Komplete and a soundcard... together around 1200 - 1700 euro (computer not included)
    for the price.... it's not a bad idea to buy elektron, I think...
    so there is some competition.

many people make the mistake that 'more is better'. i know with Komplete, you have 100+ plugins and 30+ synths...
    but I think it is not a bad idea to buy one synth, one drum computer and some fx for the same price.

and for the children here.... I am not against NI. I love it... it's just a comparison

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

But you don't have to buy Komplete and even Maschine Mikro is more powerful than the Elektron boxes assuming you are willing to work ITB.

• Like Like x 1