Digitakt, the end for Maschine?

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by detech, Jan 25, 2017.

1. theinvis

theinvis NI Product Owner

yeah I'm just not going in the direction of the heat, it's very capable but that's what I mean... I'd like to get elektrons take on fx at the other end of the spectrum

2. FrankieFilth

FrankieFilth NI Product Owner

It seems a little odd but, as someone with no prior Elektron experience, I don't personally have a problem with it. I would definitely want the premium version of OB so, I wouldn't really mind paying for that. I can see how some people are feeling a bit jaded about it though!

Yeah, that's what I had read somewhere. My comment was rather ignorant, as I have little interest in the Reaktor [blocks] stuff.. There very well may be some excellentt things going on in that community!

3. theinvis

are the pads velocity sensitive, and what about after touch?

4. de wouzer

de wouzer NI Product Owner

no no

5. de wouzer

6. theinvis

after touch is one thing (but the kind of thing I would expect from the minds at elektron), but there is no excuse for lack of velocity on a drum machine in this day and age. $679...... :oops:

7. bilposey

bilposey NI Product Owner

Maschine not dead
    it just got breast implants
    Her boyfriend Jam
    Would not let
    her go out like that

8. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Completely agreed. The lack of that one "feature" is enough to put me off a product like that.

I would personally have liked it to be more than sample-driven too, but that's not what Elektron wanted to do and so not what it is.

9. de wouzer

from perspective of maschine, i can understand
    but the volume parameter is always near...
    never need sensitive pads....

10. theinvis

from the perspective of a drummer!
    especially when they specifically add other features to humanize it like the probability etc.. no velocity is an oxymoron at this point, but like 36 said it's not what they wanted. I would have liked for them to include a drum synth as well but what I think is happening here is one of two things, either the other stuff they are coming out with is supposed to cover these aspects/omissions or they are testing the water with this, and intending to come out with an upgraded model at some time because you just don't make a box today like this and not give it the option to run on batteries, and with products like the mpc live out there you can't claim there is any good reason to not put a battery in it. I'm still jonesing for this as it is but at this price + the possibility of them coming up with an updated version next year with battery, velocity sen pads, drum synth, stereo sampling, better sample editing, and more sample time .......... I will have to wait cause I would be quite disappointed if that happened. If they would have just allowed it to run on batteries allot of people would have purchased it as a companion for the mpc live, they would have made a great live set/computerless duo.
    I wouldn't pay more than $399 right now.

11. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Same. Although it doesn't look as cool and the feature set and direction is different, I'd go for an Electribe Sampler over this.

12. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

No pad velocity is not actually an issue for any of the Elektron boxes (it is not something you see owners complain about). The parameter lock paradigm allows you to easily step modulate volume.
    Price is an issue for all Elektron boxes, though arguably the A4 represents good value for money when compared to the analog competition.

13. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Except for the Rytm, which has had numerous complaints about its pads' velocity (because the pads are awful and may as well not be velocity-sensitive). So maybe it's best the Digitakt doesn't have such pads...

Modulating volume with p-locks/modulation is not the same though and that velocity control is not complained about says more about the Elektron users than anything. Making the boxes more playable in this way, alongside the advantages and power of the sequencer, would open up another group of users. But it's their product and it's not what they want it to be.

14. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

If you owned/used an Elektron box I doubt you would complain about lack of velocity sensitivity, there are plenty of other more annoying things to complain about.;)
    On the samplers and drum machines different velocities cannot trigger different samples although on the synths velocity is a modulation source.

15. theinvis

if you only draw in your drums, or step sequence your drums then sure it's not important, but if you also play in your drums it's the most important thing whether there is layering to trigger other samples via velocity or not.

16. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Ha! That's fair enough. Velocity is pretty important to me, though, and at almost every stage of the production process, so I think it would be a major gripe for me and is one reason I've never gone down the Elektron path.

I'm definitely with you, but I'd also say it's important for step sequencing. At least, it is for me. Other than perhaps motif one-shots and big kicks, I rarely don't vary velocity between hits, even when step sequencing (made very easy using the velocity sensitivity of the pads in Maschine).

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

For sure if finger drumming is your thing then good quality velocity sensitive pads are of prime importance.
    Bear in mind that the lack of velocity sensitive pads has not diminished the appeal of the Roland TR8 or the predecessors it is based on.
    You can of course live record into Elektron boxes but I would suggest their forte is in the post programming of basic patterns.
    Like everything different strokes for different folks.

18. theinvis

yeah I'm not a finger drummer, but I play the drums and when I make music I usually play the patterns on my drum machines. I don't use a Tr8 but I agree with you... different strokes

19. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Yeah, different strokes and different folks and different designs and purposes and products and ideas and whatever. But the lack of such fundamental features (e.g., velocity control) does diminish the appeal of products (e.g., drum machines) for those who want it. It obviously doesn't diminish the appeal for users who don't care about it.

But anyway, that's just me (and invis). Fixed velocity is probably more sought after than dynamics in general anyway... TURN IT UP TO 127!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

This is really a threat to maschine?