Digitakt, the end for Maschine?

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by detech, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Not sure threat is the right word, but for some potential buyers, it will be a consideration and is, therefore, competition, even if not as directly as, say, MPC Live or Push.

2. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

If you are willing to work ITB, I can't see Digitakt (or any of the Elektron boxes) being a threat to Maschine. Huge differences between these devices.

3. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

Don't forget the absence of velocity sensitive pads does not mean all sounds have to be at the same volume level.
    When you have made a recording using velocity sensitive pads have you never had to go in afterwards and adjust the volume of some hits?

4. theinvis

theinvis NI Product Owner

only if I'm live step sequencing, or drawing in, otherwise no

5. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

I can only guess this thread was trolling. The Digitakt has about 5% the functionality of Maschine.

6. Wun Lung

Wun Lung Guest

Maschines biggest threat is NI 's lack of development and failure to fix long standing issues

• Like Like x 3
  7. mljakobsen

mljakobsen NI Product Owner

Thats true
    The integration with a DAW is simply not good enough since v 1.8.
    I just don't understand NI and kind of given up on them

8. de wouzer

de wouzer NI Product Owner

it's not about specifications/functionality, its about usability & sound quality

9. AureVoir

AureVoir NI Product Owner

bet it still can't write midi into logic pro x though....

10. de wouzer

they are struggling with overbridge... the latest version has problems with mac, apple changed usb drivers just before the latest release....
    at 12 minutes in this video, simon explains they ask money for overbridge to have more resources for development

11. AureVoir

AureVoir NI Product Owner

im not impressed :)

12. Bertotti

Bertotti NI Product Owner

Elektron is a bit of a different world to work in. I had an analog keys for a few weeks, money made me return it, I would however by it and their other products if I had the cash. Maybe I am the odd guy out but their way or working in the box suited me much better then Maschine does and they sounded great! It isn't no apples to apples comparison but like was mentioned their above they are a consideration for some. I have pulled Maschine out and started Messing with it again no doubt some things about it are great but the same can be said about Elektrons products.

13. de wouzer

Digitakt is soooooooo cool!
    I am afraid i really have no need to use maschine anymore

I use it as a synth
    I use it as a looper
    I use it for just bestmaking
    Love it to chop up Amens

Amazing sound
    No better groovebox than this, for me

14. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Just curious, what do you think are the main and most important advantages of the Digitakt over Maschine?

15. de wouzer

1: instant fantastic sound
    2: only sample manipulation, you will master them very well (unlike komplete, too many possibilities, people dont really master anything)
    So limited amount of options
    But possible to make drumpatterns, synth (with short loops) and samples like vocals, etc...
    Everything can be reached within seconds.... no menu diging but with 2 hands direct controll over everything
    3: no computer
    4: with computer, overbridge integration with DAW is really nice
    5: build quality, maschine (mk1) is a plastic toy compared to this steel one...

I like maschine, it helped me on my road to make live electronic music...
    But info for this, and i think for one year only this... to nail it

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  16. jbuonacc

jbuonacc NI Product Owner

we can assume that the answer would equate to "i barely use any of the (hundreds ??) of things that Maschine offers, which the Digitakt could never". if someone can "replace" Maschine with the Digitakt, then they're using Maschine in the most basic ways to begin with.

EDIT: yep, mostly a bunch of irrelevant nonsense. :D

i guess it depends on what your needs are. the Digitakt looks very nice though, for what it is.

17. de wouzer

Only one Amen break
    All sounds (Inc bass line, really all) come from one drum sample.

18. jbuonacc

jbuonacc NI Product Owner

that's so cute. :)

so, like swapping a BMW for a bicycle. pretty neat if that's all you want to do.

lol @ all the CLICK CLICK CLACK CLICK CLACK CLACK CLACK

19. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I dont find it very impressive either.. looks like a toy to me, no offence, i dont mean to be rude in any way.
    But if it fits your production style better, you like its workflow then go make those bangers, at the end what matters is that you like it and are having fun with it.

20. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

It never ceases to amaze me why people equate quality with steel boxes. Small manufacturers generally do not have the wherewithal to put their gear inside custom plastic casing (it being far easier to get a local metal shop to knock up a steel box and drill holes in it).

If you think the steel box is giving you better value for your money I suggest you compare the amount of metal in the £700 sampler to the amount of metal in a £300 washing machine or even a £30 microwave oven.

Elektron boxes are basic rectangles and the rubber feet are just stuck onto the bottom plate (which is why I can't hang my Octatrack from the lid of my keyboard as the feet slide off. No problem hanging my similar weight Maschine Mk2 from my keyboard lid). Also not sure that Elektron have a particularly enviable reputation with regard to reliability.