DJ Techtools can do it, Why Native Instruments people can't do it?

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by juanfran121982, Nov 7, 2013.

1. juanfran121982

juanfran121982 Forum Member

Last day I saw a video from DJ Techtools trying to imitate a Step Sequencer of Maschine or even Ableton in a Remix Decks. The result was very amazing and I think is very interesting.

The video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvgVgrtc1oc

In my point of view, also users of Traktor F1 could do it even better than this Midi controller. I'm not saying that Native Instruments must to adapt a Remix Deck into a Step Sequencer like this video, I want to say that Native Instruments should to create a new Type of Deck, for example called: Step Sequencer Deck or even could call it Maschine Deck. In this deck we'll have a complete new Step Sequencer to use with the Kontrol F1. Native Instruments have all the necesary to do it and they know very well al the process of Step Sequencing with other software: Maschine. Why don't they do??

It's a very good suggestion. For example: Users of Maschine (those who own one) and those users who own a Kontrol F1 could set this type of Deck in their Traktor software. Somebody who don't have a license of Maschine software and a Kontrol F1 hardware could't do it. Easy, and also is a way of earn money. Another option to control this Maschine Deck or Step Sequencer Deck is directly with Maschine, but I personally would like with F1 because the dimensions are the same that other controllers DJ like X1, X1 mk2, Z1...

Another type of suggestion is that users of Kontrol F1 cannot pre-listening in external mode. This is a fail which solution is to add another channel to can pre-listen Remix Deck in the software.

The last suggestion is that Key Color Tag should be showed always, not only when you press the key Tag.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm learning the language but I hope everybody can understand me.

2. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

3. jobro

jobro Forum Member

Cool idea.

4. juanfran121982

Here is another example. I don't like very much because is a Remix Decks which has been adapted to a Step Sequencer. If would see a new Type of Deck....in which you can see all the information of the Step Sequencer...It would be incredible!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtDKWf3TyF4

5. juanfran121982

Well, we have in the next video how how Henrik Schwarz is using the Kontrol F1 as a Sequencer: I suppose in Ableton Live, but I'm not sure 100%. It would be perfect if instead of ableton would be Traktor. Can you imagine this?

[video=youtube_share;hyVq--qZVEI]http://youtu.be/hyVq--qZVEI[/video]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  6. mastermc

mastermc NI Product Owner

it's not that they can't, it's they don't want to

7. dj wo k

dj wo k NI Product Owner

...hahaa i think you can already do that, work your mapping .. use beat phase out as same in trigger play slot with different value on itch slot between -0.5000/0.5000 : ? 4?8?12?16 for a complete step sequencing = 625
    ex: -0.5000-625 = -0.4375 ..

1beat phase out :device target :ch01 cc001 range -5000/-0.4375
    1slot cell1 trigger in:remix deck?:slot 13 :ch001 cc001 hold

2beat phase out :device target :ch01 cc002 range -0.4375/-0.3750
    2slot cell2 trigger in:remix deck?:slot 14 :ch01 cc002 hold

etc ..slot15,16,9,10,11,12,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4 ;)

8. juanfran121982

This is quite complicated for me and for normal people without a complex knowledge about Midi files. People usually want to connect the controller and use it ( it is normal).
    In fact, too many people is going to start to use this controller ( It is already for sale):

9. TroyMichael

TroyMichael Forum Member

Very interesting thread and point here. I believe NI could have done this with ease. Perhaps the reason that have not is that there not that much money it it for them. Companies like NI making DJ controllers are now focusing on low end, entry level gear for the wanna be DJ. That is where they have the biggest market and can sell the most products with ease.

Advance DJs that demand stuff like a Traktor Sequencer are the minority hence little from for profit and very little R&B goes into making stuff for advance level DJs. So i think in the future we will see more niche products from companies like DJ tech tools that will cater to advance DJs.

Props to DJ Tech tools

10. Stevan

Stevan NI Product Owner

F1 Traktor sequencer is great idea - also a bloody expensive one

11. ghz.tomash

ghz.tomash New Member

Hi guys! I'm the original designer of the remix deck sequencer, I'm doing a final batch run until the end of this month, If anybody is interested this is the last chance.

http://digitalwarrior.co/

12. mastermc

batch run of what ?

13. Notanon

Notanon NI Product Owner

The more I think about this, the more I believe that it would be a relatively few simple lines of code to be implemented in the existing remix deck configuration, using mostly if and else conditional statements. NI would just need to add a toggle for step sequencing mode, a sweep through the samples loaded to determine if the sample should be triggered or not based on the tempo and position within a bar or phrase, and a sample select mode triggered by holding a sample select button and then touching the desired pad/sample to be sequenced, with perhaps a different colour to indicate if the sample is being used in a sequence or not.

Couldn't really be much more complicated than that, surely. Unless it is being held off until Maschine integration is ready.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  14. for all those

for all those Member

just say yeah, and get a free one if its prototypes

can just get a korg nanopad for £22

15. mastermc

no thanks

16. for all those

for all those Member

mans never heard of batch runs, you should watch more OC choppers and pimp my ride type programs, you either get a prototype with no fancy paint, or the first few hundred commercial products

but then you will probably have to answer the questionaire

17. dj_smex

dj_smex NI Product Owner

I believe the best way to add a sequencer is by adding a new recorder and save the MIDI files. This way it's not limited to just remix decks but can also be used for beatjumps, loops and will be a competitor to the flip feature in serato. The recorder would double up as the player, limiting it to one MIDI track but like the looprecorder dub recording may be an option.

18. Stevan

Stevan NI Product Owner

This mapping turns decks C and D into a very basic remix deck sequencer for any controller with 16 backlight buttons. Part of the LED feedback that you need for sequencer already lives inside Traktor and it's called the Freeze Mode Output. slice cell states are used to output the slicer play head when the feature is ON and the second part are modifiers and some way to properly midi link many mapping devices all together. Since the Freeze Mode in the deck C is internally synced to Traktor master clock there is no such thing as midi offset but you can always nudge the deck tempo to create a swing effect.

Deck C: Track/Stem Deck / Play ON / Freeze Mode ON / Loop Is Active / Loop Size=4 / MIDI OUT
    Deck D: Remix Deck / MIDI IN / Play ON / 16 Step Sequencer

I'm sure there are other ways but this was the most obvious one to me.
    Happy mapping.

19. -Yul-

-Yul- NI Product Owner

^^ Hey Stewe,
    great idea to have used the slice mode for that. It's very clever. I used to use the beat phase but that's way better, more precise.
    Great work.

• Like Like x 1
  20. dj_estrela

dj_estrela NI Product Owner

nice trick indeed!

• Like Like x 1