DJM900-NEXUS Traktor Certified Mixer from Pioneer - Review & Pics & Discussion

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by chilly, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miloopa Kid

Miloopa Kid NI Product Owner

Over the years i learn to believe in Pionners quality and stability but not their prices.
    I think this is a winner though and the new wet dream of every Traktor scratch user from now on.
    Thanx for the info !

2. Wyley

Wyley NI Product Owner

+1

Although I won't be buying one ,I'll finally be able to break out TSP in my neck of the woods if this thing gets installed.

Now scratch live users will be investing in multicores. :lol:

3. princesultan

princesultan Forum Member

yup, pretty happy about that. but only 1 usb slot. doesn't that defeat the purpose? a perfect club install would probably require 2 usb slots.

4. Wyley

Wyley NI Product Owner

I rather switch one usb cable instead of fiddling around the back of the mixer to change wires.

The cost,

Playing your first track off a cdj.

5. loopbg

loopbg NI Product Owner

what's this obsession with the 2 USBs? if it's for transitioning from 1 DJ to the other - come on, can't you just play 2-3 tracks off a CD for the time setting up ...

A reason for two USBs to be useful is to have two DJs play at the same time on the same mixer - a team set of some kind. If you do that, either have two mixers or have the mixer with the built-in audio I/O abd connect an Audio4/8/6/10 DJ in the line-ins for the second computer ...

TSP2 will auto support auto configuration of the Audio Interface, so it's very likely that the transition time will be even smaller.

6. princesultan

princesultan Forum Member

of course i can, but i'd prefer just to be set up and going from the get go. i don't burn tons of cds anymore, and actually, i only burn backup cds with a few tracks in case my laptop crashes. if i'm coming on after another dj, i can't predict which track i'll be playing beforehand, and this is where i'd like my computer set up and all my music at my disposal at once.

7. obvious alias

obvious alias Forum Member

My only gripe is that I am not a fan of cables coming out of the faceplate of the mixer, so I wish the USB port were located with all the rest of the relevant I/O (I'm still not sure who actually uses the mic input on DJ mixers to be honest... But that's just me and my opinion). I have had this gripe in regards to the placement of the headphone jack for years, but I do realize that Pioneer is targeting venues who will likely install the mixer, so the jacks on the faceplate make sense in that regards. It just bugs me is all...

Glad to see that it is TS Certified!

Curious to see actual US street price. It may be a metter deal to snag an 800 as their value is certain to drop with this new guy being on the market.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  8. DjKurtCocaine

DjKurtCocaine Forum Member

(i should really post this on the pioneer forum but i can't be bothered to make an account just for this!)

Why are people saying the new sound card is such a big step up in audio quality just by looking at the numbers? It's meant to be 24bit/96khz... So what!
    Audio CD's are only 16bit/44.1khz so all that extra 'quality' is just wasted!
    Therefor, the sound card in the 800 should have been good enough for CD quality audio but people still moan, proving the quality issue is more the card design than the card specifications.

Moral of the story; Don't trust numbers, trust your ears :)

*rant over* lol

9. dmenace

dmenace NI Product Owner

@ DjKurtCocaine, its a producer thing, for mp3 dj's this does'nt matter at all.
    A small step for mankind, but a huge step for pioneer :p

10. Pakman

Pakman NI Product Owner

WestendDJ claims it would cost £1599.
    http://www.westenddj.co.uk/Product/PIONEER/Mixers/DJM900/

But I don't know man, I would much rather save up £300 more and get the DB4.

1 Up for the DB4 then?

11. Miloopa Kid

Miloopa Kid NI Product Owner

Some of us use Flac all the way :cool:

12. expertphp

expertphp NI Product Owner

I still like my S4 + Maschine more than pioneer's stuff like nexus :D
    Some words from pioneer: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lThb-k8O2os"]YouTube - DJM 900 nexus Official Introduction with James Zabiela[/ame]

13. dahJah

dahJah NI Product Owner

14. loopbg

loopbg NI Product Owner

DB4 is not officially TSP certified yet, afaik

+1. like it better!

15. Pakman

Pakman NI Product Owner

It's wacked how Pioneer always claims previous existing technology already in other equipment as their own groundbreaking ideas. And then see everybody falling for the media/marketing hype. Like when Nic Fanciulli makes it sound that it's the Nexus making it possible to run Traktor and Machine at the same time.

The way James promo-ed those effects are: How to take a perfectly produced track and pretend it's yours by effecting the crap out of it.

I think it's time A&H get some DJs behind them and do some proper marketing.

16. XDeeJay

XDeeJay Forum Member

who will do marketing to a&h paul van dyk ? by using ableton ? or dubfire by using traktor ?

A&H is following Pioneer now . since when they do digital effect mixers ?

17. Pakman

Pakman NI Product Owner

True. It just seems that A&H always let Pioneer get away with their slice of the cake by never really making the performers understand how awesome their mixers really are. They have a huge following nonetheless, but then always allow Pioneer to butter their bread, which is baked much better. If that makes sense.

18. dahJah

dahJah NI Product Owner

How are they following Pioneer when their mixers a more advanced? :confused:

19. Pakman

Pakman NI Product Owner

Ace! :D

(XDeeJay is a mega Pio fan)

20. XDeeJay

XDeeJay Forum Member

A&H is following Pioneer by creating digital mixers

what do u call this :D advanced ?

@ pakman : true

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.