Do you create "Instrumental" or "Vocal" songs with Maschine?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by LoveEnigma, Jan 10, 2019.

1. LoveEnigma

LoveEnigma NI Product Owner

Just a simple question. I was curious to know from you guys what kind of music do you usually make using Maschine. Because the Maschine ecosystem and the Expansions are, I think, mainly targeted for beat making and production, so it would be interesting to know this. Of course, I am not saying we cannot do any particular stuff with Maschine or not, in fact we can do almost anything with it. I am interested to know the number of people making instrumental songs vs vocal-based songs.

Thanks! :)

2. Lestael

Lestael New Member

I tried to make some rock or metal stuff with Maschine.
    But I do continue to use Cubase ... and use Maschine as a VST.
    It seems easier for me for recording audio vocals or guitars.

3. muitosabao

muitosabao NI Product Owner

One of my projects, with vocals (fully recorded, produced in Maschine. But it's not the most comfortable experience):

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

I think that whatever support you use, the only limits are your imagination and your technique

5. wetdentist

wetdentist NI Product Owner

i've done a couple things with vocals & guitars in Maschine, but will never do that again (as long as the software continues as is)

6. LoveEnigma

Thanks for the replies so far. However, I would appreciate more if the answers are more objective.

Your experience might not have been comfortable, but I think the result is awesome. Great song, I really liked it. Also, you have a very good voice. Keep up the great work! :) Have you released this song commercially?

• Like Like x 1
  7. RudeGullit

RudeGullit NI Product Owner

Working with vocals is imho really hard in Maschine. I usually do some sort of demo (or cut up version of vocals, depending on how I work with a vocalist) in Maschine, more a guide for the structure of the track, and then mix the vocals (and track) in ableton.

This track for example is made entirely in Maschine, only the vocals and melodica were added in ableton. Plus automation and dubbing. A rough version of the melodica was made with midi, but I got a player to do his version, which was way better.

I like how I can arrange scenes and patterns in Maschine. I work really fast with the studio, so I can work well with a vocalist. A verse can be made longer or shorter really fast. The mayor part of mixing and pretty much all of the sound design is also done in Maschine.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Spekwerk

Spekwerk NI Product Owner

I only do instrumental tracks in Maschine. I bring them into Reaper to do vocal work.

• Like Like x 1
  9. muitosabao

muitosabao NI Product Owner

Thanks. It's not my voice though, it's my mate who's doing the singing :)
    I did send it to a few labels, got a few pats in the back but no one bit the bait. So for now, it only sits on soundcloud.
    But just to elaborate a bit more on my process, this was more of an experiment to try the audio module when it was on beta. Now i get a better hang of the process, and if you are organized (record audio in a fixed number of bars, chop the recording in 8 or 16 bar parts using the slice mode in the sampler, create patterns/scenes with 8 and 16 bars etc) then it is totally possible. But definitely not flexible.
    Here are some screenshots of the project:
    https://imgur.com/a/FxOZy

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. LoveEnigma

Thanks for the insights in your workflow, I appreciate it. That track sounds great by the way. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  11. LoveEnigma

Okay, my compliments to both of you then. :)

Thanks for explaining and sharing the screenshots. Its good to learn about Maschine from fellow experts. That project is pretty dense for me for Maschine. My DAW projects are dense, but with Maschine I am taking step by step.

I have not explored the audio module, but I should do it pretty soon. :)