1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Do You Hate Using Maschine As A Plug In?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by sevgotbeats, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevgotbeats

sevgotbeats New Member

i have been using maschine since day one and i have to say that this is the best piece of equipment for making beats. I recently bought the miko lxd and I never use the bumpmp drum pads. In my opinion, maschine is 100x better. In any event i too was getting frustrated trying to make beats with maschine as a vst. Some of you may have tried to do this and some of you may have not but here are a few suggestions to make the workflow close if not equal.

1) I recommend that you have a dual monitor. If you don't have one then it can be frustrating flicking back and forth from daw to maschine on one screen. This was my biggest problem. I hated working on a beat and then having to flick back and forth. Having the dual monitor will allow you to leave maschine visible throughout your session as you would as if it were running standalone. Most of us are getting so nice that we rarely need to look at the screen anyway.

Maschine works the same whether it is a plugin or standalone. Some of the features may not be available via hardware but they are there.

2) PLAY BUTTON - so we can't hit the play button. Just hit the space bar. 9 times out of 10 your keyboard is right next to your maschine. hit the spacebar to trigger your equipment and get to work. You dont have to stop maschine while cooking music. You can easily hit the record button on and off to prevent recording sequences you don't want.

3) Tempo - Most of you probably know what tempo you want before you even start the track. So just set it off with something. THe Miko has a tap tempo that works well so it allows me to adjust it on the fly. Im not sure if other daws have a knob to control the tempo on the fly but maybe there is a slider you can midi learn it to.

4) DRAG & DROP - I don't know how you mix your records but most of you probably mix in a daw now. This is a great feature that allows you to easily export your maschine tracks on the spot. Try it out and experiment. It streamlines alot of the exporting and importing that you would usually do.

These are some of the ways that I work around the whole maschine plug in thing. It may not the best solution for all of you but hopefully it helps some of you. With that being said i need to check out the 1.5

2. Rawtunez

Rawtunez NI Product Owner

It isn't bad but it does seem to take up more resources as a plugin

3. _ceone

_ceone NI Product Owner

+1000 for the point 2 :)

4. donfuan

donfuan NI Product Owner

"Do You Hate Using Maschine As A Plug In?"

let me think...

No! I love it!

5. Altruwest F Major

Altruwest F Major Forum Member

yes its not working in some people's ideal manner, but overall it really works well and gives you so many options and potential working methods. Its not really all that restrictive as some people try to make it out to be.

6. saintjoe

saintjoe NI Product Owner

there are plenty of workarounds when using it as a plugin

I still prefer it standalone, but plugin isn't bad, especially when using it in ableton live.

I'm going to try it and see how I like it in studio one, but nothing really beats ableton live in the daw world when it comes to production workflow for me.

7. reverand

reverand Forum Member

I prefer standalone. If the VST had more than one out I'd use it more. I like to get the clean audio separation and I can only get that using Maschine standalone and VAC.

8. stahlblau

stahlblau NI Product Owner

Hi,
    maschine has 8 outs in vst mode!

For me maschine works great in vst mode.

9. _ceone

_ceone NI Product Owner

when I run in vsti mode I don't like to use the maschine sequencer mainly because of the lack of control of the DAW transport.
    And also because I prefer using the sequencing capacities of the DAW, for example playing many midi patterns of the same group at the same time. this is a feature that I would love to do with maschine in stand-alone.
    I mean for example: for a group with drumkit doing a pattern with hithat a pattern with only snare etc ... and superimpose them it would be easier to make break when sequencing.

10. flux302

flux302 NI Product Owner

i use it as a stand alone then as a plug in when it comes down to tracking . though i will say there are a few things i wish it would do better (mainly as an AU ) but for the most part it is pretty amazing. but then again anything that makes me not touch my mpc has to be a pretty major thing. oh btw when i know I will be doing alot of sample work that will most likely benefit from timestretching then i tend to use it as a plug in ( probably my biggest peeve with maschine)

11. TJ

TJ NI Product Owner

Studio one is very nice. Has a very similar workflow paradigm to Live.
    ---
    Oh and to answer the question; no i don't hate it! I don't love it because when i'm in a daw i have to use mousey which i don't like but maschine makes it more bearable. :D

12. Rawtunez

Rawtunez NI Product Owner

id pefer using it as a plugin mainly because i like doing everything in the box.

13. trusampler

trusampler NI Product Owner

Me too, I mean I'm doing this to ultimately track out everytime I turn on my cpu,not the other way around..When I use an Mpc it's not on standalone basis ever, I know some guys who don't touch cpu's with their mpc,but hey floppies and all that are dead,have been dead..
    My Mpc is integrated in my daw period. The same thing should happen with Maschine, and as far as all the midi work arounds which appear to be painful ,I gotta say man, if Maschine worked plain n simple like an Mpc as far as midi ,it would be so much better... Mpc = simple midi in/out with all cc support, obviously transport support - control whatever you want.. So yeah I would say the vsti sucks for me right now.

Though I hope this is exactly what they are really working on , I mean the sp1200 emulations are cool but you guys do software for a living,this should have been ready to go on day one imo..

14. saintjoe

saintjoe NI Product Owner

yeah it's pretty nice so far, definitely not the same when it comes to lives session view though, which is where I do all of my work in Live. But I'm still learning it.

15. Merchant

Merchant Forum Member

I'm with saintjoe.

Prefer it as a stand-alone, but if I have to use it in a sequencer, Ableton works nicely. I'm using it in a live situation at the moment and it's doing the job quite swimmingly.

16. scoobycarolan

scoobycarolan NI Product Owner

I'm with SaintJoe. Standalone and using drag & drop (which I only discovered last night). Does Reason 4 have D&D? I'd start using it again too.

17. Funky D

Funky D Forum Member

You can't load VSTi's into Reason, but you could probably export the MIDI from Maschine into Reason to control Redrum, etc.

I haven't used Reason since getting Komplete/Kore a few years ago, but I did miss Redrum (until I got Maschine :D )

18. Supamonsta

Supamonsta Forum Member

I use Live for composition and live shows since years,

so I only use my new maschine in plugin mode, and it is really great (I'm new to maschine so I can't even say what are the parameters that are not accessible from the hardware when used as a VST yet... )

I have all routings made in live, and 2 maschine VSTs. Massive on one track is accessible, sequençable and tweakable via maschine (using also the massive controller template
    ). Maschines output each their 8 groups to 8 ableton tracks, then each corresponding group re-routed to subtracks (maschine1-group1 + maschine2-group1 => audio 1, etc.)

I can record midi and/or audio realtime, sequence external synths in maschine or live, sidechain what I want...

For the play/pause DAW trigger from maschine vst, I have a little workaround:
    Assign EACH 16th pad of EACH group to midi out, with each time the same note and channel number.
    Use a midipipe or midiyoke style free virtual midi router and get this midi signal back to the daw, and assign this note/channel to the play/stop button of the DAW...

a bit complicated, but really cool! ;)

(you can even imagine when using stuff like midistroke or bomes midi translator to have pads triggering keystrokes that help using the DAW non-midi functions, like the ableton live browser, navigating the scene view, copy/paste... )

MASCHINE+LIVE IS DA BOMB.

The only major problem I have with the plugin version is that it lacks a resizable screen like the standalone version.

Size apart, for me the plugin is 100% efficient. (indeed I take a second monitor with me for gigs...)

cheers

19. scoobycarolan

scoobycarolan NI Product Owner

Monstre~ If you look to the top of the plug-in under options, you _should_ find small, medium, & large for the size. I can't remember exactly where I saw it.

20. Supamonsta

Supamonsta Forum Member

Tanks Scoob',

I saw that but it can't be freely resized at will...

and none of the 3 sizes really fits my gig dual monitor.

cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.