does anyone use kontakt5 with cubase 8 on windows? (successfully..)

Discussion in 'Technical Issues - KOMPLETE (Archive)' started by William98, Jan 17, 2015.

1. William98

William98 Member

Can't seem to use kontakt5 as a vst within cubase8 .. 64 Gb memory on windows 7, fast processor, but fails on loading a single large instrument. No help from steinberg so far, not sure whether this is a kontakt problem or a cubase problem or something else. Tried complete rebuild of windows, installed cubase, then installed kontakt5, nothing else on the system, still have the failure.

One thing I did was use non-default path names for the installation ... not enough room on C drive.

Ideas?

Got a fast processor, tons of memory, RME HDSPe AIO sound card with latest drivers.

2. Nirrad85

Nirrad85 Member

I'm running into this same problem...Althought I use Studio One V2, but the guys who built S1 came from the Cubase camp:D...

I'm running 32 GB of RAM with a 3.5 GHz 8-core CPU from an internal 1 TB HD...I seem to have plenty of memory, but the processor seems to not be able to handle the load after 3 intstruments because it starts spiking wildly and the sound starts to cut in and out.

As many folks as I'm seeing on here experiencing RAM/CPU load issues, who seem to have top of line, powerful machines, I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't NI's coding...You would think by now they would have these issues worked out so we can just be creative, and not computer technicians...nothing worse to kill your creativity, than when the technology itself gets in the way. :(

3. UltimateOutsider

UltimateOutsider NI Product Owner

If you are just saying that you selected alternate folders when performing your Komplete installation, that's not a problem. But if you moved your files after the fact, there are a variety of issues that can result.

There are a number of reported plugin compatibility issues with Cubase 8. Some are Steinberg's fault, some are plugin vendors' fault. Everyone's scrambling to fix these things; it will settle out over the next few weeks. With Steinberg you generally have to give them time to release at least one major service pack before things are stable. (The mini update they released the first week of this month was just a handful of fixes for things the engineers knew already existed at the time of C8's initial release; it doesn't cover most of the problems users have reported.)

4. Nirrad85

Nirrad85 Member

So I tried something else today...It worked in Studio One, maybe it will work in Cubase...maybe it has something to do with the ASIO drivers of your Audio Interface...I was using a digidesign mbox 2, and getting CPU load spikes like crazy trying to play back sounds...I was getting all kinds of cracks and pops in the playback...so I switched to my AudioBox 22VSL...Playback is perfect...what is weird is that I still get my CPU spikes up to 100%! But as long as the sound is okay...I won't worry about it...if you have another AI, try switching to it...

5. William98

William98 Member

Nirrad85, I posted elsewhere about what fixed the problem for me: Cubase (64 bit) was using a 32-bit vst plugin. Had to go in and delete the 32bit plugins and tell cubase in the plugin manager where to find the 64 bit vsts.

6. Nirrad85

Nirrad85 Member

Nice! I thought Cubase had that bridging software that allowed it to run both 32 and 64 bit plugins together? JBridge or something like that?

I know in S1 I'm still running in 32 bit mode because of most of my plug ins, but I might consider jumping into the 64 bit version here soon, because I'm really digging this one guy's ideas on youtube...Recordingrevolution...He talks about using as few plug-ins as possible to achieve a great sound. His "rule" he's kind of penned for music production is "limit your options," which is kind of interesting...anyway he explains what he means in one of his videos...pretty cool dude.

Anyway, sorry for going off on a tangent, but long story short...I'm thinking once I make the jump to my 64 bit Daw, my memory problems will probably go away...I read on here somewhere that 32 bit daws are locked to only using 4 gigs of ram, and Daws use 2 gigs of that available space...or maybe just S1 uses 2?? I forget.

7. William98

William98 Member

Yes, "VST Bridge" identified itself as the fail program. But all was fixed when I once again deleted the 32bit Kontakt plugins. I think the update to the latest Kontakt 5 version must have re-reinstalled the darned things.

8. UltimateOutsider

UltimateOutsider NI Product Owner

So, do you guys keep your 32-bit and 64-bit plugins in the same folders or something?

64-bit Cubase and 32-bit Cubase have their own preferences/include paths, and Native Instruments installers all let you specify different folders for the different OS platforms. If you only tell 64-bit Cubase to look in your 64-bit plugin folders (and specify 32-bit location for 32-bit Cubase) you can avoid these surprises.

9. Freddie H

Freddie H NI Product Owner

I have and use powerful computers with Cubase PRO 8 x64 in both Windows 7x64 and Windows 8.1 x64.
    I use INTEL I7, 12 core, 32GB RAM and DELL Lap top I7 with 16GB. All use NVIDIA.

Zero problems so far with Kontakt 5. Are you sure you all use the x64bit versions of all your softwares? I only have the x64 version install on my systems.
    I have no problems loading projects and samples with over 6-9 GB RAM or sometimes even more...

If you use the x32bit version of Kontakt or of Cubase, that explains the problems and issues you all experience. I would suggest you un-install all and anything called x32bit on your systems. And in the future, don't bother install legacy VST x32bit softwares on your setup.

Best Regards
    Freddie

10. William98

William98 Member

Yes, deleting the 32bitters is necessary, because cubase, at least, seems to make a point of searching out and using the 32 bit version by preference even after you tell it to use the 64 bit. And nothing in the kontakt plugin identifies it as 32 bit, so one might think one was using the 64 bit version that was specified. So: on a 64 bit windows system, with a 64 bit sequencer: seek out and destroy the darn 32 bit kontakt that kontakt installer has installed secretly.

11. Freddie H

Freddie H NI Product Owner

A guide how to install VST2 x64 softwares in Windows x64.

Some installers continuously prompt the need to always install all the cheesy x32bit versions. NI installers wont let the user have the option to deselect all x32bit versions. So this is how I always install all my VST2 softwares. VST3 versions you don't need to worry about this. VST3 is smart and use only the VST3 x64 versions in a x64 Host.

How to install x64 VST2 plugins.

1. First of, create a new map in "C:\Program Files" and call it "x64 VSTPlugins". on disk ----> C:\Program Files\x64 VSTPlugins

2. In that new created "x64 VSTPlugins"-map you will place all x64 VST2 plugins in the future that you want install on your computer. Other 3part manufactories too that still use VST2.4 plugins.

4. Create another new map inside that location "x64 VSTPlugins" and call it "Native Instruments" on disk ---> C:\Program Files\x64 VSTPlugins\Native Instruments

5. Now go to C:\Program Files\Native Instruments and create a new map called "VSTPlugins 32bit" ----> C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 32bit

6. When the NI installer ask were to place all your x64 VST2s plugins. Prompted to the location ---> C:\Program Files\x64 VSTPlugins\Native Instruments

7. When the NI installer ask were to place all x32 VST2s plugins. Prompted to the location ---> C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 32bit

The beauty with this way of procedure and installation is that you are in control what the DAW host should recognized in your system.
    The DAW won't know or recognized were all the VST2 x32 versions are placed on the disk. The only thing you need to do now once, is that in your DAWs like Cubase, SONAR etc. add the new x64 VST location, --> "C:\Program Files\x64 VSTPlugins" only so your DAW can find the x64 VST2 plugins.
    The x32bit location you don't add or locate in your host at all.

Do this with all your 3 part softwares and plugins in the future. It would better if we can skip the x32version completely but until that day comes we need to continuously do it in that way. Like I said earlier, if you use VST3 version you can forget all about this. It handle all installation procedure automatically in a smart way. Many software manufactories provide VST3 formats today. I then skip installing VST2 versions completely.

Best Regards
    Freddie

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Aleksandar

Aleksandar New Member

Dear friends,
    I have a problem with Cubase 7 64 bit. Can't see the Kontakt 5 in program but all dll files are there in vst folder. Kontakt, Kontakt 8 out, Kontakt 16 out. I tried to install in every vst and still nothing. Tried clean reg and still the same...C: Program Files - Steinberg - VSTPlugins. All my vst are here.
    Any help?

Thank you so much...

13. Aleksandar

Aleksandar New Member

Hi Freddie..

Tell me please, does my cubase 7 will see my other vst when I create new folder for vst 64?

14. Silamanagic

Silamanagic NI Product Owner

I'm looking forward to trying this vst mapping solution on my machine. I'm not using Cubase or S1 but rather Sony ACID Pro 7, which is a 32 bit application. I purchased the Komplete Kontrol s61 and installed the bundled software. Things work pretty well except for instruments that utilize Kontact. I get crazy errors with subsequent crashes when loading a single instance of Kontact on a fresh project with only 1 midi track. Kontact works fine in stand alone mode. I have a feeling it has something to do with the plugin.

Is an uninstall reinstall of Kontact necessary or can I simply copy/paste the vst .dll files from the default location to the new location recommended above?