1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Does my latency seem typical?

Discussion in 'Technical Issues - KOMPLETE (Archive)' started by futurefields, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. futurefields

futurefields New Member

I recently picked up GR3 and I do have somewhat of an older system but the amount of latency it's telling me I have still seems rather high.

My setup:

P4 2.4ghz w/ hyper threading
    2GB dual channel ram
    [2] 7200 RPM HD's
    nVidia 128MB gpu
    Presonus Firebox

My firebox is set to 6 ms latency, but Guitar Rig is telling me I have 19 ms of latency - that's a 13 ms difference. a very stressful 13 ms. It says Input = 7.6ms, Processing = 6ms, Output = 5.5ms.

Now, obviously this is upsetting because the reason why somebody buys a firewire interface in the first place is for the sub 10ms latency. Now that's out the window.

Is there anything that can be done? How does GR3 determine input/output latency?

And one other question, is this latency reporting difference more common than most people think, and just not often accurately reported in programs?

i've always assumed if i set my firebox to 6ms latency it's going to be that across the board, and if the cpu can't handle then you get drop outs. not the individual programs automatically adding its own amount of latency.

2. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

That's normal. Most programs don't tell you the truth about how much latency there really is. It's not that latency that matters, it's how well it does under high CPU strain.

3. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

What Marc said. Most apps and interface drivers only report the output latency of the drivers, and don't report input latency or processing time.

ew

4. futurefields

futurefields New Member

i did that test with my antivirus and wireless networking on. would disabling those help with latency?

5. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

Sometimes, but not really. You will have better performance, but that won't make the latency go up/down.

6. futurefields

futurefields New Member

i see. basically guitar rig is telling me my input and output latency alone is 13.1ms so even if i has an ultra fast computer that could run guitar rig somehow with 0ms latency in the software, i'd still be looking at 13ms real latency before the signal even reaches the speakers/headphones.

7. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

Yup, and that's VERY low...

8. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Yep. That's the equivalent of being 13' away from your amp.

ew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.