Duplicate Presets in Kore 2 (Reaktor 5,Kontakt 4 & Absynth 5)

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by davidbroaders, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Nice one!

2. chico jones

chico jones Forum Member

THIS DOES NOT WORK on WIN 7 64! I lost all my ratings and attributes. I hate all of you.
    ---
    Native Instruments Fix This So Your Users Don't Have To Give Boneheaded Advice That Undoes Weeks/months Of Work
    ---
    Oh nice, this "solution" also made my soundpacks lists disappear. Well that's an easy fix, just delete koredb. It's not like I have any ratings or attributes to worry about losing. :angry: :angry: :angry:

3. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Well you should have backed it up first. That goes without saying. Did you follow thePostman's advice? I can't see how that would lose ratings etc. The deleting and rebuilding one does but you had plenty of warning that would happen. It's not ideal.

4. chico jones

chico jones Forum Member

I do have a backup koredb. It's still a bit of a problem getting the soundpacks to show again and restoring all my ratings and attributes. I've resorted to taking screen shots of all the presets with the backup koredb. Then I deleted the backup koredb to recover my soundpacks. Now I have to look at the screenshots and manually re-enter the ratings based on the screenshots.

Of course it's ridiculous that any of us have to do any of this. FIX THIS NI.

5. thePostman

thePostman NI Product Owner

!Simple Solution doesn't work!

:( I am feeling terribly bad. As some of you already now, my simple solution of moving the files doesn't work! Yes, you won't have duplicate files anymore. But you will loose also your ratings! I didn't see this at first, because I allways put most of the files in a other folder where I can save them modified. So all these ratings were still there, but not the ones of the moved files. I am so terribly sorry about this.:(

6. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

That's a pity - it sounded like a good idea. It all comes back to the fact that:

Keeping the ratings in the database doesn't work as the database can become corrupted from time to time or need rebuilding due to duplicates

Putting the ratings in the Koresounds themselves is also a bad idea as they would get overwritten if an updated ksd is installed and also saving a rating would be modifying the sound file which could lead to problems

The only logical solution to me is having the ability to export and backup the ratings database as a separate user modifiable text or xls/csv or even xml file.

7. chrys

chrys NI Product Owner

Was this bug ever resolved acceptably? I know there is another thread on this, trying to track it down...

8. wetdentist

wetdentist NI Product Owner

previously, i was given advice on how to fix it, but it didn't work at all. i'm almost done with my several-month-long-project of rating and categorizing my Kore database, and all the double-presets are getting tagged "double preset"

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  9. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

If you are tagging them why not just delete them from the database?

10. chrys

chrys NI Product Owner

I have that same issue where, when I right click and open the containing folder on two different dupe presets, they show the exact same file and pathname... I just want to finish star-tagging the presets from the soundpacks and then figure out how to remove the dupes without losing those tags. I've seen your other post on this, Kymeia, but I have just saved the text and haven't had a chance to digest that yet.

By the way, is there any way to put KSDs like your MF stuff in a folder in such a way that it shows up in the list of soundpacks instead of just in the main list of all KSDs? Ie, creating your own soundpacks that would appear alongside Scarbee, etc

11. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

No it seems only NI can make their soundpacks into libraries that show up in the soundpacks tab.

If you have dupe presets and want to remove them you can rightclick on them (or several if you use ctrl or shift click) and delete them - just be sure to delete from your database only, not the physical file (because it's only the entry that is duplicated).

That doesn't resolve the underlying problem though which is that Kore has a terrible tendency to create duplicates - it is listed as an outstanding bug

12. wetdentist

this is my situation

13. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Yeah that's because there is just one ksd file - there are two entries in the database. You can delete one entry from the database without deleting the ksd itself but Kore should not be doing this in the first place.

14. wetdentist

the duplicates that won't go away are generally those from Reaktor, FM8, & some of Kontakt

15. chrys

chrys NI Product Owner

hi Kymeia, finally tracked this thread down... When I right click, delete is grayed out... Any idea if I need to change permissions on the kore db in mac in order to delete the duplicates?

Any other new thoughts or solutions to this one other than creating your own categories and storing all your presets in those? Also doesn't seem to be any batch work that can be done from the kore interface, ie selecting multiple presets and moving them to a 5 star category all at once...

This is really something that should be fixed before Kore is dropped by NI...

16. ginko

ginko NI Product Owner

On Mac, for Soundpack ksd duplication (N.B I DO NOT use the star rating system so cannot vouch what happens to them):

Locate: Library/Application Support/Native Instruments/Shared Content/Sounds/Libraries/ and then the pack's folder you are having the problem with. Move it and the ksd's it contains somewhere else (temporarily to trash is fine)

Kore- preferences- full scan.

Now move the folder back to it's place.

Kore- full scan.

Sorted.

Much safer than deleting your kore.db file