Electric Sunburst Guitar - I regret this purchase

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by Elmo2020, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Elmo2020

Elmo2020 New Member

Had a great Black Friday this year and got a lot of useful stuff, but this piece was not one of them.

I read the page, watched videos and the fact that this is not a completely playable instrument was never alluded to.

Opened it up for the first time in a production session tonight and wonder why I can't play single note lines, like any other instrument can - every note is triggering an arpeggiator. And that's not the featured patterns, those are turned off. Okay, I'm new to NI and Kontakt player, I'll search around.

And I'm not the only one caught out: https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/electric-sunburst-warning.341773/

This page (https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/guitar/session-guitarist-electric-sunburst/) does nothing to inform buyers like myself correctly and this phrase "A perfectly captured, playable electric guitar" directly promises playability, ie, being able to play lead lines and create patterns. Like any decent guitarist can do.

But not with this you can't. Now I see a deluxe version that can do what ought to be a bare minimum.

---
    This really pisses me off. I put a lot of effort into finding legal, free and quality alternatives for my production needs, and learning to use well what I already have. Logic already has an enormous wealth of good almost everything. But really quality bass, piano and guitar I decided I needed.

I sppent most of Black Friday weekend researching Piano Noire and the Rickenbacker, and am absolutely stoked I bought them. The Noire is the best piano I found anywhere for the specs, easily. Incredible. I'll dissuade friends from Ravencroft, Pianoteq and even Spectrasonics now. And the Rickenbacker is an absolute beast.

But this is borderline false advertising from NI with the Sunburst: if the plugin instrument is missing an essential feature of the instrument it emulates, it should be made explicit. Imagine a piano plugin that harmonises every note you play, and you can't turn that off.

I've chucked 70 NZD away on something I have little use for here. On sale that's not even worth it to me. Obviously can't resell it or get a refund, and it seems like NI is another Amazon-type juggernaut with no contact, and a read-only community support page.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Matt @ NI

Matt @ NI NI Team NI Team

Hey Elmo,

You would indeed need to have the deluxe version to have the features you're after: https://www.native-instruments.com/...r/session-guitarist-electric-sunburst-deluxe/
    Believe it or not, there is a lot of users out there that use our Session Guitarist instruments without the need to play melodies or create patterns. Some instruments such as our Strummed Acoustic do not even have these features at all and are still very popular.

If you need to contact our team, you can do so via email or chat on our order support section here: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/sections/360000092537-Order-and-Payment

Thank you!
    Matt

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Elmo2020

Elmo2020 New Member

I can believe people find uses for it. But that's a really limited functionality that I think needs to be drawn very clearly on your page, where it's not, and it misled me into buying it. My first language is English, I am an experienced music producer and have a rather high level of reading comprehension.

It's effectively the same as if a piano keyboard was advertised as fully playable, and it were permanently stuck in children's 'single-fingered'/self accompaniment mode. And you have to upgrade to be able to actually play it like the instrument it is advertised as. That's not 'playable', that's semi-playable. That's limited functionality.

Thanks for the link, I've sent an email.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Matt @ NI

I can see it could create unnecessary confusion but I'm not seeing "fully playable" anywhere on the page. If it reads as such, it sure should be edited to just playable. I would still agree that the instrument is playable but then we get into a debate about semantics. Electric Sunburst was one of our most popular instruments and we still feel our product page has the right information for users to make a sound purchase decision.

Let me know if you need any help with our Order support in any case :thumbsup:

5. Elmo2020

Elmo2020 New Member

Someone in your team has replied to me via email, which I appreciate. He notes that the Deluxe version was developed largely because of this same feedback/complaint. As such, it seems really obvious that the information does not provide your customers with the info for a sound purchase

6. Matt @ NI

Glad to hear that !
    The deluxe version was developed because some of our users wanted extra features not because the original version was misleading ;)
    We've been doing instruments in our Session Guitarist series before and all had the same format.

7. Jan Matejka

Jan Matejka New Member

This is a really pity. Now I know why I spend hours to find a way how to play a single note in this instrument:) OMG why this is not possible? I like the sounds and this instrument so I ask why??? I have bought for the first time Komplete 13 because of these instruments. And now I can't play solo guitar because "deluxe" is missing in this package?:) What solo guitar with this quality should I use in Komplete 13? Do you plany to change it? (How many problems are waiting in my lovely Komplete? After not possibility to map MIDI controls in Masive X now I can't play solo guitar)

8. Lab Rat

Lab Rat NI Product Owner

Why can't you resell it?

9. Elmo2020

Elmo2020 New Member

I don't know about Massive and I only have Kontakt player (I don't plan on getting Komplete) but yes, I was equally frustrated! A guitar that can't play melodies?? Definitely felt tricked and ripped off. I've since upgraded to Deluxe because the support team on email were accommodating. I love the upgrade, it's definitely inspiring me and it makes the whole intstrument really very useful!

10. Elmo2020

Elmo2020 New Member

How could I resell when I already have the serial number? Genuinely asking, though now that I have Deluxe I'm happy

11. Lab Rat

Lab Rat NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jan Matejka

Jan Matejka New Member

Yes I did the same. It is uselessly annoying to have two products for one purpose but the final product is really very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  13. Elmo2020

Elmo2020 New Member