1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Emulate an Ensoniq ESQ-1

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by myvryn, Sep 10, 2014.

1. myvryn

myvryn NI Product Owner

Hey there, I'm new to Reaktor, and I'm enjoying it's power and versatility so far. Back in the 80s and 90s I used to own an Ensoniq ESQ-1 and I absolutely loved it. I'm thinking about trying to recreate it using Reaktor.

Before I go through that work, however, I was wondering if anyone knows if an pre-build ensemble currently exists.

Thanks,
    Eddy

2. Big Gnome

Big Gnome NI Product Owner

The waves are nothing really special--just a bunch of 8-bit, single cycle waves. You can download them from the buchty site as raw data or AIFF (well...from the SQ-80 ROM, which contains all the same stuff, plus a few additional waves). I used to have a spreadsheet mapping out all the waves' positions across the keyboard, which I can no longer find; from what I recall, the waves all range from 256-4096(?) samples in length and are mapped in 8-note-long groups across midi notes 0-127--increasingly bandlimited samples are used in order to crudely mimic antialiasing. It would be really easy to design a wavetable oscillator in Reaktor to mimic the (E)SQ's pretty accurately (although probably not the best for a first project...)
    Otherwise I think the difficulty of emulation would depend on how accurate one wanted to be. For example, the LFOs are 8-bit wavetables; the envelopes could be handled pretty well with Reaktor's 4-Ramp envelopes since it's a linear, bipolar five stage EG--in the hardware those are also 8-bit, although they're basically multiplied with the 8-bit oscillator waves for 16-bit dynamic range if I recall correctly. But you could probably get away with using standard modules without necessarily going into such atomistic detail.
    The filter would probably be the trickiest part to nail (filters are always tricky...) It has kind of an unusual sound that's very low-midrage heavy and it does not self-oscillate. Furthermore, a big part of the ESQ's character has to do with lightly overdriving the filter.

Anyway, food for thought.

3. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

I think it would be quite awesome to try and make an SQ-80 in Reaktor with all the features it had. SQ8L is amazing and so light on CPU, but it's pretty much abandonware, no host automation, doesn't store the patch bank in host project (only the current edit buffer), and it's not multitimbral, nor could its polyphony be increased (those were all features planned for its payware big brother SQ8X which never happened, and it looks like never will)...

Anyone who wants to have a go at a proper and deep ESQ-1/SQ-80 emu has my vote!

4. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

i would love someone to do this in Reaktor.

does anyone here remember Adamski - one of the first so called keyboard wizards on the UK House Music scene - who used to gig with one and a 909 and Yamaha sampler.

sowari

5. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Who built me a Dynamophone by Thaddeus Cahill or Ondes Martenot by Maurice Martenot?
    What´s about Sackbut by Hugh Le Caine?

6. ZooTooK

ZooTooK NI Product Owner

Boscomac

• Like Like x 1
  7. myvryn

myvryn NI Product Owner

Thanks for all the input so far. It will be a lot of effort, but it's a cool project to try to learn how to use Reaktor, I suppose. Albeit a lot of work just to get my "LAYER sound back.. :p

8. myvryn

myvryn NI Product Owner

Arrrggg.... Turns out that the SQ8L is 32 bit. I've been trying to avoid installing JBridge (I use PreSonus Studio One and there is no built in bridge). I'll keep playing with Reaktor and see what I can build.

Thanks!

9. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Just use Reaper for SQ8L. Works fine with its own bit-bridge! :)