Event-Smoothing...

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by carsten151974, Jan 15, 2012.

1. carsten151974

carsten151974 NI Product Owner

does someone know an elegant way to smoothen eventsignals without using the smoother-modules. the thing is that i have blending sequenced effects.. it works like all signals are muted, the one which is set to play turns then to full volume... so the signal in that moment is looking like a square... this ends always up -even if just a bit- but you get kind of popping... if u cut audiomaterial you use tiny crossfades... how could i do that with a module... i'm thinking of building my own smoother with a delay-module and a counter ( kind of that ) ... did someone else build something like that before ?

kind regards

carsten

2. arachnaut

arachnaut NI Product Owner

I don't know if this will help, but it is a control rate ramp module that smooths event signals.

It is found in a lot of ensembles. I don't know who authored it.

Attached Files:

3. carsten151974

thank you.. i'll try it out today

4. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

i think this tends to be used to smooth event data going into an Audio Input. the author is James Walker-Hall.

anyway, i have found a few smoother macros in an old macro folder, so i have put them into an Ensemble and uploaded it here.

sowari

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. carsten151974

thank you a lot, had a quick-look and think they are quite useful.. nice post

6. arachnaut

arachnaut NI Product Owner

duh... I guess anything with an A/E is for audio.

That is a nice collection. Thanks.

7. AndroidAndy

AndroidAndy New Member

1-2-5

The '1-2-5' macro in this screenshot effects the behaviour of the 'Osc 1' control knob...resulting in a smoother, more natural volume change. Is this what is know as event smoothing? (Just trying to get something straight here) :confused:

Attached Files:

8. robin746

robin746 NI Product Owner

sowari, thanks for all of those macros. but now this is confusing me. Some are so complex... to do a simple thing like ramping between values. I am sure I am missing something, but why so many methods to do the one thing?

9. colB

colB NI Product Owner

hehe, nothing worthwhile is ever simple.

Ramping: for some applications, you might want to ramp at a steady rate, and you're not bothered about how long the ramp takes. for others, you might want to specify how long the ramping takes, and are not worried about ramping rate. Or maybe you want to specify time, but have a limit on maximum rate that overrides the time setting.

non-ramping: for some other applications, linear ramping might not give the best results - maybe it causes audible aliasing. In that case you might use some sort of low pass filter for smoothing.

Then there are Reaktor specific issues: Do you want to work in primary or core? event to event? event to audio? audio to audio?

I imagine that there a lots of different smoothers because when you're a fluent programmer, it's often less hassle to implement your own device rather than searching for, auditioning, understanding and debugging the behaviour of someone else's devices... then these custom modules get propagated over time into the general library.

When I built bucketZILLA, I have a vague recollection (it was a long time ago) that I had to update the controller smoothing a few times because of the way it had to be integrated with the custom knobs and bespoke patch recall/morphing. There were many issues/bugs relating to initialization events, and the smoothers were part of a control feedback loop that included primary/core transitions and snapshot recall. Each of the smoother iterations worked stand alone, but not all worked withing the context of that device.

10. rickyeffe

rickyeffe NI Product Owner

i use a modified env follower core cell macro as sevent smoother for my latest stuff.
    it support also a total bypass when smooth is set to 0.
    It is not a linear smooth, it's kinda like the lowpass filter used for smooth audio control signals

I've just downloaded the sowari smoothers i'll check them out right now, thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  11. robin746

robin746 NI Product Owner

Good answer colB. I must have been half asleep when I posted the question!

12. Lars Daniel Terkelsen

Lars Daniel Terkelsen NI Product Owner

Should anybody find this ancient thread, like I just did, looking for a smoothening solution, I can say, that I just had great succes of inserting the module Event Smoother from the Auxillary folder in the Built-in library.
    It took care of the dreadful zipper noise when changing filter cut-off or volume on the Junatik synth.
    You can set in milliseconds how fast it will ramp values.

13. herw

herw NI Product Owner

There is a general discussion about it here.
    The best is to use any smoother in a special range [0,1]. Monark uses this too.
    So change the range of the incoming event sources to [0,1], add a smoother, then change the range to its original.
    Mark Wadewitz (aka Quietschboy) and ColinB found a really nice solution. You can find it not in the user library but it is inside EMSCHER:
    smoother.png

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Lars Daniel Terkelsen

Lars Daniel Terkelsen NI Product Owner

Cool. Thanks! I will look it that when I need some really smooth smoothing. :)

15. Moshe B

Moshe B NI Product Owner

I have found a smoothing technique inside some FX the macro name is "Mnogo Smusas" you can find it inside Prism Cabinet or Mertavarb effects. I am not sure who made it
    01.png 02.png 03.png

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  16. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Prism is build by one founder of Reaktor: Stephan Schmitt - IMO.
    He left Reaktor some years ago and build a new business.

This is the info text in properties:
    Reaktor Ensemble by Stephan Schmitt
    Contributions by: Maximilian Zagler, Mike Daliot, Dietrich Pank
    Product Design: Stephan Schmitt, Matt Jackson
    Graphic Design: Gregory Pignot, Gösta Wellmer

Sound Design: Robert Linke, Adam Hanley, Ema Jolly, Stephan Schmitt

Instrument Version 1.1
    (c) Native Instruments, 2013

• Informative Informative x 1