1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Solved External Synth levels too low in Maschine Mk3 When Looping

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Rich Lauzon, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Rich Lauzon

Rich Lauzon New Member

Hi
    I need your help. I've started to mess around with the looper on Maschine Mk3 and an external synth.
    I am using External Stereo in Sampling mode, Input L+ R, I am using the Maschine Mkr3 as my Audio for my PC. I only have the 2 inputs. I am using earphones. I have the earphones setup in Properties.
    I find in order to get a sound out of my external synth, I have to boost the external input knob to almost all of the way and boost the external synth at dangerously high levels to get a not so great sound ...too hot and clippy compared to the internal synths.
    I am in the Sampling page When I switch to the internal synths, they are comparatively at a normal gain and sound quite good).
    Monitor is set to ON and I've turned on the earphone icon in Mixer view.
    What silly stupid thing did I not do?
    Thanks in advance.
    Rich

2. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

What are the levels? Screenshot or video them if that illustrates the problem better.

3. Rich Lauzon

Rich Lauzon New Member

Hi I hope this is what you wanted. I have to put the volume of my synth at around 90%. I have the input knob set at 90% as well. It's a super weak signal.

Normally, the external synth is set to aroun 50-60% ...and it is loud.

thumbnail_image4.jpg thumbnail_image3.jpg thumbnail_image2.jpg thumbnail_image1.jpg thumbnail_image0.jpg

4. HammyHavoc

Ideally looking for what the meters look like when there's sound coming in from the external synths and how it looks compared to the internal ones.

Out of curiosity, what is the external synth you're using? Frequently you have to turn it up in software, which is absolutely fine as it's digital by that point. In fact, if it was me, I'd be more inclined to turn down the physical gain and turn it up in software, that way you aren't potentially clipping it on the way in.

5. Blindeddie

Blindeddie NI Product Owner

Have you turned up the "Mic Gain" Knob on the MK3 (you said Input Knob, but not sure if you meant mic gain)...although labeled "Mic", it also controls the Line input Levels.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Rich Lauzon

Rich Lauzon New Member

It's a hardware sythn (Moog) It is quite loud normally.

7. Rich Lauzon

Rich Lauzon New Member

Hi
    I have the mic gain almost all the way up. Not quite because if I do, there is a lot of noise that becomes audible.

8. HammyHavoc

This is why I'd recommend capturing it at a lower level (lower noise level, less chance of clipping), provided that your signal to noise ratio is decent, then turn it up in software.

If the Moog is normally hot, can you try it on another interface and compare the signal at line level?

9. Richard Parker

Richard Parker NI Product Owner

Well... I don't know exactly what I'm looking at, but if your second image shows the input levels from the Moog, then it's too damn hot (almost clipping). I have a Subsequent 37 and I've never had any issues with my levels in Maschine.

10. HammyHavoc

There's no signal in the screenshots, that's why I asked for more. The meter is white when there's a signal, you can see it here:

11. Richard Parker

There's actually an input signal in the second image the OP posted (and it's way too hot). There's no waveform because he was only checking input levels without recording.

12. HammyHavoc

By second image, do you mean this one?
    [​IMG]
    If so, that's how mine looks on a fresh project before playing any sounds, at which point the signal is indicated as a white line.
    If you mean this one:
    [​IMG]
    Then that's not a hot signal, if it was hot, it'd be approaching the right of the meter.

13. Richard Parker

I was talking about this one. Maybe the faded colors are misleading, but I believe the gray bars are actually the signal levels, and they're clipping (just look at the tiny black area at the top of the meter). TBH I'm not sure at all about what I'm seeing here. Maybe a video would be more helpful. I'm not in front of my Maschine right now, but I think the signal meters are gray when just checking input levels, and they turn white when you start recording.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  14. HammyHavoc

Here's what mine looks like as a screenshot in a fresh project without playing a sound:
    [​IMG]
    The faded grey indicates your headroom before you hit 0dB and clip. I agree though, the photos are hard to understand, they're not actually showing anything. :- )

15. Richard Parker

Yeah, I see what you mean, and you're absolutely right. It's pretty clear in your screenshot, but in OP's picture the gray bars were much brighter, and that confused me.

16. Richard Parker

Maybe it's a dumb comment, but have you checked that you don't have a microphone connected to the MK3's MIC input while you're recording your synth through the line inputs?
    upload_2020-9-17_12-31-40.png

17. Richard Parker

Does the MIC IN Gain also control the line input gain? I wasn't aware of that. I always assumed they were fixed line level inputs.

18. Rich Lauzon

Rich Lauzon New Member

Nope.Good suggestion though. Thanks.

19. Rich Lauzon

Rich Lauzon New Member

That did the trick. :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Blindeddie

Blindeddie NI Product Owner

The answer is Yes...it controls both Mic and Line input Gain.

So it "Was" increasing the Mic/Line gain knob that solved your issue? Please clarify "That did the trick"...just for the record.

• Like Like x 1