F1 and S2

Discussion in 'KONTROL F1' started by soundbwoy, Mar 15, 2012.

1. soundbwoy

soundbwoy NI Product Owner

Will we be able to use the F1 along with the S2?

2. gNNY

gNNY NI Product Owner

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use both. X1 and S1 also work together. So I'd say 'yes, you can use them both at the same time' but as this has not been tested by me it's pure speculation. A very plausible one, but still only guesswork. ;)

3. kraal

kraal NI Product Owner

if you look at the set up pictures it seems that you can

4. uBsession

uBsession New Member

Hey Guys,
    I'm a Reaktor user who thinks this would be the perfect compliment to my set-up, and I was wondering what's the communication protocol behind the hardware knobs, sliders and such.

Is it midi or some proprietary protocol?. I would like to use this as a replacement /enhancement of my padkontrol. The Padkontrol sends good ole GM.

Thanks in advance.

5. gNNY

gNNY NI Product Owner

The other, similar-looking controller, the X1, uses both Midi and a proprietary protocol. This suggests that the F1 might also support both. But it needs to be confirmed.

6. kraal

kraal NI Product Owner

it info page on this website explains what all the buttons do including the 'midi' button

7. fresnobob

fresnobob Forum Member

F1 with S2

this is a good question ( i think). i am trying to decide whether to get s2 or S4.
    i will be getting two F1s as i want to use the hardware to make music, so im not a DJ.
    as the S2 is cheap right now i could get S2 plus maschine for the price of S4.
    but im trying to understand the limitations of the S2 - 2 channels plus the sample decks - i would use the sample decks alot but it looks like they will become obsolete with the remix decks in traktor 2.5. so in theory:
    S2 operating 2 track decks, 2 x F1s for 2 remix decks
    but it doesnt seem like you can scratch the remix decks then, or am i wrong?
    also (sorry!) can maschine sync with both S4 and S2?
    appreciate any thoughts

8. uBsession

uBsession New Member

Hey guys
    Thanks for the reply to my question. @Kraal thanks for pointing me to that interface explorer thingy that's on the F1's main page never noticed that. Seems like you can switch between 3 user modes the Remix decks, the track decks and midi control.

However the "decision aid/comparison" page near the bottom under hardware states that midi is n/a on both the X1 and F1.

Maybe they mean that it doesn't have traditional midi in/out?. or you can't send midi sync?. This thing would be great for making beats. Guess I'll wait and see, shouldn't be too long.
    Peace.

9. scamo

scamo Administrator Staff Member

Trying to possibly answer some questions.

The F1 will work together with the S2 and the S4 like a charm. The S4's sample deck control even gets turned into controls for cues 5-8, which means even more wild beat juggling possibilities.:) Check out this page for the S4 setup example. The S2 would be similar.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/dj/traktor-kontrol-f1/overview/setup-examples/

I believe you cannot scratch the remix decks with the S2, because the S2 jogs do not control the Decks C and D (which would be the remix decks). I could be wrong on this one though.

All Traktor midi-devices have a proprietary midi signal, but they all can be switched on the fly to a midi-mode, where they operate like "normal" midi devices and are also mappable through the Controller Manager in Traktor.

The comparison chart says "n/a" for this:

I think that is pretty clear as to what is meant.;) There is no hardware midi interface.

I also just noticed. You can have up to 4 F1s working together. I wonder if it is possible to have 4 remix decks. That could be very interesting.

scamo

10. kraal

kraal NI Product Owner

Remix Decks allow for spectacular live remixing and improvisation. Switch any (or all) regular track decks in TRAKTOR to a Remix Deck------- this is in the software description

11. TraumaBeatsDrama

TraumaBeatsDrama NI Product Owner

12. soundbwoy

soundbwoy NI Product Owner

Thanks guys.

13. davscanlon

davscanlon NI Product Owner

Thats my mapping there ;) Ive not had to make any adjustments...

...I do however have a few questions regarding Traktor 2.5,

If I'm using my S2 to control decks A&B, how will I be able to scratch and launch the new added remix decks in C&D?

Also, if I do add the F1 to my set up and be able to launch samples in the remix decks C&D, how will we be able to scratch those samples?

Will I have to remap and use MIDI mode to map the S2 to control the remix decks?

I think this is the question all S2 & S4 users will be asking....

14. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor Moderator

Welcome to the forum shrikant44.

Please note we do not allow spam on this forum. This is a final warning and you will be banned if you do it again.

15. djeraleigh

djeraleigh NI Product Owner

I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to have a gap in controllability with one S2 & one F1. I like knowing I have the option to either use 3 Decks for songs & 1 for samples, or 2 song decks & 2 sample decks. Will I only be able to do this using an S4 w/ an F1 or does the S2 w/ an F1 have enough capability to do that?

16. Flexmartin

Flexmartin New Member

I'm also keen to learn about how configurable an S2 + F1 setup would be.
    I'm guessing the S2 will still be setup for decks A&B out of the box, and the F1 would be for C&D. But could we have deck B as a sample deck and scratch samples with the S2's right jog? How far can we go without custom TSIs and people like jiggle.
    Will have to wait and see... More teasers please, an S2 + F1 promo video would be nice.

17. scamo

Um, you are going to be missing a lot of ability to play samples and have a pretty crappy workflow with only one F1, unless you only want to work with 4 samples at a time. With the F1 and the Mix Decks, you have the ability to have 16 samples available to play in one deck. You can, however, only play 4 samples of the 16 at a time.

Also, I believe the F1 will be tied to only one Deck and the only way to change that is to go into the Controller Manager, which isn't the best workflow. You can control either a Mix Deck or a normal Deck with the F1, but only one. So, to get the best out of an S2 and F1 setup, you are better off getting two.

scamo

18. Flexmartin

Flexmartin New Member

Hey scamo, check out the interface explorer in the F1 section. I'm mousing over the 16 pads that make up the 'sample grid' and each one of them triggers a sample, that's 16 samples, then there's the encoder, which cycles through the 4 pages of samples, making it 64 per remix deck, right? Also, Shift + the encoder selects which deck the F1 is controlling.

Also this page gets me going .. http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor-kontrol-f1/?page=3303&content=1899

"Remix Decks allow for spectacular live remixing and improvisation. Switch any (or all) regular track decks in TRAKTOR to a Remix Deck, and you have access to a powerful loop suite made up of 64 slots- build and save your own Remix Set™ and add to it later. "

"Because a Remix Deck behaves like any track deck, you can control the entire Remix Deck via Native Scratch timecode control with vinyl or CDs, or scratch using the S2/S4 Jog Wheels!"

Funny thing is, if I'm honest I don't even need one, still want one though :)

19. scamo

Hey, thanks for the clarification.

Right, you have 16 samples at your finger tips, but you can only play 4 at a time per deck. The only difference the Mix Decks have over the older sample decks is you can choose between playing 4 different samples per slot. 4 slots per deck means 16 possibly samples.

As for the "Shift + The Encoder", if NI has added a way to flip through which deck you are controlling, that is great. I still can't imagine that being a good workflow though.

scamo

20. Flexmartin

Flexmartin New Member

Aah, got it; 4 playing at one time. Switching to a 2nd rmx deck gives 8 playing at one time. Add 2 more decks for tracks and/or more loops... geez, that's plenty, workflow could be better with 2 F1s, but I'm pretty sure one will serve my needs. Don't want to end up with a sonic mess. Think I should load up 8 loops now, to see if my PC can handle it. I'll be looking out for the required machine spec for 2.5.