F1 and S2

Discussion in 'KONTROL F1' started by soundbwoy, Mar 15, 2012.

1. John Laffan

John Laffan NI Product Owner

My question is:

Can all of your brains keep up with the amount of samples being spoken about in this thread! :D Jeez haha

One thing is for sure. I best be seeing some quality live sets being uploaded once this F1 goes viral! :cool:

2. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Really want to make a mess. Use the loop rec. to catch samples load more and so on.
    wow now drop that recorded loop into one sample slot. and repeat action. add some beatslicer action and a couple of scratches this time drop in new sampleslot. Endless possible mess to be made. plus that is only with one remix deck. you still have 3 more decks to fling around.

3. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

that's the strength of the F1 too - you can easily youse one F1 for even 4 decks.

geez, of course NOT... how could NI ever be so stupid and create a workflow like this... nah.
    you can easily switch it between all 4 decks if you want to. the F1 even gives you feedback on what deck is active...

4. DJ Freshfluke

i'm right now in a "collecting" state. i grid all my tracks and i set loops and stuff. i play hiphop, so finding cool loops without cutting the voices in an unwanted way is kinda tricky sometimes, plus you ususally only have a few bars with an instru part per track, which i already have been picking for mixing.

now i'm throwing these loops in the (old) sample decks. let them run loud 3 times, then they're added automatically to the samples list. this way i'm starting to build a library...

5. scamo

scamo Administrator Staff Member

Why do all the F1 demos up till now have two F1s in them and both are used for the demonstration/ session? Those demos couldn't be done with just one F1.

Granted, I am wrong about the F1 being only tied to one deck and needing to go into the Controller Manager to change the deck, but it still has to be a fairly crappy workflow to have to switch between two mix decks all the time. You are literally tying a hand behind your back with only one F1, if you know how to use samples and the mix decks to their fullest capacity.

scamo

6. DJ Freshfluke

i honestly dunno. i dont see a rational reason for this.

Those demos couldn't be done with just one F1.[/quote]
    sorry, but you're wrong.

yes, you are wrong.

you can switch decks via shift + turning the encoder - not that hard, isnt it? :)

the LED display plus the pads additionally show you what deck you're selecting right now.

7. kraal

kraal NI Product Owner

as technology increases creativity goes out the window? more and more people start saying it is impossible to do xy or z cause the controller doesn't allow this or that..
    i dont have an f1 yet but i know in my mind if i need a drum loop bassling ect that will last for the duration of a segment. that can be on a deck that is not accessed as i work on a different deck that needs to be used to trigger and untrigger samples on the fly

8. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Workflow? Everyone has a different opinion of what that is.
    For me 1 F1 will be enough. But having the control to change how the samples work and sets will be the plus.

I cant see myself paying attention enough or having focus to use 2 f1s and keep track of all that . I would have to stop and go to the other f1 anyway.

I used the maudio and xponent which had samplesets and such it was one thing I missed coming to traktor. i think it had 12? samples and quick changes between saved sets. But the f1 has much better control so 1 should be enough. plus I only have ten fingers. haha.

as far as creativity that is the end result. just like a painting or sculpture sound is the result. music can be sticks and a plastic bucket and take more skill than I have got.

9. andreas_gr

andreas_gr NI Product Owner

i have an s2 (with native mapping for deck3 and 4 from traktorbible), X1, F1 ... they all work great together..
    in combination with my apc40 and (since this night) with my novation ultranova keyboard .. the ultranova controls the loop lengths 1/16 - 32, move the loops back- and forwards, switch the active decks)

the f1 is only for remix deck 3

oh, my x1. i don't know how i can integrate it ;-)

10. cheef

cheef NI Product Owner

Scamo, can you clarify what you're saying here, please? I'm interested to know.

I have an S4, X1 and now F1. The only reason I bought the X1 was to have easy access to 8 cue points. If adding the F1 to my hardware means I can ditch the X1, great.

Does adding the F1 really automatically assign the S4's sample banks to cue points 5-8?

11. scamo

scamo Administrator Staff Member

From what I've read (sorry, I don't remember where exactly), the S4 will have a different mapping, when used with an F1, because the the F1 basically removes the need to control the sample decks with the S4. So the sample deck buttons are remapped to control the the cue points 5-8.

scamo

12. cheef

cheef NI Product Owner

Just checked on my F1 and S4 and that isn't the case. Pressing the sample deck buttons starts the top-most sample in the respective Remix Deck.

I wonder if it's an option somewhere?

13. supraman1120

supraman1120 New Member

Yes it is most certainly an option within the preferences. I believe you have to select the Kontrol S4 at the bottom of the preferences panel, and select how you want the sample buttons to function. Currently, I have them set to function as cue points 5-8 with my F1 attached.

I love this F1. Just love it.

14. jbfuller

jbfuller NI Product Owner

Yea, the setup example with the S4 having 8 trigger points was just a logical suggestion, I don't think plugging in an s$ automatically does it. Easily remappable though.

15. cheef

cheef NI Product Owner

And so it does! Thanks.

Anyone wanna buy an X1? :)

16. kontrolking2012

kontrolking2012 New Member

Has any1 used an f1 with the s2 yet. I received my 2 f1s yesterday morning and I am undecdided as 2 weather to keep both kontrolers or 2 send 1 back. Had a go with my f1 last night and gotta say its the best kontroler I've used and will hopefully have a go at useing it with my s2 2night. So how has using the s2 with f1 worrked for people

17. STRYKE2.0

STRYKE2.0 New Member

Used mine with the S2 and an X1. Works great!

18. DJ ROB_Y

DJ ROB_Y New Member

Even though some people have managed to be able to use the Traktor S2 to control 4 decks (2 remix decks) with the mapping,
    I have tried it but nothing changed with my S2 is there anything that I have to do with the mapping apart from importing it?