Solved Faulty Maschine MK3 repair saga

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Whizzera, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Whizzera

Whizzera New Member

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice, the bottom left pad on my Maschine MK3 developed a fault. I sent it off for repair under warranty late November but support have been a bit slow and I still don't know when and if I'll get a replacement.

They think it's lost, they launched an investigation with UPS 7 weeks ago and I've just been advised it will take a further 6 weeks more to "investigate" further, it might be fully covered by insurance but they don't know.

Is this just business as usual? I know NI support don't get glowing reports but has anyone found a way to speed things up?

I've tried a lot of chasing and raising new tickets to ask about any escalation or complaints procedures but they've been closed and the support staff refuse to answer queries on this.

What is best way to make a complaint about or escalate this, is it worth it and what can I expect?

2. Matt @ NI

Matt @ NI Support Team NI Team

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this here. Sorry to hear you have some issues with your hardware support case.

Please share your ticket number via PM so I can have a look at it and review this with you.

• Like Like x 2
  3. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

My recent experiences with UPS were terrible.. I haven't a clue why anyone uses them

4. AggresiveWoof

AggresiveWoof NI Product Owner

What a negligence. This is just incredible.

5. rcmusic35

rcmusic35 NI Product Owner

in my place, there are perfect. used them dozens of times...never had a problem sending or receiving.

I guess we have UPS we deserve..:p. (i'm joking)

6. Whizzera

Whizzera New Member

UPS have awesome support, called them and spoke to someone in minutes, they said missing parcel investigations take 3 weeks. NI support/process is the cause of the delay not UPS. Not sure about the additional new 6 week delay something to do with NI wanting insurance money in hand before giving me a replacement Maschine. Apparently I might have to pay a ransom fee too as they might not cover the full cost!! Seems I'm getting the NI support I deserve too!

7. Matt @ NI

We are doing the best we can but to get this back to you as soon as possible. However, UPS internal process is definitely not 3 weeks long for investigation/insurance claim.

8. Whizzera

Whizzera New Member

Each UPS parcel investigation definitely takes 3 weeks, further delays to replacing equipment are a business choice on NI's part and whether it wishes to put customers or profit first. NI have in this case turned my wait for a replacement into 3 months for this very reason.

9. Matt @ NI

We do apologize for the unusual delay on this issue and are already looking at other options to have your MK3 back to you asap

As far as I can see, the UPS investigation took much longer than 3 weeks because of Christmas and they still have to follow through on the insurance claim once they have ruled the package as "lost". This is not a "business strategy" on our side as your device would be replaced at no extra cost regardless. We simply have to follow the insurance claim and our internal procedure in such an exceptional case.

10. Whizzera

Whizzera New Member

I'm sure many people have lots of positive experiences of support and as you've mentioned this is a rare exceptional case. I definitely wouldn't go as far as saying this was an evil "business strategy" on the part of NI. Maybe "Business choice" the phrase I used was a bit loaded too, I don't think it's premeditated, the process here is just not very customer focused, it wasn't because of Christmas and I hope you fix it for future customers. I've raised it so other customers hopefully might have a smoother ride when repairs go missing, the whole point of this post was to find out where I can complain so you're aware of the issues....and so you can send me a free Komplete Ultimate collectors edition upgrade for all the inconvenience! ;)

11. Matt @ NI

And you are absolutely right! This should be addressed via an open area too even if we are already going over everything privately. It's an opportunity for us to check if the process needs to be reviewed and see where we can improve / how we can get back lost devices more efficiently.
    Let's get this back to you and discuss the rest via PM ;)

12. jt maher

jt maher New Member

I’m curious about where you sent your MK3 for replacement/repair? Riverside, Ca yes....the LA branch of NI??

When you first sent the unit off through UPS Did NI notify you as to if they have even recieved your package/Say that it was lost???

You had to email NI a bunch in regards to your replacement and they then said they never received it?

I ask this (and for many others who get replacements in the future) Are experiencing this lack of communication from their LA branch. (They say it’s a 2-3 week process, Yet more like 2-5 months to receive a replacement back)

Me and another MK3 user have just sent off our defective units (around the same time) to NI’s Riverside, Ca.

It has been 2 weeks since I’ve sent my defective unit out (faulty buttons) and NI has yet to notify me if they have even received my unit. When I know for a fact that UPS has delivered my unit to them (have proof)

It has been over a month for that other MK3 user I mentioned previously, and to no word if they have even received his unit. His unit has faulty encoders (He has also emailed NI LA branch and they wont respond to his concerns)

I think this is just the way they operate (very slow and under false pretenses) because it does happen to other customers as well. Lack of communication and months to receive a replacement back.

I’ve been researching a lot of posts on the NI forums, on the web. It’s very easy to see that many customers have complained and some have gone as far as making complaint reports to the BBB about their LA branch.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

this would make me mad too. i mean, even a week without my maschine would bring me into trouble (psychologicaly mostly). but you have been waiting for months?...omg.

that's one of the reasons i like to shop my important gear in an actual shop. because when it's faulty, bring it back, get a new one (so i'd hope...).

• Like Like x 2
  14. jt maher

jt maher New Member

I’m approaching 3 weeks since I sent my defective unit out. No response, No email saying they got it. Nothing...This other person I know of it has been well over a month now. Again no response, no email saying they received the unit. NOTHING

I get it’s the holidays and I don’t mind waiting months since I’ve already been without a controller for months (My MK3 buttons just stopped working out of nowhere and it was working fine for almost 2 years of use. Kept in perfect condition)

I would rather them be truthful and tell customers upfront that in actuality it could take a month or more to receive your replacement back due to holidays or whatever reason.

My MK3 was out of warranty, and so you then have to pay 89$ service fee for NI to take the defective unit back. Of course you don’t get a “New” unit it has to be refurbished-tested in “like new” condition.

I asked if they could send me a new MK3 because I wasn’t happy that I would receive some possibly used MK3 that could of been in someone else’s possession. They agreed to send brand new, then a few days later came back and stated they can only send a refurbished unit but “like new”.
    (Thats a whole different story I don’t want to get into, but let me say that is wrong and misleading)

I wish I could of took my defective unit back to Guitar Center where I purchased it, and get an exchange but that would probably be way out of their policy since it is already 2 years old and no warranty was purchased through GC......

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  15. Matt @ NI

Hey there,

Again, I sincerely apologize for your experience with our LA hardware support. I would like to investigate how this was handled and so can I grab your ticket number to look into this in details?

Just to quickly comment back on your original post, I can certainly admit that in some cases the process takes a bit longer than we would like to but I wouldn't go as far as saying we operate under false pretenses. We are always available on here to check back for you if needed. I can personally address/comment on any on going support case and try my best to get the team to offer a better response time.

16. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

When I read a few things, a number of things were not done according to agreement.

If you have received an email from NI stating that you are going to receive a new MK3,
    it is now very childish that NI is not sticking to it now.

Furthermore, I find it strange that there is no correspondence about the status of the MK3.
    I assume that sending it takes about three days.
    It follows that the refurbished MK3 could already have been sent back.
    (Or there must be a very large delay in repairing the MK3 that will be used as refurbished.)
    It must therefore be easily arranged in a maximum of 14 days.

Recently received a defective device (not NI), I sent it back.
    From the moment of submission I have been kept informed of the status of the device.
    Even the refund of the money amount was reported via email. It is therefore possible,
    there must only be someone at NI who will implement it.

Communication is the magic word, to satisfied customers.

René

• Like Like x 1
  17. jt maher

jt maher New Member

Thanks Matt,

I apologize for incorrectly stating on how NI LA branch operates. That was uncalled for and is not true.

I thank you for your time and response. The people in charge for handling the return of defective units, and shipping replacements back; There has to be an email notifying the customer that the unit was at least received and a time frame on when you can expect your returned replacement. That would cut down on all this negativity on the forums and complaint posts about the LA branch. Even if it takes 3 months for the whole process, and I was notified that it would take that long I would totally understand, and it would surely put other customers concerns at ease. People are still going to complain unfortunately about every little thing, but at least they have an idea when to expect their replacement.

This is an ongoing issue with defective returns dating back to 2011. It’s very easy to look on these forums to see all the stories from past customer experiences.

Again thank you so much for your time, and I apologize for that incorrect statement.

RMA#: 1911764

Reference #

18. jt maher

jt maher New Member

Yes you have nailed it on the head. Communication is key for Satisfied Customers.

It is what it is, about the sending a new mk3 unit then they came back saying they can only send refurbished “Like new” condition.

It is in NI’s return authorization policy in fine print that they only send back refurbished units. Not a
    big deal because I had previously emailed LA to just ask if there was an option to pay more than the 89$ service fee to receive a new unit instead of refurbished. Frank or Vince from NI customer service was on the other end of that email was just trying to be helpful, and maybe didn’t know the correct terms and conditions.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  19. Matt @ NI

Hey JT,

I have escalated your request so we can start by getting a feedback from our hardware team about the status of your request. As they are based in LA, it might come with a slight delay because of the holiday but rest assured I will stay on this case.

One thing I'd like to address is the promise we made about sending you a new unit. I was a bit surprised such promise was made especially for an out of warranty device and had a closer look. It looks like there is some confusion on the terminology we use in hardware support. Our repair centers never send new units back but repaired or refurbished units matching the condition of the one you send.
    Our agent seems to have suggested that you will receive a device "like new condition" from the start which is essentially the best we can offer in such case. I admit that the term "new condition unit" might be a bit confusing as it still refers to a Maschine that has been taken out of the box once but you still receive a unit which is fully tested and aesthetically in perfect condition.

I hope this helps clarifies this part but happy to answer questions you may have ;)

20. jt maher

jt maher New Member

Totally understand. Thanks Matt for helping and clarifying... There was some confusion in the terms used. I originally was told refurbished-tested would be sent as a replacement. Which is fine.

I was curious about the physical condition of the refurb unit being sent as replacement...so Yes I did email LA to just ask if there was an option to pay more than the 89$ service fee for out of warranty units and that If i payed more can they send a brand new unit instead.

They agreed in an email to send new no extra charge, and yes there was some confusion on the terms and conditions. No big deal because I’m lucky that NI is even replacing my MK3 unit that is out of warranty. No one on the forums and Support Team has ever seen an MK3 act in this defective manner. The strange thing is I did find a few other MK3 users going through the same exact defect where pressing “Events” activates Perform Fx and lights up the touch strip. Very odd indeed.

Thank you Matt for your time. You are Awesome!!!!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019