Feature Request - Arpeggiator MIDI Out

Discussion in 'FM8' started by craptop, Aug 2, 2018.

1. craptop

craptop NI Product Owner

Hi, FM8 has been my go-to synth for many years - I love it! I love the arpeggiator and I use it as the basis for my compositions. My feature request is Arpeggiator MIDI Out to allow manipulation/transformation of the arpeggiated MIDI notes, e.g. to send to MIDI transformation software/synths/modular. Is such an update possible, I have a workaround that I have used for years, but it would be incredible to access the data directly from FM8?

2. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

The info window of vsthost says send Vst Midi Events. But there is no red light at the MIDI output?!?

upload_2018-8-2_22-30-0.png

3. craptop

craptop NI Product Owner

Hi Paule,
    Unfortunately, MIDI data is not transmitting from that output.

4. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

You can take a convert via recognize wave to midi with external prog like Widi or internal of Ableton Live. Last is an info by Brett Lavallee. I don't own Life. But I use Widi 4 pro.

5. craptop

craptop NI Product Owner

That's the sometimes clumsy and time-consuming workaround I have been using for years, Ableton - Convert to MIDI (Mac). It would be preferable to have a live stream of MIDI notes streaming from the arpeggiator, allowing you to adjust arpeggiator: note on/off, ties, note order & pattern length, to create a generative feel to patterns rather than them being fixed post Ableton conversion.

6. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Yes Widi can do this. My one is an old in german version from 2009. My distributer wrote: there is no newer german version than 4.0.
    The original from russian is version 4.5. If I order one have to pay again the full prize. So I use my old one!
    http://widisoft.com/
    I use loopMIDI as virtual cables on pc.
    Download a demo, read the manual to v4.5 and try it out.

7. craptop

craptop NI Product Owner

Thanks, Paule for the information and your input - it's very much appreciated! However, I'm not sure it's an ideal workaround as pitch recognition is somewhat skewed depending on the modulation applied in FM8 and the MIDI notes pitch is often converted inaccurately.
    Anyone from NI care to comment on the possibility of a future Arpeggiator MIDI Out update?

8. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

You can open a ticket at support with your suggestions if you don't like my experimental way.

In foreground I'm a Reaktor enthusiast and call my music output Ambiegarde.

https://archive.org/details/@p_amca
    Listen and download here please.

9. musos

musos NI Product Owner

I really don't believe that NI are interested in feature suggestions for FM8 anymore.
    They just want to sell DJ stuff and new soundpacks these days and there is probably no intention to improve FM8.
    Just my 5c worth....

• Like Like x 2