1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Feature suggestion : Beatgrid using the Traktor S4 hardware

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by ZILCH, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZILCH

ZILCH NI Product Owner

i just saw the pioneer DDJ-S1 serato itch controller promo video
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDW_pL52Y-Y"]YouTube - Pioneer DDJ-S1 Controller Official Introduction with Aeroplane[/ame]
    from 8:10 minutes onwards they show you that you can easily set beatgrids using the controller (unlike in traktor where we have to use the mouse manually and also use metronome as we cant zoom in the waveforms very closely)

is this going to be implemented in the big traktor update as well? Its a GREAT idea! Its gonna make beatgridding tracks much much much more easier and fun than it is now

2. haze324

haze324 Forum Member

Good call Zilch.

I think at a minimum it would be great if would could use shift + jog or another command to move the grid over. I've found many times the BPM is correct but the grid is in the wrong spot. I've not got to hotkeys mapped - delete grid and drop grid maker. It works great when gridding on the fly but only if songs have the correct BPM. If would do this on the controller that would be sweet.

3. ZILCH

ZILCH NI Product Owner

ya - seeing how they make use of the jogwheel and the knob in the video to set beatgrids make perfect sense!

Its like - OMG why traktor didnt think of it before? They should totally take this awesome idea and implement it as a shift function or something , now we can all have a much more enjoyable time gridding our tracks rather than it being painfully tedious

4. commentor

commentor Account Suspended

+1

I'm still waiting for mine (S4), but yes please!

5. Novio

Novio New Member

You guys should really know that tapping shift multiple times (at least five times) adjusts the beatgrid. Best part of this is the fact that he kind of snaps your tapping to detected hitpoints. When grids are out of beat, this function almost everytime propers the grid, making the tapping function really useful and in my opnion is substantial better than it was in TPro.

6. The Fosta

The Fosta Forum Member

Phew! When I saw that spinning red light I thought I'd made a mistake with the s4. But now I've seen the whole vid I'm very happy. The pioneer doesn't look as good, not even close.

I'd never play a song out unless I know it well, so all my tracks are getting gridded at home.

7. santajones

santajones New Member

Found this randomly, SO happy with S4 now. Don't remember reading this in the manual either? And there are no tuts that mention it either. Kudos, sir.

8. Double DutchDj

Double DutchDj Forum Member

Sweet, I didn't know about the Shift tap option either. But also for people who want beatgriding like the new Pioneer itch controller, hit browse+shift together and wolla, S4 midi mode! then pull thumb out of ones lazy ass and create mapping for job at hand.

9. maolam

maolam Forum Member

Am i the only one who can't watch that vid? (private video)

10. Darryljames

Darryljames NI Product Owner

No, I cannot watch it either, can I have a password please Zilch? :)

11. ZILCH

ZILCH NI Product Owner

oh damn looks like pioneer removed the video from youtube

actually its just a demonstration video of the ddj-s1 from pioneer, have no idea why they made it private
    ---
    this is the same video diff link:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCHHTpN9toA"]YouTube - Pioneer DDJ-S1 Controller Intro with Aeroplane[/ame]

12. maolam

maolam Forum Member

Thank you, this one works fine! Pretty cool the beatgrid on the fly stuff!

13. malzfreund

malzfreund NI Product Owner

This whole thread is misguided. Of course, you can adjust the beatgrid using the S4, without touching your laptop. manual, section 5.4.10. it boils down to the same thing as with the S1 and itch in the vid. plus, in section 5.4.11 is the shift button thing that's already been mentioned by another poster.

14. maolam

maolam Forum Member

True dat!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  15. ZILCH

ZILCH NI Product Owner

misguided? i was trying to say that in the DDJ-S1 there's a dedicated SHIFT feature to both move the grids , and also the size of the grid, in the S4 i know there's that SHIFT function but its not the same -

most of the time in traktor they analyze the track well but the grid would almost always need to be shifted to the correct position, if there's a dedicated "move grid" or "increase grid size aka increase/decrese bpm" knob we wont ever need to touch the laptop

as mentioned in first post of thread, watch the video on 8:15 onwards you will see what i mean, can you do this on the S4? NO. Thats why i put this on the feature request because i think this is a GREAT idea

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  16. Stevie

Stevie Forum Member

+1

beatgrid on the fly, essential!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.