File Storage Issue with Maschine/External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Scott Gafvert, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Scott Gafvert

Scott Gafvert New Member

Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone can help with the issue I'm having. Essentially I'm running a Macbook Pro w/ 128GB hard drive with Maschine, but since my hard drive doesn't have a ton of space, all my files, samples etc have been moved to an external hard drive. Only the Maschine application itself runs off the Mac's hard drive.

I have however noticed that there is a random folder of Maschine library files that is still stored on my Mac's hard drive. I need to move these off my Mac and onto the external hard drive because I desperately need the hard drive space on my Mac to keep it running smoothly. However, when I try to move these files to the external, I get a prompt not allowing me to do it. Screenshot of the process is attached.

Does anyone know why/how to transfer these files over and is there a specific spot within the Maschine folder files that these should go to?

Any help much appreciated thanks!

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 8.30.25 AM.png

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Is any NI application actually open when you try to move the folders?
    Are you running your computers Admin account?
    Run the Activity Monitor app and double quit click and then and quit both NIHardwareAgent and NIHostIntegrationAgent, that might help, if not with all folders select right click and select "Get Info" check if all your users under "Sharing and Permissions" have read & write perms.

3. Scott Gafvert

Scott Gafvert New Member

Thanks for the response! No Maschine apps are running when I try to move files and I am the admin on the computer. I'll try the noted fixes hopefully something gives.

Any idea where those folder screen shotted are usually stored by Maschine? So I know where to move them.

4. D-One

No prob. I dont understand the question, Maschine's Library is right there on the screenshot.

5. Scott Gafvert

Scott Gafvert New Member

Alright so I tried both options you've presented. Neither worked unfortunately. I got the same prompt as before after quitting NIHardwareagent and the other one. And it looks like I have read/write permission for "staff" and "system" but not "everyone", but I get the prompt seen in attached screenshot if I try to change the permission for "everyone" to read/write.

Any my last message was just asking where are all those folders that I'm trying to move usually located within Native Instruments folder on hard drive of choice. I've just had missing files issues galore with Maschine so not sure if there's a spot that Maschine will be looking for these within Native Instruments folder or if I can just throw them in and will have to route Maschine to it either way.

-Scott

Attached Files:

6. D-One

I missed some things, sorry:
    Hold the control key when using "Get Info", it will change to "Get Summary" which open just one window for all folders instead of one for each. Also, make sure "Native Instruments" and "NI Resources" are not moved to the external (they have to stay in the shared folder)
    Here is how it looks on my system:
    [​IMG]
    (I use a secondary internal SSD for my libraries but for an external HD it should look the same once you relocate everything)

Something is odd with your Mac tho, when a User tries to do something important OSX is supposed to ask you for the Admin Password instead of just telling you dont have permission. Here's what I see when I try to mess with something in the Users folder:
    [​IMG]

Does your System Preferences>Users & Groups look like this? Notice it says admin under my User account. Do you have a password set up? If you dont then set one up, it's highly recommended.
    [​IMG]

You can try to simply copy all the relevant NI stuff folders from the Shared folder to the External HD, then delete what you copied from shared, (dont empty the trash before checking if it worked) when opening NA it won't find any libraries since they are deleted and you have a Relocate option next to each instrument/library which you use to point it to your external HD... Also, change the NA library folder in its preferences to the external.
    (All the above assuming OSX allows you to delete the folders in the first place.)

Maschine looks for its library (and all NI Stuff) wherever you set it to in Native Access, you can technically change it just inside Maschine's preferences, but that can cause issues with Kontakt libraries forcing you to manually find each one manually inside Kontakt, that's a PITA ... just avoid it at all costs.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  7. Scott Gafvert

Scott Gafvert New Member

Awesome that's super helpful really appreciate it! I am moving everything but NI Resources over, but I noticed i do not have Native Instruments on Mac's HD.

I've screenshot my Native Instruments folder that is on external HD. It's been on external since I moved to this computer over a year ago. Does what's inside my folder look likes yours? It wouldn't make any sense (saving space-wise) to move Native Instruments to my Mac's HD since it essentially holds everything pertaining to Maschine! Maybe it's just completely organized wrong? It now also has the items I've moved from Mac's HD that we were discussing.

This help is much needed an appreciated.

PS I do get asked to enter passwords when doing some stuff not sure why it's not asking for this particular task but I'll look into it.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

8. D-One

On my system that folder contains the backend NI licenses under a Native Access > Ras3 sub-folder; if you dont have that then dont worry its probably somewhere else on your system.
    [​IMG]

Yes, that wouldn't make any sense and I didn't say you should do that, according to your previous screenshot it didn't look like you have moved things already. It's not gonna look the same for us because I only have the Libraries on my "external" (Content Location), that's what really takes disk space.
    [​IMG]
    The pink folders are usually under System-HD>Users>Your Name>Documents>Native Access>Instrument Name
    This contains stuff like presets for the instruments and whatnot, they all occupy very little disk space expect the "Maschine 2" folder which has all your User projects, recording, samples, presets saved, etc... It can get big if you have a lot of stuff but its generally on the small size.

Blue folder "User Content" also has User presets you might save from all the NI's instruments. This and the pink one are always together like you have on your pic by default.

Because these 2 (blue and pink) don't take much space there's not a much incentive in having it in an external IMO, the "User Content" one cannot be changed in Maschine's preferences easily so I would put it back in your shoes but the "Maschine 2" can be changed in the preferences by clicking the folder icon, see pic:
    [​IMG]
    Then you're going to have to look into more complicated solutions like Symlinks and manually change each instruments user location manually, quite a pain in the rear and not worth it for a 1gb IMO
    https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/can-you-move-the-user-content-folder.325931/
    https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/user-content-path-cannot-be-altered.258598
    https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/changing-default-save-folder.259893/

The green "Shared" folder is where all your libraries are, this is what truly takes a bunch of disk space (probably 49 of those 50GB), so just make sure Native Access "Content-Location" is set to that folder, and relocate all instruments to it if necessary. You can change the Shared name if you want to something else more obviously descriptive.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  9. Scott Gafvert

Scott Gafvert New Member

Awesome man really appreciate the help. Everything is in it's right place. I was however unable to move Maschine 2 Library to external (about 8.11 GB). I have it on the external and when I go to Native Access to "Relocate" it (long story short this is how I was directed to reroute moved items for Maschine because I run OSX 10.10 or higher, it doesn't work they way you suggested which is the way I remember doing in the past) it just doesn't register it. I rerouted everything else successfully this way. If you know of a possible fix, much appreciated to hear! If not, I'll just live with it on the Mac HD.

Thanks again.

10. D-One

If you have issues with the Maschine library only then just reinstall it, NA will use your new path (external) set up in the preferences, it's a 5GB download so not much of a problem.