Finally upgraded my monitors...wow

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by Captain Blasto, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Captain Blasto

Captain Blasto NI Product Owner

I had been using the Mackie CR-3s, which are barely monitors. They aren't flat by any means and were basically just fancy laptop speakers.

Today I got some Kali Audio LP-6's and the difference is night and day. Tonight I'm just breaking them in by listening to reference tracks and adjusting their placement a bit. Can't wait to get to mixing with these!

2. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Monitors are absolutely important, can understand your excitement. Also listen for the phantom middle/center. If you have placed the speakers correctly and your room is not too bad, you can close your eyes and "see" a singer in front of you for example. Many say the distance between the speakers must equal the distance between you and the speakers, but my experience is that's not working in any case, sometimes a relationship of 2:3 is better where 2 is the distance between the speakers. But just try and have lots of fun.

Uwe

3. Captain Blasto

Captain Blasto NI Product Owner

The Kalis have an oval shaped wave guide around the tweeter so they have a really wide sound stage and absolutely hit that center spot w the vocals that you're talking about. I could swear there's a 3rd center speaker in front of me when I listen to these. It's incredible.