1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Firewire Pc cardbus

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by Geqfreq, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geqfreq

Geqfreq Forum Member

Looking for a firewire pc cardbus...or PCMCIA....one that has 6 pin so I can power my M-Audio Firewire Audiophile without the wall wart. Any reccommendations thanx.

2. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

Any cardbus or PCMCIA firwire device you get that is 6 pin will require an AC Adapter as the power requirements for 6 pin Connections far exceeds what is available from the PC Card bus. Bottom line, this won't solve your problem without a wallwart.

Phil

3. harry_Tf

harry_Tf Forum Member

i've always wondered why pc laptops never powered the firewire bus like apple did. out of all those laptop manufacturers you'd think one of them would actually add it.

4. PhilL

Manufacturers pay license fees per connector for firewire ports and its actually expensive, roughly 6 times as expensive I think was the number I heard to do 6 pin vs iLink 4 pin. With cost savings in mind PC laptop manufacturers went with the less expensive option.

Phil

5. froggy

froggy Forum Member

very annoying though....

6. PhilL

I think part of it was due to the laptop reference spec including iLink as the spec interface connector for PC Laptops.

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.