1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

First fully STANDALONE MASCHINE

Discussion in 'Feature Request Archive' started by Emdeka, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Emdeka

Emdeka Member

Have You watch this post?
    http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/fully-standalone-maschine-lcd-mod.230297/
    This is ma second mod. If You'll find Hackintosh NUC, please tell me, I,m also looking for sth like this:D NUC is smaller than my mainboard, but maybe will be thicker...

2. alexbuga

alexbuga NI Product Owner

Yeah. Saw it. I'm still drooling.
    I would make mine just a boxy controller with ports on the back for audio, video & such.
    I'd use the iPad as an input device and monitor through USB or wifi.

3. LOLFAIL

LOLFAIL Member

great work, i am now collecting parts to make my maschine standalone too, using small win8 quad core tvbox.
    mine project will look more bigger and with no battery, like a metal stand. you for sure saved lot of space there. congrats, im spo jelous :D

4. Emdeka

Emdeka Member

Use a laptop mainboard, it is the best way to do something like my maschine. The most advantage of this option its possibility to have battery built in. Without normal display battery will life very long. You need buy laptop with broken display - it will be cheaper.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pesict

Pesict NI Product Owner

and if you are willing to use a salvaded notebook, it better a window system, cuz RDP is some smoooooth runnin tool you'd like to use :D
    What about a litte Intel NUC :D
    you catch my drift? :)

6. kptrips

kptrips New Member

First post - thought I would drop this setup as another option..

Here we have a:

- Mac Mini 2011 Uni-body, which has had it's internal power supply stripped and replaced with a 12v female plug
    - 20,000mah portable power supply with 12v out
    - IPad running TwoMonUSB which is a pretty much as lag free as you will get - akin to a USB driven monitor, with touch input, no network required

Just need to house it nicely - or maybe not, dunno - needs some decent portable speakers also.

Clocked in at 4:20 hours usage time before power was dropped - not too shabby, haven't done any tweaking yet - just an initial test..

Hook it up to the car stereo also while running the mini off the cigarette lighter ;p

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pesict

Pesict NI Product Owner

TwoMonUSB is something I've been waiting a long time ago :D Thanks for the advice :D
    And yeah, let me know what you made with that gear (i also prefer a mac instead of a windows system, but ripping a mac apart to gain a Standalone Maschine is too expensive ;D

8. kptrips

kptrips New Member

Haaa.. Yes, I had been waiting some time for something like TwoMonUSB as I had been using Splashtop before (and still do when required now) but the direct connect via USB is awesome.

I think I may make this setup modular - making say a case which will hold the internals and Machine in place (battery, Mac and speakers below). Then do another case for my inner nerd which may hold a illuminated keyboard and iPad cradle. Each one will be able to be fastened to ensure all is solid..

But yeah just dreaming with the case ideas for the time being. So happy to have the 12v DC mini PC setup - so convenient..

9. spielor2

spielor2 NI Product Owner

That is awesome.
    I have an MK2 sitting around not being used due to suboptimal ableton live integration.
    It seems that this is a really nice project.
    How are you handing the cooling of the cpu and are there any issues regarding shielding of audio lines to prevent humming and other noise?
    Thanks for posting by the way

10. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Awesome!

11. JJ_SN

JJ_SN New Member

Hello, great work Emdeka. I saw this thread a while back, and was so inspired by Emdeka's project that i decided to build one myself.

The case is built from scratch using 1/4" and 1/8" thick sheets of acrylic. Inside there is the innards of a 13" Asus Zenbook (model# UX303) i7-4510U, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD. Also the innards of a NI Audio 8 Dj soundcard, and a Maschine MK2.

On the left side there is a charging port, display port, USB port, and HDMI out. On the front is the Audio 8 with a mic input and gain knob, two stereo line inputs, and headphone jack with volume knob. On the back there is 1/4" stereo output, and the midi I/O. There are holes drilled in the back panel right where the cpu fan is for cooling.

When i need to see the software i can either connect via HDMI to a monitor or tv, or connect a tablet vis usb which is running Twomonusb. Maschine 2, and Twomonusb are set to load automatically when windows starts. And just like Emdeka, i have multiple blank projects which can easily be loaded without the need to see the software.

So here are some pics: Standalone Maschine01.jpg maschine 02.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tooshka

Tooshka NI Product Owner

great stuff

13. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats NI Product Owner

looks fun. will all the internals hold up against the pounding?

14. JJ_SN

JJ_SN New Member

I don't think it will be a problem.. I also just attached some rubber feet to the bottom which should help absorb some shock through the case.

15. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats NI Product Owner

How did you get the iPad to be used as a screen?

16. Koitz_roller

Koitz_roller New Member

Hi Emdeka and the rest!

Congratulations about your mod, is very clever and well finished. My favourite part is box to place all (JJ_SN's too). Emdeka, what soundcard do you used?? I'm using integrated with Asio4All, but it doesn't have line input for sampling.

In other hand, I think is not necessary too many complications. I have a MK2 and in my case, I use a 2013 Surface Pro 2 which is very capable and thin PC, with touchscreen, speakers (laptop quality), phones output (with ASIO4ALL I even can change between PH/SPK in maschine) and battery (more than 5 hours with TFT off). Even you can use official NI stand and put SP2 between this and Maschine, and make a portable standalone solution easily (I think SP3 and newer doesn't fit). It's easy to find a SP2 w/ i5, 4GB and 128GB Hard Disk for 250-300€ (even half with broken display).

In my case, I'm trying to make a lightweight box to fit SP2 inside and/or put it over Maschine to full touchscreen operation and visualization. But I prefer electronics to mecanize boxes :D.

Regards

P.S.: I know, it's a year and half post, but I think it's valid yet.

17. Pesict

Pesict NI Product Owner

Dude, the Surface Pro "tablets" are waaaaay to expensive.
    Nope, I don't want to use broken screens.

Get yourself a proper System, like an AMD.
    Look for a AM1. Get a ITX-Board, 8GB Ram, a 240GB SSD and maybe a case for 50 bucks. Grab yourself a iPad mini for visual feedback and control, there you go. Standalone for under 500€/$. AND a tablet to fiddle with :)

Ah, snap, I forgot the interface. I prefer NIs Komplete audio 6. But a Traktor audio 4/6 should also do the trick, and only costs the half, sure, a used one.

18. Koitz_roller

Koitz_roller New Member

You're right but... oh wait:

I bought a second hand Surface Pro 2 (not the lastest models) with i5, 8GB, 256GB-SSD for 500€ a year ago. In that moment, there were SP2 4GB/128GB for about 300€, and SP2 with broken screen for 200€ or less. You could attach a TFT thru DisplayPort output or even pull mainboard and put it on a box like Emdeka and JJ_SN. It's very thin system to put in any standalone system (even a DJ mixer).

In addition, I don't like AMD system for real time applications (I'm IT guy). In this case I'd choose a bare Intel NUC system or similar prior to any ITX because size.

About audio, I have a Traktor Audio 6 for DJing, but I was talking about a lightweight system, and SP2's integrated soundcard is enough to play with Maschine (Asio4All between 64 and 128 samples), but not for sampling. This is why I ask about soundcard used in Emdeka system; it seems very light and "hackable".

Regards

P.S.: I used to build and hack many sound tech (my Audio 6 is fit in a Rodec Scratchbox mixer), usingo bare components and building from scratch many times. But I discovered that spend more time building this systems than making music. So when I try to make some like this, I look for pre-build solutions or so.

19. Pesict

Pesict NI Product Owner

wait a sec.
    PS4 Hardware: AMD
    XBOXOne Hardware: AMD
    Nintendo WiiU Hardware: AMD
    MacPro Hardware: AMD

But sure, whatever floats your goat...

Anyway, looks like you got a plan.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Koitz_roller

Koitz_roller New Member

"I don't like AMD system for real time applications." is a personal preference, as pronoun "I" denote. But, If AMD is your preference, Gigabyte has "Brix" (similar to Intel NUC) with AMD CPUs.

P.S.: I don't know why, but I attach a link to an ebay SP2 for about 350$, and it doesn't appears. You can look for in ebay.com site.