Focusrite 2i2 Bypassing Kontrol S2 Audio?

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S4' started by Phantom Lamb, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Phantom Lamb

Phantom Lamb NI Product Owner

So trying to see if this is logical...planning on picking up a Focusrite 2i2 and use that as my audio interface outputting to my rack. However, I would like to be able to access Traktor software at the same time. In short, still use Traktor but don't use the internal audio card, use the 2i2 instead.

If this does make sense, would I just take the x2 balanced 1/4" cables from the Kontrol S2 output and just plug those into the 2i2 outputs? Both of these would still be connected to my laptop via USB. Would this allow me to effectively "bypass" the S2 audio card w/o losing the functionality of Traktor software?

I'm looking at this solution because it may be more of an upgrade than the S2's internal sound card and it will allow me to plug my keyboards directly in line with the rest of my system, also easing the pain of recording external audio sources when I have Maschine projects.

Appreciate the help!

Thanks,

2. Phantom Lamb

Bueller...

3. Benoit Peeters

Benoit Peeters NI Product Owner

I thnik you can use the focusrite but then you may loose some function... I got a Focursire 2i4 here, I'll test that for you and tell you about it.
    I'm using an S4Mk3 Traktor but I guess if it works for me it will work for an S2.

4. Phantom Lamb

Thanks, this is what I was worried about. Let me know your findings.

5. Benoit Peeters

BE94E746-8DF3-4262-AC15-D72D4F48F64A.jpeg Hi Phantom! I found this in the Focusrite manual... I’ll check it...

6. Phantom Lamb

Hey Benoit, only problem is that I have the S2, only 1 line input so not sure how this would work?

Thanks,

7. Benoit Peeters

Well I guess if you got only two output it doesn’t change a thing. You will use only two input on your Focusrite.

Maybe it could be interesting if you posted the same question on a Focusrite forum...

8. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

You can use Traktor as the software with another soundcard. That part's not the issue.

What I don't know is if you can have an S2 plugged in at the same time as your Focusrite and choose the Focusrite as the soundcard option while still getting midi functionality from the S2. You wouldn't plug anything from the S2 into the Focusrite (as you won't be using the S2 for any audio). I assume your goal is to go from the Focusrite into another mixing console?

Phantom Lamb could you possible test to see if you can still use the S2 as midi while using your Focusrite as the audio?

I may be understanding all this incorrectly though. If so, I apologize

9. Phantom Lamb

chilly you are dead on. I'm just looking to get a little nicer sound card that can accept live inputs. In this case, I haven't purchased the Focusrite yet, I'm wondering if this is possible first?

At this point, if I'm barking up the wrong tree it's not a deal-breaker.

Thanks,

10. Phantom Lamb

Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks,