FORM - first impressions from a builder perspective

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by arachnaut, Sep 2, 2016.

1. joeking

joeking NI Product Owner

Erm ... I got the demo, is it supposed to not allow preset play? I only play the transformator.
    Clicking on the preset browser and then factory and then bass and then 'All Sync' takes me to exit demo. Reaktor 6.03.
    How do you load the snapshots (if you can't edit the thing in demo mode)?

2. Soarer

Soarer NI Product Owner

Oh but that's cool! That's still the main purpose.
    Maybe there's a chance that NI will bring an update for Form at some time since you said there are some bugs so I'll write to them and suggest this feature.
    Thanks.

3. Soarer

Soarer NI Product Owner

Sorry I thought you meant the play position. Playback speed can be modulated by assigning MW to the speed parameter.

4. Soarer

Soarer NI Product Owner

I totally agree and I had actually expected that there would be some clever split effect path like that.

5. dabb

dabb Active Member

Is there a way to lock the sample while changing presets?
    There is fx lock, which is cool but a sample lock would be cooler.

6. Soarer

Soarer NI Product Owner

Well, you have 12 presets in the performance section that actually does this. Other than that, no. You'd probably need to mod the ens. for that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. dcoffin

dcoffin NI Product Owner

VERY interesting video posted today by NI about Form (). It starts with a pleasant, expected sort of intro demo of basic features, but then gets pertinent to this thread in several ways, when the Form designer Jonathan Heppner takes the stage. Most notable, I'd say is the revelation of an Easter Egg in the Form interface, here:

Capto_906.jpg

Quad-click on the little X circled above, and you'll see THIS:

Capto_908.jpg

…which is of course a modulate-able and mouse-grab-able scan-control for the playhead!

A little later, at around 21:17, in response to a question about streaming audio into Form, we hear this from the moderator:

"…it's based on Reaktor and Reaktor is open, so basically you can go into the instrument, you can use any functionality… Maybe I guess there are some wizards out there that immediately will take the thing and use parts of it and put maybe in a smaller chunk into the User Library…Let's see!"

EDIT: On posting I see that the video is actually right here from the link; cool:) The Easter Egg is demoed and discussed around 17:00

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. killmaster

killmaster NI Product Owner

I really wish we had access to the pitch curve that is made by analyzing the sample. Would be amazing to have the editing tool to apply to that as well as the envelopes!

9. Soarer

Soarer NI Product Owner

Haha awesome! I actually wrote to NI with a request for this :D
    Thank you Jonathan!

10. Soarer

Soarer NI Product Owner

I got the idea that they put it there in the latest update..?
    If not then yes, it would have been nice to let us know.

11. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

No not in the last update. I start the ensemble for made the snapshots dated 2016-09-07.
    Inside the fourth (reach with the quad-click) „image“ in the stacked macro looks like a multi picture but is a primary macro.

12. Seoman303

Seoman303 NI Product Owner

First of all thank you for taking the time to provide this in-depth information about Form.

I'm not sure what this means. Is it possible for NI to lock certain macros/core-cells for users to prevent them from having a look inside? Can you save such a cell? Or is the structure of this cell so obfuscated, that it is really difficult to understand the functionality? Are there other ensembles that use the same technique?

Greetings

13. colB

colB NI Product Owner

yes - they made Reaktor, so for them, anything is possible!
    Yes, the filter in Monark is one example. The first though AFAIR was the vacuum tube model in the R5 factory library.

14. Seoman303

Wow! I didn't know. Thanks for the reply.

15. Seoman303

:eek:

By the way, I didn't find any vacuum tube model. Which instrument/ensemble contains this?

16. Seoman303

There it is. Thanks again.

17. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Seems to be a savable module. Load in a hex editor told you KSModul.
    So it's no macro.

18. Soarer

Soarer NI Product Owner

Beautiful new update for Form out today! The Easter egg turned into a feature and there's now settings for Center and Width which can be modulated. Sample speed Snap now includes triplet and dotted. All FX settings can be copied and pasted. There's a compact view on Panel B. The manual say there are a vast number of new presets that make full use of the perform section.
    Did I forget anything? :)

Anyone knows where to find the update info?
    There's also a third page of motion curve presets. I just can't figure out how to edit those...

19. killmaster

killmaster NI Product Owner

OOO I hope we can edit or draw the extracted pitch curve!!

20. Soarer

Soarer NI Product Owner

No change here. But the "Deform" parameter overrides the pitchtracking.

"DEFORM on/off: This switch activates or deactivates the DEFORM function, which effectively overrides the PITCH TRACKING function of the FORM OSC section. Doing so flattens the pitch, regardless of the setting in the FORM OSC section, and lets you use the DEFORM knob to destruct the sound."

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017