Free Multi Client ASIO driver!

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by saintjoe, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saintjoe

saintjoe NI Product Owner

Not sure if everyone knows, but Steinberg made a multi client asio driver a few years ago, and i tried it out probably last month. It actually works pretty good and if you only have 1 asio card this is a great workaround.

It's basically an asio server, you point all your apps you want to use to this device as the output, and you can open as many as you need at the same time :D

good stuff!

http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=101066

2. ansiaaa

ansiaaa NI Product Owner

thank you! I'm going to try it as soon as I get back to home!

3. cosmo9

cosmo9 Forum Member

You may also try JACK http://jackaudio.org which is very popular in the linux world.
    But drivers are also available for Windows and OS X.

4. saintjoe

yeah Jack is cool but a little more involved.

this multi client is just for allowing you to use multiple apps with the same asio card

jack actually allows you to setup and route audio between applications, however I'm not sure how it handles multiple asio clients, I didn't go too deep when I tested it out a while back....

I think these two products could probably be used in conjuntion

5. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Or, if you own a NI interface such as AK 1, RK3, the first Kore controller, etc; the drivers for those are multiclient already.

ew

6. Beatworkx

Beatworkx NI Product Owner

Saintjoe!, what's up bro. This is a massive drop for me right here. Much Thanks. Now I don't have to use two cards in the same system anymore. I can free up my M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge and use it on a Laptop for something else. This driver works nice. I've just installed it and running Maschine with BPM and it works fine. No problems so far. Peeps really need to take a look at this. 'Cause now, you can use MIDI Clock to Sync Maschine and other apps using this driver. Don't sleep on this.

Thanks again for sharing this. It came in really handy on this side.

7. StanleyBlade

StanleyBlade NI Product Owner

is this better then aiso for all ,atm i can only use aiso to sample in ,then use normal direct sound for playback ,if i sample thru direct sound its distorted ,if this could do both it be great .

thanks

8. Beatworkx

Oh yeah. definitely better. They do different things really. Asio for all allow's you to take advantage of Asio when your card does not have drivers for it.

THIS Driver my friend, is the door opener! Providing you already have an ASIO Card, you can install this driver and configure your existing ASIO card for it. Now, you can use two different Standalone applications, sharing the same ASIO Card! Sick!

I've been looking for something like this for years but didn't want to switch my setup around.

9. saintjoe

yeah lol, well if they have those already then they probably aren't even looking at this :)

this is only of interest to those that don't have a multi client asio card :D

10. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

Good look again saintjoe!

I do wonder how it will impact your sound cards asio performance? Is it replacing your sound cards driver or should the performance be the same?

11. saintjoe

yeah man, I was feelin it, I actually forgot about it till today, I meant to post it a while back lol.

It works good, no latency added or anything, very useful, wish it handled routing like rewire tho! That would be very sick! But see I can use it where I have my daw open (studio one) and have it's input set to my soundcard which supports "record what you hear" then I can have other apps open, and record whatever I want into studio one :)

lovely.

but built in routing/rewire support would be better, but it's free, so I can't complain ;)
    ---
    no performance hit noticed at all, it's just a "wrapper" so your soundcard is still using it's own driver. It's just sitting in this "wapper" that allows multiple apps to use it instead of doing the "hostile takeover"

it's really transparent once you set it up, and you can setup quite a few apps to use it, whichever you want.

12. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

I think I did on the MPC forums a while ago when the combination of Maschine and Reason was discussed. Can't find that post anymore though. :S Must have been one of those removed Maschine threads. :lol:

Thanks for posting it here. :cool:

13. saintjoe

lol...its one of those things man, you use it, mean to tell folks, but just forget lol...as it becomes part of your "regular" workflow.

14. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

Actually I forgot because I don't use it. :lol:

15. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

Thanks, anyone know if it supports x64 bits?

16. saintjoe

I don't use it all the time either lol...I guess I should have said a regular part of the "toolbox" use it, get hyped, then forget about it lol.

I don't use it all the time, but it's there if I need it lol.
    ---
    not sure...probably not? lol....it's pretty old, may have to check with the steinbergians lol.

17. Beatworkx

It's just like using the ASIO Cards drivers. There's no issues that I notice at all. No latency, pops/clicks, nothing. It's good.
    Bro, you made my with this one today. I'll say it again, I've been looking for something like this for a looooong time but didn't want to make another purchase.
    Good looks.

18. saintjoe

yeah man, not a bit of latency, glad you like it man! Good stuff!

19. StanleyBlade

StanleyBlade NI Product Owner

wow this has made life so much easier!

thanks for the link saint joe
    thanks for the advice beatworks

enough respec

blade

20. saintjoe

cool! enjoy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.