1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice
  2. You can find all the latest news on macOS 11 (Big Sur) and Apple M1 compatibility for our products here: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013515618

Dismiss Notice

Free or paid?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by AndriusDK, Jan 18, 2019.

1. AndriusDK

AndriusDK NI Product Owner

Do you think upgrading to Maschine 3.0 will be paid update or free?

2. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

Do you think the workers will have food on the table, or will they have to stand on the street corner with signs reading will program for free food? That 2.0 money's been spent, but they do have some features still missing, so the cost hopefully should be small for current users.

3. Andels

Andels NI Product Owner

FL studio has lifetime updates for free and I don't see anyone from image-line beggin' for food, lol

• Like Like x 7
  4. mykejb

mykejb NI Product Owner

Got to admit, he has a good point :D

• Like Like x 3
  5. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. OGTracks

OGTracks NI Product Owner

I feel like it will be for MK3 and Jam owners. I am only saying this because of some of the features that were promised with those hardware releases unless they get the song layer, better automation, arranger, and all that in an earlier version. Which if you have been following their beta site it seems to be quite far.

7. lwj|localspace

lwj|localspace NI Product Owner

Paid for sure. Maybe at discount for MK3 owners but that would be generous.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. ScottK

ScottK NI Product Owner

Free - but only with a monthly subscription to Sounds.com.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Skalamanga

Skalamanga NI Product Owner

I was under the impression that there was only one Maschine software product, and that it worked on all previous hardware?

10. Crazy Lou

Crazy Lou NI Product Owner

Where you see they are working on a 3.0 software?

2.0 might be around for awhile.

NI is so secretive that it’s hurting them. They need to involve the community in the development of 3.0. All other companies are doing this and becoming successful with that approach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

Maybe that's because other companies are listening to what their users want (and possibly getting it right) rather than telling them (and pretty much getting it wrong).................................................just a thought :D

12. lwj|localspace

That always worked for Apple though.. IBM had to go around to offices and tell them that they needed computers at first.

13. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

Yeah and possibly at Maschine's beginnings that could have been a viable outlook, but it doesn't appear to be quite the case now...how can you tell someone they need a piece of equipment that succesfully appears to do far more than it actually does and used to be considered 'vanguard' in the days when it was actually developed. ..............;)

14. lwj|localspace

You don't, you launch a lot of ancillary services to create an 'ecosystem' and 'user experience' around your product and effectively tie the user down to it as much possible, all the while stroking their ego to make them feel they're part of 'something special'. Make it hard for them to switch, throw up artificial roadblocks to force them to upgrade to new products that create an even tighter ecosystem. New products that you're forced to keep pumping out to keep people upgrading yearly. That effectively kills the incentive to create anything truly groundbreaking because there's always pressure to not give it all away at once.

Lol, sound familiar?

To clarify, I don't think NI is in a state like that. I think they've grown aggressively and figured out that you can't keep acting like a start up once you get past a certain size. That takes some figuring out. It's like changing the engine on race car, at full speed. I think they will. They're still putting out new products, they have a great catalogue, they're expanding...

15. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

It hurts all of us. They want to suck our blood without courtesy cups, or not even a wham bam thank you ma'am! There should have been some leaks or talk about it by now. I feel it's still too early for release seeing it's only at 2.7.10.

16. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

it will be a paid for upgrade..

it will cost $100 for the upgrade... Which will...

a) be a "complete rewrite" of the code to support new functions
    b) include a host of new functions that most of us did not realize that we did not want
    c) only partly implement the new functions
    d) Break a bunch of 2.x functions that will take 2-4 years to fix
    e) Be shipped with a "Deja Vu" expansion pack
    f) still have midi issues on PCs

sound familiar?

• Like Like x 3