Free time stretching when you cant work out the BPM

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Dj_benji, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Dj_benji

Dj_benji New Member

Good morning all,

I hope you are all well,

I recently bought a machine and i am learning loads its really cool how the workflow is .... i come from a MPC background and i am stuck on a specific thing that i like to do all the time.

I call it free time stretching which you can do in most audio workstations i just need to know how in Machine and i would appreciate your help greatly

heres a video to demonstrate what i mean - its MPC because i know how to do it in there

Thank-you in advance

Happy beat making
    Regards
    Craig

HTTPS://www.djbenji.org.uk

HTTPS://www.soundcloud.com/djbenjiuk

https://youtube.com/channel/UCwudNUIIkLyG1VS364ZNmZg

HTTPS://twitch.tv/djbenjiuk

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Maschine doesn't have the option to just grab an Audio handle and manually time stretch it like that... You have 2 options:
    1 - Sampler: Once you truncate a sample to a perfect loop you can use the time stretch in the Sample Edit menu and just manually enter the new BPM, it will destructively apply the stretch to the sample, this is probably the fastest way especially if you plan to slice the sample after.
    2 - Audio Plugin: You can load the sample into an Audio Module and tweak the knobs (tempo and lenght) until it fits, then resample to another Pad and Slice, this approach involves more steps tho but I guess but its more similar to the "free stretch it with the mouse" approach.

3. Dj_benji

Dj_benji New Member

Thank you D-One, that is helpful. I will try in my next jam session.

it does see like native are missing a bit of a trick not including "elastic audio" in such a high level product. I mean everything else is great - it is a shame not to be included.

I also see you are a cubase user, my friend who showed me it was also a cubase 9 currently user but has had a cubase version since 2010 or there abouts and he said it was the greatest thing ever. Although when you compare FL studio or Logic pro X to Cubase with regards to stock instruments or lack of for want of a better word (I dont know about version 10 by the way) I can see why Komplete bundle is something that would be required to get decent sounds. Machine would be a great addition to workflow in-terms of sequencing and getting ideas going so i can see why it was recommended.

I only got the MPC(essentials) software because it was free with my controller MPK249 a few years ago Because i had a little experiance with the hardware samplers in the past. So i am a little bias towards akai only because i have been using Akai products for a longer time. However i am determined to learn machine and get good at producing with it so i can get creative with my friend when i go to him because there is no way he will change from cubase because he paid £700 odd for it .

Anyway thank you again for your help.

4. luneytunes

luneytunes NI Product Owner

5. Dj_benji

Dj_benji New Member

ha ha good one :)

well i assume your joking?

I use Serato for DJing it is awesome!
    I did have traktor final scratch 2 (remember that?) in the past and that was just terrible. calibrating the needles just did not work. I remember all the house heads trying to say that Traktor scratch / pro was better Serato kicked its ass.

i also believe having used record box extensively.....Serato is better.

But why should I get that if I can already time stretch in MPC? I am so upset that this simple task is not included it is soooo frustrating

6. D-One

What do you mean it's not included?
    Is it that much of a difference between dragging the end of a clip-waveform to twisting a knob or dragging a text value? It looks the same to me as far as basic stretching goes... I dont see any difference other than where you have to click and drag.

Maschine:
    [​IMG]

MPC:
    [​IMG]

The major advantage of the MPC in this context is the fact that it actually has full Audio Tracks as we know them from DAWs but that doesn't matter if all you want is to stretch a loop/sample.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you want to do, I'm well versed in Maschine but new to the MPC software. (Just got the Beats version to check it out)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  7. luneytunes

luneytunes NI Product Owner

So we can stop the pain. Most of my problems have been cured with other companies plugins and NI is aware of that. Sad Standalone Maschine limbo we are in. Traktor scratch baked in would solve it but........I introduced Serato Sample to my Jam/Mk3 and never looked back.

8. estebanbdn

estebanbdn New Member

Hey D-One that's great stuff. I think the software is getting very close to the point we will be able to do this with our sample chops. Fingers crossed for future releases :)

9. D-One

I like your optimism, unfortunately, I dont share it.:(

The Audio Plug-In has been around since 2017, it's not exactly new and the current development focus is not on the Sampler at all, actually, since I've been here I don't remember seeing a single Sampler improvement or new feature, unfortunately.

10. estebanbdn

estebanbdn New Member

Hi D-One,

Thanks for your reply. Actually in my last post I was thinking about a solution around the Audio-Plugin more than the Sampler. Because this thread is solved I created a new one where I show a video with a little experiment I did using the Audio plugin after chopping in the Sampler :)

11. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

Same here. If all your doing is just sample based beats, what else do you need? I wanted to find a good compliment to Maschine or alternative workflows. Now I'm good, and not DAW jumping all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

Look up DDS on youtube. You will learn a lot from him using Maschine.

13. Coffee_N_Keyboards

Coffee_N_Keyboards New Member

I wish you could insert warp markers to finesse transients. That would be nice.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CeeMusic

CeeMusic NI Product Owner

I thought that Audio Plugin automatically syncs to the project tempo.

15. D-One

It will if it's a perfect loop, if not it cant.

16. CeeMusic

And if not, you can make it a perfect loop by tweaking the knobs (tempo and length)?

17. D-One

As long as the sample starts where you want it to start yes, look at post #6, the gif is pretty self-explanatory.
    If it starts before you can set a start point in the Edit menu.

• Like Like x 1
  18. CeeMusic

Ok thank you.

How do you increase/decrease the increments in detail on the software like in the gif?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020 at 7:44 PM
  19. D-One

No problem.
    Hold shift while mouse dragging; on the HW is the same: rotate the knob while holding shift on the controller.

• Like Like x 1