1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

G4 experiences thread - problems & solutions

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by djquartz, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

How many other real-time performance software titles do you own?

2. BigBuddha

BigBuddha Account Suspended

Most people use PC's and therfore a company like NI do much more for them. As I said in many many threads I can't understand why a software like TS is so poor programmed that it need those specs.

OT: Today one crash at home.

3. garret

garret NI Product Owner

Forgive me for not owning Pro Tools (which I have not needed to do to become aware of that application's similar system requirements warning).

Neither Ableton Live 6, Cubase 4 nor Fruity Loops 7 have that message (that I could find on their respective websites).

But to answer a question with a question -
    What percentage of G4, 1.67Gz, 1gb RAM Mac users have reported that they have stable systems using Traktor Scratch that prompted NI to quote those system specs as standard?
    Wouldn't it have been better to start with higher system requirement specifications and to add "Traktor Scratch might work on slightly less powerful systems."? (that would have been a little less misleading and more positive IMO).

4. ...zep...

...zep... New Member

Can you tell me the G4's clock and ram?

5. BigBuddha

BigBuddha Account Suspended

Tonight I will use TS for the first time in a club, got my vinyl with me. Latency 20ms (!) and no key correction. NI must provide another performance update asap!

6. garret

garret NI Product Owner

Good luck mate!

7. sergeramirez

sergeramirez NI Product Owner

Just make sure you don't do any "Inline Editing" of the names of the tracks. Also make sure you have a back up song close, or an Ipod. I've used TS with no problems as long as I don't use effects, internet, analyzing tracks, or inline editing.
    Key will work on PSOLA with no problems.

Good Luck.

8. PK7

PK7 New Member

3 problems with iBook G4

Hi,

iBook 14" 1.43 Ghz PowerPc G4, 1,5GB memory, 80gb HD 20GB free space, macosx 10.4.9, dj 8 audio interface, evolution uc-33 midi controller, Tractor Scratch version 10.2.050. My system is optimized for audio, e.g., all the main stuff disabled in masosx, harddrive defragmented regularly etc. Here are my problems and I'm hoping you will fix them soon:

1) I'm having basically the same unstability problems as described earlier, after some time it starts to get unstable with the scratch panel saying "relative only" and in all modes the sound stutters and snaps.

2) Hotkey assignments are not working properly. Some keys not working at all, even not able to assign them, and some keys assignable but not doing anything at times. For example, I have 7 8 9 to change to internal, relative and absolute modes of the focused deck. Sometimes working sometimes not, I cannot really tell when. Most keys with letters, i.e., qwerty etc. not able to assign and not working at all.

3) (This one is more complex and am not sure if it's a bug or is it supposed to work that way): For example, I have Deck A playing in internal mode and would like to take control of it with the vinyl. The control vinyl is spinning with needle dropped and I see everything is fine and synchronized in the scratch panel. Now, when I assign it to Deck A there is a considerable pause in the audio (0.5-1 seconds) and the scratch panel is saying synchonizing and then it starts playing and Deck A is in relative mode now.

Again referring to problem (3), I'm not sure if it's supposed to do that but if this is the case is it possible to take over control vith vinyl a Deck on the fly just like that without a pause in the sound? It's just that the pause does not happen everytime but along with the hotkey assignment problem (2) and the stability problems (1) I'm unable to trust the software to take to concert.

This weekend, I was supposed to try it out in concert but after practicing and playing around with it I decided no to risk it. I'm feeling positive about the product features and what it can do but find all this a bit bothersome.

Hope you and everyone using G4 macs get it working soon :) !

Best regards,
    PK7

9. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

PK7, please report your findings to the support!

10. FunkyRob

FunkyRob Forum Member

Hi All, I'd just like to say.

So far so good with the 1.0.2.050 update on a G4 Powerbook 1.67 Mhz with 2 GB RAM.

Just be sure to do all the optimizing mentioned in the manual (power saver, screensaver, etc.) plus I changed to "Non Adaptive" instead of PSOLA (like I even know what the hell that means)

I just did some creative **** with playing 95 BPM acapella with key lock on at 45 RPM and mixed it with a 118 BPM bonus beat. Sounded pretty sweet too. :)

BTW, just had to turn on airport to come here. Went back and it's not re-calibrating. I guess that's to be expected right now though.

11. PK7

PK7 New Member

OK. I did that thanks :) . Yesterday, I didn't have so many performance/stability issues and was able to learn to use the program. Sometimes opening the preferences panel makes it do that sound popping and staggering thing, so I'm learning to stop everything before I make any adjustments. When not staggering, I think it's running reasonably well and not taking many resources at least according to the meters the CPU load is about 1/3 all the time. Hotkeys still can't get working properly, anyone else having this hotkey problem? Luckily, midi assignments are working fine, to share something positive. :)

-PK

12. DJ Freshfluke

pk7, do you have the english keyboard layout chosen?

13. PK7

PK7 New Member

Hi, I'm not sure what you are referring to. I didn't find a setting for that in the scratch preferences. I have finnish keyboard. Maybe scratch doesn't like that :S . Could be that because if I try to map Ö, Ä or Å, the last three letters of the finnish alfabet, they get mapped as ;, ´, and ] respectively. I think that is how they are in the english keyboard. So something strange there.

I know now exactly which keys do not work and they are all the keys with letters from A-Z. Others do work, like space bar, enter, tab and numbers.

BR,
    PK

14. PK7

PK7 New Member

Waveform display & hotkey reply from NI

Hi all,

I noticed disabling the waveform display makes about 20% difference of processor usage in the osx activity monitor, which to me is quite surprising. Should they take that much CPU power?

Also, I got a reply from the NI support saying that they are aware of the hotkey mapping problem here's a part of the mail:
    ---------
    this is a known issue. We are aware this issue, we are working on it already and it will be fixed as soon as possible within the release of the next version. As a workaround you can do the following. Close all applications. Open the Mac System Preferences and set your International/Input Menu to U.S. or German. After you did so, please restart your computer. Now you should be in able to work with the hotkeys.

We appreciate your understanding and let me know if your problem persists.
    ----------

So we'll have to wait some time I guess still.

BR,
    PK

15. sseroussi@yahoo.fr

sseroussi@yahoo.fr New Member

My G4 gets mad !

Type of Powerbook: g4 12inches
    Traktor Scratch Version: the latest one !
    CPU Speed: 1.5 mhz
    Ram:512 mo
    Mac OS Version:10.4.9
    Hardrive Free Space:10gb

I played live all the weekend with TS, and experienced bad issues...

1/ The worst one: (It seems to be the same than others G4 users had) After mixing a while...something like 15 min, Ts gets mad, the players go back and forth with and strange delay, and you can't control anything whether in relative or abslute mode. You must exit the application.

This issue occured both with vynils and cd's. Hard....

I took all the precautions; everything was switched off (airport, bluetooth, applications...).

It seems it's a real bug...

2/ There are sound drops sometimes.

3/ I don't feel the key correction is better than the FS2 one (medium preset).

Do you think there'll be an upgrade soon ? Or should I buy a new Mac ? Or maybe go back to FS2...

16. DJ Freshfluke

@ PK7: that's what i meant with keyboard set to english... ;)

@ sserioussi: these are the tech specs for mac: Mac OSX 10.4.8, G4 1.67 GHz or Intel* Core™ Duo family, 1 GB RAM, so you're below the specs both with processor and RAM, so i would suggest to upgrade to a new computer!

17. johnny fiasco

johnny fiasco New Member

a new computer dosen't solve all the problems... it just creates new ones. In my 3 years of using serato (on a pwerbook 667) I never had one crash.. why? Extremely well written software that did not provide all the "bells and whistles" (effx). They just focused on the core app.. and they did flawlessly. I just hate the converters on the breakout box.
    I think NI is on the right track with TS.. my only suggestion is, I don't need the efx in the software.. if I wanted that, I'd stick to the original Traktor (I've love that app since it first was released!)

18. PK7

PK7 New Member

Tractor Scratch - accept no compromises. - True for G4 users?

If you go to the Native Instruments web site you might see a banner at some point saying: "Tractor Scratch - out now - accept no compromises". Now, how should "accept no compromises" when I'm changing the keyboard layout from my native language layout to english or german so that I cannot use any other programs correctly? Also, how should I "accept no compromises" when I spend hours tweaking and disabling most features of my operating system to be able practice to how use the program on my gig? Moreover, in good hope, reporting bugs to the support and to this forum only to find out that now my system is not supported anymore since the requirements have been just above mine. Having done all that, have I accepted any compromises? What about the other G4 users? What do you think?

19. baseimpulse

baseimpulse New Member

Boy i have been having a ton of problems with my version of TS also.

apple g4 powerbook
    1.67 ghz w/ 1 gig of ram

no matter what latency i set it at, i still get massive problems. i have had the program freeze my entire computer and i am having to reboot the entire system on multiple occasions!

i get losts of popping and clicking and im even using NEW needles!

let alone the fact that both decks are using key lock but it still craps out like crazy and i have NO idea what to do anymore its driving me crazy....

20. baseimpulse

baseimpulse New Member

i saw someone earlier saying that they had massive problems with their g4 and ts, until they analyzed their entire collection.... i want to know if others have had their problems go away with analyzing. too because im not seeing much improvements in the case of audio drop outs when loading tracks into a non playing deck when another deck is playing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.