1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

general question about OMD Enola Gay drum programming

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by PB21, Jul 17, 2012.

1. PB21

PB21 NI Product Owner

I have a general question on use of the Maschine but not sure where to post in here as its not technical or sales related question.

2. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

You've started a thread here now, so you may as well go ahead and ask your question.

Plus, this is as good a place as any - probably the place to post it anyway.

Unless it's something answered by reading the manual... ;)

3. PB21

PB21 NI Product Owner

Ok I am not a musician in the sense like you lot its just a hobby but i do play the piano. I treated myself to some stuff an ultranova and a maschine and ableton etc.

I thought I would try and get used to the machine not by composing but by taking a track I already know, listening to it and see if i can replicated the patterns, tempo etc just to get used to using the maschine. I reckon its more powerful than those early 80s equipment.

I was listening to OMD and trying to replicate first the right sound lets say enola gay so I added the CR78 kit and I reckon it sounds right.

My question comes down to tempo i created 8 bar and added the hihat, then the snare I am on 16 steps

using the actual song and listening to the snare i tapped out the tempo and it came to about 71 so i made it 72 and then added closed hihat on every 16th and then the snare on 1 1.2 1.3 1.4 etc and if i played alongside it sounded ok.

The i found a site that shows the BPMs of songs only to discover that it says that the track is at 143 bpm.

so do i need to adjust the steps for this situation?

anyway as i said i am new to all this so when you stop laughing if you havnt fallen off your chair already at my silly question perhaps you can steer me in the right direction!

4. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

welcome to the Maschine Forum :)

to be honest, i would start again.

the drums are very disco, and the tempo is indeed in the 140s. the snare should be on beats 2 and 4 in a 4/4 bar.

there are open and closed hihats, and if you choose a grid of 8, you will find the open hihats are on the fourth, sixth and eighth 8th in the chorus if you see what i mean? in the verse the verses the hihats are less busy with 8th closed hihats and occasional open ones. the chorus hihats have much busier closed with a more disco like 16th pattern going on.

this type of question is good for the main Maschine Area where you have posted ;)

sowari

5. PB21

PB21 NI Product Owner

Thats great thank you, its always best to get some sound coming out of my new toy so my wife wont say "what did you waste your money on that for".

ok so more Maschine experimenting today its a steep learning curve but fun.

6. faster

faster NI Product Owner

7. coldmachine

coldmachine NI Product Owner

or just use Maschine's "Tap Tempo" function.

8. Zero B

Zero B NI Product Owner

Enola Gay was a Korg Mini Pops drum machine preset, not a CR78 my friend.

You can download the sounds here though.