1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Getting Random White Noise During Playback

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by danbarber, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danbarber

danbarber NI Product Owner

Ok, really only the second issue I've run into with TS, but this one is fairly major and I have shows coming up!

I get white noise at random times during playback, be it using the timecoded vinyl or just straight from TS itself. It's typically only for a second or so, and is on top of the track I'm playing - so it's not taking over the audio stream. Think of getting poor reception on a radio station, how the static comes and goes, in and out, etc.

At first I figured it was a performance issue, so I blasted the machine, reloaded XP pro, optimized it and all the usual stuff, reloaded TS and evaluated. Don't know why I'd forgot to check before doing all that work, but either way, when I look at the CPU strain meter, it's barely a flicker. I'm thinking the issue is with something else.

Only because I needed to anyway, I went out and got some new carts (Shure m447's) and still, random white noise.

I can actually record this, should someone want to hear what I'm talking about exactly.

Anybody else know I'm talking about or have a clue as to what I can look into here? I'm outta time :[

2. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

Yes, please record a sample and attach the zip file to this post.

3. danbarber

Ok, first thing once I get out of work I'll create a track of just silence in Pro Tools, bounce it down to a 16 bit 44.1 wav (it happens regardless of file type) load it up on TS, and record the output into Pro Tools.

I'll bounce that as an MP3, zip it and upload.

4. djquartz

The other thing I was going to ask, have you run the DPC latency checker on your system?

5. danbarber

Ran it about 3 times now just to be sure.

Keep in mind this is with Wlan disabled, nic disabled, all AV processes killed completely, etc. She's bare bones, other than this one instance of IE.

As of 45 seconds ago:

Test Int: 976
    Current Lat: 35
    Abs Max: 2571 (PROBLEM!)

Some device drivers on this machine behave bad and will probably cause drop-outs in real-time audio and/or video streams. To isolate the misbehaving driver use Device Manager and disable/re-enable various devices, one at a time. Try network and W-LAN adapters, modems, internal sound devices, USB host controllers, etc.

Seems like every 30 to 45 seconds I get this insane spike, which I'd say fits with about how often I'm experiencing the issue.

This is a Vista machine that I basically forced to run XP Pro via numerous open source or "close enough" drivers. If memory serves, there were only a few drivers that were actually made for XP for my hardware, one of which was the onboard video.

This all being the case, this sucks. It could be anything causing it....

6. danbarber

Just a quick update, I left the utility running for a few here while nothing was going on with the system (far as I know) and the highest spike thus far was 5687.

7. djquartz

Yikes, that's NOT good.

Something I read from other forum posts with problems like this.

Try disabling your DVD-ROM drive.

See what happens.

8. danbarber

No, go. I've tried disabling a number of devices and there's no change in it.

See the attached jpeg

Attached Files:

9. djquartz

This happens when you're using batter and/or AC power?

The other thing I was going to say, try disabling some of the devices at the bios level.

I'm wondering if windows is not truly disabling some of those devices.

I assume you have ACPI turned off, etc.

10. danbarber

I've got a bunch I wanna look into once I have the time, which should be a few hours from now.

This happens when on AC power, I haven't looked into turning off anything via the bios or ACPI

Report back tonight after I'm home and can really get into it.

And thanks thus far Quartz

11. danbarber

Just because I had a free minute, I booted the laptop into Vista and ran the DCP checker, much much worse (see attached.)

Attached Files:

12. danbarber

Ok, home and I've had some time to check things out here.

At this point, I've literally disabled anything and everything in device manager that CAN BE disabled, and I still get these spikes, tho they do seem to be slightly smaller (most are just under 2000 whereas previously, most all were OVER 2000).

For comparison sake, I ran the utility on my beater box, which is an older machine, running a gig of ram, a P4 2.4ghz, and I think the FSB on this machine is 533.

No issues what so ever on this thing, and again, fudged drivers galore here (even using the original iSight as a webcam for example).

WHAT THE HELL COULD THIS BE? The laptop runs better than any other Windows machine in the house, yet this one and only problem is causing major issues.

13. djquartz

Can you provide a screen shot of your device manager with the system devices tree expanded?

14. danbarber

Sure can

Attached Files:

15. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

Ahh there is plenty to disable yet ;)

SD Card Controller
    PCMCIA Controller and Flash memory controllers
    ACPI Battery

Remember all we are looking to do is to identify the cause of those 1/4 to 1/2 second DPCs at this point. I have seen the Flash Memory and SD controllers do this more than once on Sony HP and Toshiba laptops.

Phil

16. danbarber

If you mean based on what you see in the last screenshot, that was taken AFTER having enabled everything again.

I literally disabled everything possible while being able to leave the thing running the OS without crashing...

HOWEVER, if yall feel it would help, I can disable what you've mentioned again, specifically, and then post more results from the DCP utility.

17. danbarber

Check it:

Attached Files:

18. djquartz

Did you try disabling the onboard soundcard & firewire controller as well?

Also disable that Microsoft AC Adapter device and see what happens.

19. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

What software has been installed after the O/S? Anything and everything including drivers and your favorite tools etc. are candidates to be ruled out.
    Did you run the actual windows XP install or the Toshiba recovery program?

This is quite clearly a polling issue we just have not found what is polling to cause the regular Blips every few seconds but it matches up to Hobbes Vaio issue from 2 or 3 years ago.

An option might be to run a new fresh windows XP install and do a non ACPI Computer install, but that takes some configuring with unattended install.

Phil

20. danbarber

I have no issues as far as the install, I do this for a living. Partly why it's as frustrating as it is to determine what's causing the spike.

The laptop has been setup with the HD split into two partitions, the first used to install Vista via the Toshiba discs. The second was a fresh install of XP Pro from an OEM disc. Because I'm working with Toshiba image discs, Vista was installed, then XP, then the Toshiba discs were used again only to repair the MBR to recognize both operating systems in LILO.

Numerous things have been installed since, to include AVG, Outlook 2003, iTunes, FireFox and Trillian. While I'm fairly confident this problem would still exist immediately after a fresh install, I guess I could sys-restore to that point and just not finish loading drivers/3rd part apps. Fairly extreme tho.

As well, I guess I could reinstall non ACPI, but again, fairly extreme. I had seen mention of this in a few other posts....

I just don't think it should be all this. Not to mention, I've been searching around, and found mention by another Toshiba Satellite user here on the NI forums, and two threads on the Toshiba support boards where it was tracked down to the fan, and the problem is the bios for these laptops is horrible - there's no control.

I definitely had disabled the onboard audio, however my Lacie is connected via firewire (USB's an option, but not preferred).

Even still, I had disabled it, as well as the AC adaptor. Here's what I got when doing so again right now:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.