1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Getting Random White Noise During Playback

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by danbarber, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

Dan I think you are on the right track with the Fan, but having that other software installed while trying to debug this issue is sure to cloud the issue. I have heard from a couple of people here who have had problems with AVG causing problems with audio glitches BTW.

The one thing to keep in mind as I'm sure you are aware is the need to keep going, empirically ruling out issues to uncover the root cause. problems like this are right Son-of-Bishes to find but you are much closer now than 2 days ago. I cannot help feeling though you are going to find this is related to something like the fan if it is not the actual fan control and that Toshiba either have no fix or are not going to care much if at all. My bet is they know about it and want to keep knowledge about the problem contained. YouTube may yet be your friend ;)

BTW did you check for system firmware updates at Toshiba.

Phil

2. danbarber

danbarber NI Product Owner

Ok, I nuked the laptop last night and reloaded the operating system.

Prior to installing any drivers or ANYTHING, I ran the utlity - same problem.

I truly think it's the fan...

Attached Files:

3. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

There is a fan utility out there, I remember seeing it in other posts.

This could cure the problem.

4. danbarber

If there is such a utility, it'd definitely be something I'd want to try. Been searching for a while now and I can't find it.

The better move would be a bios that lets me control the fan, or just address the issue directly, but Toshiba's support forum is making it look like they just aren't going to address it.

5. djquartz

6. danbarber

I tried:

Attached Files:

7. djquartz

I think one of the requirements is having the Toshiba utilities installed for your laptop.

I'll keep looking.

8. danbarber

What are the Toshiba utilities? If you mean something that came on the system discs, remember, this laptop shipped with Vista.

I'm still digging myself. I HAVE to get this fixed this week.

9. Sean

Sean Forum Member

10. danbarber

Yea, I'm actually in that thread, on page 2 I believe...

11. TaaDow

TaaDow Forum Member

This is a shot in the dark and an old trick, but does your laptop power supply power cord have 2 or 3 prongs? If it has 2, nevermind this, but if it has the ground prong on it, try lifting the ground with a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter and see if the spikes stop.

12. danbarber

They're not grounded, and even if they were I still wouldn't advise that "trick"

Removing a ground connection can defeat the actions of your noise filter or spike protectors inside the equipment (if they have any that is). If the ground connection is removed the voltages can and typically will be altered, which also typically blows a fuse and/or shorts out a lead wire, blows a capacitor, etc.

Never pull the ground from something that has it. Using a converter is considered tolerable if there is no alternative, but any audio pro out there knows enough to use a grounded, surge protected outlet for their gear, and some of us go as far as implementing ground loop eliminators or to be TRULY professional with it, an entire isolated ground just for the audio gear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.