Glitches when using USB-C

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by tomsmith_79, Feb 7, 2019.

1. tomsmith_79

tomsmith_79 New Member

I'm facing massive problems since I got my new Macbook which has only USB-C connectors. Sooner or later glitches in the music start to occur which mustn't happen at all while DJing in a club!

I'm using a USB-C to USB adapter, tried another adapter as well, the problem occured again though.

Please help! I can't find any reason for this.

Thanks in advance!

2. DJ Lo

DJ Lo NI Product Owner

3. DJTDogg

DJTDogg NI Product Owner

Hey, I've just posted the following in the S4 forum as I own one but I believe it describes exactly the problem you are having and you wrote that you have a new Macbook, that will have the T2 chip in.....

In case you are getting any audio glitches with your NI controller and your T2 chip enabled Mac, it's a known issue. So it's nothing to do with NI it's an Apple problem. Apparently it's caused by an issue with the timed daemon. This is a background process that controls the date and time believe it or not! Apple are very aware of it so expect a fix soon. I've posted it in here as I own a new S4 myself but it will affect any usb based audio interface attached to a Mac with a T2 chip.

Hope that helps.

4. tomsmith_79

tomsmith_79 New Member

Hey DJTDogg,

thanks for your answer, actually that sounds terrible! I had a Macbook 2011 which I used for DJing and never had any problems, which is why I bought it in the first place. Now the new Mac which is supposed to be absolutely reliable is causing so much trouble.

How can we know that Apple is acknowledging and addressing this problem?

5. DJTDogg

DJTDogg NI Product Owner

Apple have asked some users that reported the problem for Console logs so they can establish what the issue is. It's been discovered that it's the timed deamon, so it's a software bug that is going to be fixed.

6. tomsmith_79

tomsmith_79 New Member

Ok thanks, hopefully that's going to be soon! Can't use my new Macbook for DJing at the moment which is really annoying

7. tomsmith_79

tomsmith_79 New Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. DJTDogg

DJTDogg NI Product Owner

Nice find! Yeah that's exactly it, it's only a software bug, no biggie.

9. earthspirit

earthspirit NI Product Owner

Seems like it is only an issue with the current model Macs (2018) reading through the various links to the issue?. I am sure Apple will be working on it. Apple never gives a running commentary on where they are up to when fixing stuff like this. I Feel for those having this issue...it is hard enough getting all this technology working together let alone performing live with it. I have a 2017 MacBook Pro so I am hoping this doesn't happen with my 'old' Mac. when I get my new A/I. :(

10. kokernutz

kokernutz NI Product Owner

I have a new MacBook Pro (w/T2) and I do get audio drops that last a fraction of a second, but they are rather infrequent. I'm a hobbyist so I am not losing sleep over it. My old 2012 MBP did not have this problem.

11. DJ Lo

DJ Lo NI Product Owner

Hey guys - pretty weird, but I’m running a 2018 MacBook Pro i7, 16gb ram, 1tb ssd. Zero issues at all. Are you all sure it relates to the T2 chip?

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. DJTDogg

DJTDogg NI Product Owner

That's what it points to as it only effects Macs with a T2 chip. FWIW I have experienced it myself but very rarely and as pointed out above, only for a fraction of a second at a time. Can't even remember when the last time was *fingers crossed* :)

13. DJTDogg

DJTDogg NI Product Owner

14. boni

boni NI Product Owner

Ik just found and read this article posted on the 5th of april...
    https://tidbits.com/2019/04/05/what-does-the-t2-chip-mean-for-mac-usage/
    Quote...

"So What’s With These Audio Problems?

...The T2 audio problems have been known for well over a year, and Apple has been utterly silent about them save for a vague claim that macOS Mojave 10.14.4 “improves the reliability” of USB audio devices used with T2-equipped Macs. Some audio developers (like Germany’s RME) have reported improvements with USB audio, but my limited testing with a T2-equipped MacBook Pro found no discernible improvement using 10.14.4 with USB or Thunderbolt audio devices.

...So if you rely on your Mac for audio—whether recording podcasts, DJing parties, or as a professional engineer or musician—I recommend avoiding T2-equipped Macs until audio issues have been verifiably resolved for quite some time. If you need a new Mac before that happens, consider one of the few remaining models without a T2 chip..."

15. sebasto07

sebasto07 NI Product Owner

I have the latest MacBook Pro 13 inch 2018 with Touch Bar and zero issues with traktor pro 3 it’s very smooth and fast !

Attached Files:

16. Anti-Skating

Anti-Skating New Member

I have a 1300€ Lenovo Yoga 13 inch 2018 and zero issues with traktor pro 3 it’s very smooth and fast !

17. boni

boni NI Product Owner

18. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

I looked at that website and they don't really explain how these are actually optimized?
    Not saying this isn't legit. But with the thousands of posts and years of no real answers for a perfect computer for audio i would be hesitant to just buy one cause the website says so.
    Plus so many changes can obviously happen in just a year. Optimization for me is a constant process.
    But yeah I would hope someone starts putting out some audio ready laptops.

19. boni

boni NI Product Owner

zephry : i haven't got one of those laptops, i found them through this video:

20. neoyoung

neoyoung NI Product Owner

I read this article. Does anyone know if it would also work with an powered USB hub connected to an unpowered USB3 hub? I found the one of Cable Matters, but other ones I didn't find... All of them are powered by the USB3 cable of the laptop, which isn't the solution...