Going 14-bit

Discussion in 'Scripting Workshop' started by jamesjames, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesjames

jamesjames New Member

Hello!

With Kontakt, is it possible for my instruments to respond to velocity LSB and controller LSB messages?

Thanks!
    James

2. Nickie Fønshauge

Nickie Fønshauge NI Product Owner

The MIDI specification allocates 1 byte = 8 bits for Note ON velocity as well as controller values. So, the answer is: No.

3. jamesjames

jamesjames New Member

Actually, the MIDI spec allows for increased bit length through the use of preceding LSB continuous controller messages. This includes velocity by using the high resolution velocity prefix (cc88).

One can access such controller info with %CC[88] but does Kontakt allow this info to be used? For instance, will it allow me to create an instrument that can play notes with 16,255 different velocities instead of just 127?

Thanks all.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  4. jamesjames

jamesjames New Member

bump. Really need an answer on this. Anyone know? Thanks!

5. Big Bob

Big Bob Forum Member

As far as I know, the basic Kontakt engine doesn't respond directly to extended velocity precision. However, you could write a script to produce the desired result (at least insofar as velocity control of volume level is concerned) by directly controlling each played note's volume using the change_vol() function. This function allows you to make absolute or relative volume changes over a very wide range with a resolution of 1 mdb.

6. jamesjames

jamesjames New Member

Thanks for the info, Big Bob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.