1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

GR 4 no sound at all

Discussion in 'Technical Issues - KOMPLETE (Archive)' started by lou26chris, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lou26chris

lou26chris New Member

Hi My husband has just installed GR 4 on his new laptop. There is no sound at all. We get the green light on the box when he strums his guitar though. He has new external speakers connected which are working when a music CD is loaded. Back to the laptop , when he clicks drums as an example , there is no drum sound. Please can you help us as this was a Christmas present and he wants to play and compose music. Thank you .

2. lou26chris

lou26chris New Member

Does anyone have any advice to the above problem please ?

3. davie_b1972

davie_b1972 Forum Member

I hope you sorted it out!

4. lou26chris

lou26chris New Member

No still not sorted out ! :(

5. jimfist

jimfist Forum Member

need more info: computer specs, OS, USB audio interface? etc.

newbies to this realm commonly get confused and frustrated as this may not be as straightforward a process as one would think.

if you are doing all of this using the computer's stock "on board" audio card and connectins, this is not recommended for optimum results, in which case you should at minimum have an audio interface such as Native Instruments MOBILE interface.

Regardless, the problem has to do with assigning the proper audio in/out for Guitar Rig software as well as the computer itself. Again, generally speaking, even when working properly using a laptop's onboard audio card, the results are usually unacceptable due to latency problems.

6. lou26chris

lou26chris New Member

Thank you for finding the time to reply.
    It is a brand new laptop, 3G , windows 7 , 2.1 ghz, 320 gb 64 bit.

My husband has a session I/O interface and has brand new speakers also.

Hope this helps , and maybe you can help a little more .... gadgets and me do not work well together .. lol

Thanks once again.

7. jimfist

jimfist Forum Member

OK, well, I hate to say it, but if you're inexperienced at this stuff, you're probably going to sweat this out. If by luck you purchased this package from a local music store, I'd enlist their help if possible. If not, then try not to get frustrated as everthing can be made to work, but it is not always the easiest thing to get going.

First of all, you need to make sure that the audio settings are correct within Guitar Rig's software.

-----
    If you don't have printed manuals that came with your Guitar Rig package, when you installed Guitar Rig on your computer, there should also be PDF documents of operating manuals for the software. These are located on your computer here:

C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Guitar Rig 4\Documentation\Guitar Rig 4 Application Reference

As a reference, Open the Guitar Rig 4 Application Reference to page 59: Audio and MIDI Settings.
    --------

To get to the Audio and MIDI Settings window, with Guitar Rig software open, click on the FILE menu (top left corner of the window) and a dropdown menu should appear with this on it.

The key things here are to make sure that in Audio Tab:

Driver: ASIO (or ASIO4ALL) (select this from the drop-down list)
    Device: Session (select this from the drop-down list)

For the time being leave the other Audio settings alone. Then go to the ROUTING tab, and confirm that the when you click the INPUT button, that SESSION is CONNECTED as the input, and likewise clicking OUTPUT confirms that SESSION is CONNECTED as the ouput. Now you can exit the Audio and MIDI Settings window.

Finally, you will be feeding the audio from Guitar Rig to your speakers via the OUTPUTS 1/2 on the back of the Session interface box, NOT from you computer's audio output jack. If you don't do this, then you won't hear guitar rig. For using guitar rig, the SESSION interface takes the place of your computer's internal audio card. Follow?

So, Guitar goes into SESSION guitar input on the front, USB cable out the back to your Computer's USB port, and use the SESSION's REAR outputs (1/4" outputs) to send Guitar Rig's output sound to your speaker system. If your computer speaker system uses 1/8" connectors (as many do), you'll need to get adapters OR send the signal from these outputs to a speaker system that accepts 1/4" connectors, such as a full-range powered PA speaker or a guitar combo amp.

As an alternative, you can confirm audio is working properly with headphones plugged into the front of the Session Box.

Lot's of stuff for a newbie. Please do your best, read the documentation, and let us all know how you do. Good luck.

8. lou26chris

lou26chris New Member

THANK YOU so much , we now can hear the guitar through the laptop and hear the Metronome through the external speakers.
    1 more question , if we press drums as an example , should we be hearing a drum beat ? Does that make sense .. lol

Thank you so much once again.

9. jimfist

jimfist Forum Member

Well. OK. If that works for you, great. But...if you are hearing the metronome generated in Guitar Rig through your external speakers, you should also be hearing your guitar (plugged into the guitar input of the Session box) through those same external speakers, not the laptop speakers. This would indicate that something is still not quite right with the settings.

The idea here is that your laptop speakers and onboard audio is far inferior to the Session interface for processing the Guitar Rig audio.

I'm guessing that you are refering to the BROWSER list, under the EFFECTS attribute, which has a sub-set list (Special FX, Animated, Coloured...etc...DRUMS). If I'm correct in this guess, then NO, you shouldn't be hearing drums when you select the "DRUMS" sub-category from the browser list. Guitar Rig is simply an effects processor, with some extra goodies built in (like the tape decks, tuner, metronome). You send audio into Guitar Rig software and it processes it, adding distortion, reverb, echo - whatever you want to program it to do. It does not produce drum sounds per-se, but you can use the TAPE DECK to play back pre-recorded .wav and mp3 files within Guitar Rig.

Glad to help. If you both very new to this stuff, I would really really really try to enlist the help of a musician who is quite familiar with computer-based audio to. A half-hour session hands-on with someone who knows about this stuff will be more valuable to you than 2 weeks of chasing posts around this forum.

And...read read read read the manuals! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.