1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

GR3 Midi Input Trouble

Discussion in 'Technical Issues - KOMPLETE (Archive)' started by MCK, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCK

MCK Forum Member

Hi everyone. I am trying to configure my new FCB 1010 to switch stuff in GR3 and I need some of your kind help.

I am connecting the FCB 1010 using an Edirol UM-1EX and I can load SysEx to PC, edit it using Ed Dixon's wonderful tool (Thanks Ed!) and load it back etc. I can see Midi actions on my PC using Borne's Midi Translator (another excellent tool) so all is well with the 1010 and the PC interface. So far so good.

In GR3, Audio/Midi Settings, Midi Tab, I see Port 0 entry as UM-1 [Emulated] and I can switch it On. I leave the Output to same device Off. Now here's first question. I read in the NI manual that a midi device with [Emulated] sign next to its name might perform poorly. I think this is meant for Output devices but I'm not sure if an input pedal would be affected? Thoughts on this one?

Second and main issue... At this point, I assume GR3 is ready to learn so I go to Options / Controller and try to learn Midi signal into various switches and nothing happen. The learn button does not pop up and it looks as though somehow GR3 is not seeing my Midi signal although I'm certain they are reaching the PC.

Please help me if you can. About to go crazy here. Thanks a million for all your efforts. Cheers

2. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

I've never encountered an emulated MIDI port, so I'm not sure how it's going to behave in GR3. This sounds like a good case for technical support. Can you message them?

3. MCK

MCK Forum Member

Will do. Thanks. Not sure if they will be responsive since this is 3rd party issue probably.

4. MCK

MCK Forum Member

Ok. So while waiting for a response from tech support here I am trying an alternate avenue. I can trap and translate the MIDI code sent by FCB1010 on my PC using a software called Bome's Midi Translator Classic. This software can send a keyboard action (ie emulate a keypress) for each MIDI action. So in theory I could send keypresses for everything I need to do but here comes the golden question...

Is it possible to assign keypresses to the buttons in Virtual Rig Kontrol? Thanks in advance.

5. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

I'm not getting something here... why are you trying to use sysex here (or so I'm gathering from your first post)? You want to be sending cc#s...

ew

6. MCK

MCK Forum Member

Hi ew, its probably my bad use of terminology. I was referring to the act of sending updated configuration from the PC Editor to the FCB1010 in my use of SysEx...

On the point of what to send to PC + GR3, I saw some recommending Notes and some CC. I tried both to no end. I did see CC listed in all the examples in the NI Manual though. I will give it another try just for the heck of it but in the meanwhile do you know if it is possible to assign keypresses to Rig Kontrol buttons?

Thanks

7. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

You can learn key presses, but they are not variable (of course). Go to Options > Controller. Press learn for the button your want and then strike the key.

8. MCK

MCK Forum Member

Marc, thanks once again for your reply. I tried doing this and nothing happens. I press Learn, observe it pop-in and change color but then when I hit a key on the keyboard nothing happens. Learn stays darker colored and pressed in.

So maybe my problem is not on the midi interface front. For some reason my GR3 seems unable to learn... A little like its owner I suppose! ;-)

Have you seen this issue before? Is there a grand setting disabling learning somewhere?

9. MCK

MCK Forum Member

I conducted another test. Installed Demo GR3 on my daughters PC. Didn't go as far as the Midi pedal test. I just wanted to try learning keyboard actions. Outcome is same as my normal PC. I am now starting to think there is something I am overlooking. Are you certain I am supposed to be able to Learn keypresses? If so something is very fishy on my end. Please help if you can. Thanks

10. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

Yes. I am sure. I learned keypresses last night as I wrote your reply in Guitar Rig 3.2.1 on Mac. I have a normal install with only the default options.

Let me see if I can get your some more info.

Marc

11. MCK

MCK Forum Member

Marc, thanks so much for looking into this for me. Both my installs were on Vista 32. Not sure if that makes any difference.

12. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

OK. You should talk to support. Ardent Mac user over here :)

13. MCK

MCK Forum Member

Ok. Issue resolved. Turnout the learning feature is only active when the audio subsystem is operational. This means if you use the Gibson RIP (Firewire input/output box) then you better plug it in and power it up before going through the Learn process. Once you do this all goes tame! Thanks for all the help. GR3 rocks!

14. RhysPatto

RhysPatto NI Product Owner

Hello I also have this problem.

GR3 had worked fine for me, but I had to reformat my computer and now I can't get it to communicate with my FCB1010.

My original setup ran the 1010 through Bomes Translator, and GR3 recieved the input from Bomes Midi Out 1.

Now it seems no midi devices work through GR. They all come up 'emulated'. I have also tried using midi-yoke, but no luck, every port is emulated.
    I know the midi is working everywhere else fine, as I can view it with MIDI-OX.

I have both a Line 6 GuitarPort and Behringer UCG102 sound interfaces which previously worked fine, they both still work but not the midi (just noting this as MCK said once the sound worked, the midi was fixed)

I also tried with the GR4 demo, but that didn't help.

Is there any solution? Please its driving me insane.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.