1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

GR6 MIDI program change numbers off by one

Discussion in 'GUITAR RIG' started by robbeads, Jan 7, 2022.

1. robbeads

robbeads New Member

After finally figuring out how to setup GR6 to receive PC messages to change preset, I select a color, then select "Custom" instead of "Curated" for the preset view, and I have my selected presets listed starting with 001, then 002, etc. The problem is that when I send MIDI PC-1, I get the 002 preset, when I send PC-2, I get 003, etc., so the first one in the list, 001, doesn't seem to be selectable at all. I'm working around this right now by putting a preset I don't care about at 001, then sending PC messages one number lower than the one I want to select from the list. That's working for now, but it's hacky and clunky, and if it's a GR bug and it ever gets fixed, all my preset changes will be off by one until I fix my lists.

Something odd (but consistent with the problem) I noticed is that when I run GR6 in my DAW, Logic Pro, the preset selection dropdown from the Logic plug-in window (part of logic, not part of the GR UI) shows all of the presets selected in the GR browser, whether it's all of them or filtered by a color or other attributes, and the logic preset list is always missing the first one in the GR browser list.

Is anyone else seeing this?

I'm on a mac M1 pro, using an FCB1010, but I've verified the behavior is the same with other controllers.

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Well-Known Member

Program Change messages always start from 0, that's how it is in MIDI standard. So PC 0 -> first patch, etc.

Computers count from 0, humans count from 1. That's just how it is.

3. robbeads

robbeads New Member

I understand that, I'm a software developer, and I thought about the possibility it was something related to that, but I don't think that's what's going on here. Some apps and devices number patches 0-127, others 1-128 (which actually sends/receives 0-127). But whatever notation they use, whether they call it 0 or 1, selecting the lowest number from the controller should select the first preset. As it stands in this case, it is simply impossible to select the first preset in the list by sending a PC. And as I mentioned, the image below shows how it reports it's presets to the host DAW, missing the first one, which I can't help but think is related. EvilDragon, or anyone else, are you able to send PC messages from any device and select the first preset in the list? I'm on GR 6.2.2.

Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 7.25.36 PM.png

4. robbeads

robbeads New Member

Whatever the case with this off-by-one thing, it really seems like this method of selecting presets - this seemingly undocumented requirement of selecting a color filter and switching to the "Custom" view - was a quick hack by somebody at NI, not a fully implemented and tested support for MIDI program changes. And as others have mentioned in other threads, it really seems unbelievable and unacceptable that this feature is missing, or is just a hacky afterthought, in GR6.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Eddie @ NI

Eddie @ NI NI Team NI Team

Hi robbeads,

thanks for getting in touch and reporting these issues. We are aware of the problems with the MIDI PC messages and the off by one problem and will fix it in one of the next updates.
    Sorry for the inconvenience:(

Cheers,
    Eddie

• Like Like x 1
  6. robbeads

robbeads New Member

Thanks for the quick response Eddie, that's great to hear! This is a great product, looking forward to making it a big part of my tool set.

• Like Like x 1