1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Ground Lift How?

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by DJ James Lake, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ James Lake

DJ James Lake NI Product Owner

How do I select ground lift from the Audio 8 Settings Panel, I have options for Timecoded Vinyl, timecoded cds, phono and software lock all of which have boxes next to them but ground lift has nothing.

Any ideas? or Help selecting?

2. djsuperflo

djsuperflo Forum Member

Your having problems with audio or software issues?

3. DJ James Lake

I get hum from my laptop from time to time over the amps and want to use the ground lift feature on the Audio8 but there doesnt seem anyway of selecting it from the Audio8 setttings program.

4. djsuperflo

djsuperflo Forum Member

Make sure your lappy isn't close to the power amps (magnetic field issues) and also keep your lines I/O AWAY from speaker cables...this could cause your horns to fry! The hum issue, you can try a direct box...or is your laptop making a hard drive noise? If it is...try a ground lift plug, you buy these cheap for a buck or so! The round terminal on your lappy charger can cause an annoying sound...meaning TOO MUCH GROUND

Let me know if this helped

5. DJ James Lake

Laptop is well away from amps and speaker leads, I laready have inline ground loop isolators fitted. My whole point is that the Audio8 has a facility for ground lift, I just cant seem to figure out how to operate it

6. OldSkooL

OldSkooL NI Product Owner

James,

There's utlility on the installation cd, directory utilities, 'Audio 8 DJ Settings.exe' to operate the groundlift and software lock.

7. DJ James Lake

I know thats what i am using, but i cant select ground lift, there is nothing next to it to select.

8. bigbadselecta

bigbadselecta Forum Member

I think you actually do select the groundlift by activating the checkbox next to timecodevinyl / timecodecd / phono...

At least that's how I understood the checkboxes. What else could these checkboxes stand for?

Not that, in my case, activating groundlift for timecodevinyl helped at all, but....

9. DJ James Lake

Thanks much better than the explantion in the manual......oh yeah there isnt one

10. jonapul

jonapul New Member

James, did you solve this problem as I am experiencing this now too?

11. dj mutley

dj mutley NI Product Owner

jiggle usb connector to audio8 if dirty or loose it will humm

i replaced mine and cleared humm .............cheers

12. Rokki21

Rokki21 NI Product Owner

Hi there, I've been having the exact same problem with my set-up. I've tried to found the ground lift but couldn't I'll try the suggestions in this thread. I notice a major improvement when I unplug my laptop and run on the battery but still not satisfactory.

13. Project333

Project333 NI Product Owner

Ground Lift?

hello...
    im new here...

What Is Ground lift features for?
    How does it work?
    :p

i've try use it.
    change the checkbox, but notting happen...

14. DiscoPoelie

DiscoPoelie NI Product Owner

A ground loop is something that happens when there are 2 ground connections from a sending end to the recieving end. For example a mixing console and an amplifier. Both have earthed power plugs, but at the same time they are connected by the signal wire. This setup acts as a large window antenna, and therefore you get all sorts of hum. Mostly around 50 (or 60) Hz, because thats the net frequency.

You have 2 solutions:
    * Lift the ground of 1 of the power plugs which leaves you with a mortal danger of electrocution (even with a laptop power supply!).
    * Lift the ground of the signal wire. Which is offcourse the safe thing to do. But this is a little more complicated. Therefore NI has provided ground lift feature on the audio 8 dj.

15. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

If someone has a hum-X unit please post your findings here.

What I've been doing for years is just lifting the ground of my shuttle/laptop power adapter.

People talk about surges or electrocution then why do they make laptop power adapters with two prong plugs then?

For my Shuttle I use a power cable from a router I had which has a two-prong plug.

This lifted the ground and killed the ground loop, been using this cable for a long time as opposed to the 3 to 2 prong adapter.

I tried to use the A8 ground lift with my laptop but it didn't help.

So I use one of those 3-2 prong adapters to lift the ground on the laptop power adapter which kills the ground loop.

However I would like to use the Hum-X instead but haven't heard much feedback on how well it works.

16. DiscoPoelie

DiscoPoelie NI Product Owner

Maybe because then your device needs to be double isolated?

OR

Maybe your power supply isn't a switched one, and does not need to divert all kinds of spikes to the ground?

In the last case: your laptop may be a double isolated device, which does not need a ground. Take a macbook for example. You get 2 power plugs for your adapter: a 2 prong plug, and a cord with a 3 prong plug. But it is clearly stated in the manual that the 2 prong one will shorten the PSU's lifetime.

17. Rokki21

Rokki21 NI Product Owner

Over the weekend I opened the utilities control panel on the installation disk. Although I could set a software lock their was no option for ground lift?

Please can somebody help. I have updated my drivers and Traktor

Thanks

Rokki

18. jonapul

jonapul New Member

THATS BECAUSE THE OPTIONS BELOW GROUND LIFT REFER TO THE TIME CODE VINYL/CD/ETC. JUST CHECK THE THREE CHECK BOXES ASSOCIATED WITH THESE AND IT WILL WORK. THINK AS "GROUND LIFT" AS A BOLD HEADING FOR THE OPTIONS BELOW.

19. Rokki21

Rokki21 NI Product Owner

Ah Ha, got ya. I'll try it tonight.

Thanks

Rokki

20. jonapul

jonapul New Member

Let me know how you get on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.