1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi all!

A quick update on our Summer of Sound sale, which went live earlier this week. While the sale has already been active both on our website and with retailers worldwide, we felt that it was not the right time to do any marketing around it. We felt that there were more important voices and messages that needed to be heard during this time.

We know that this a popular sale and that many of our regular customers look forward to this event each year, so we just wanted to let you know why we have not communicated about it so far. All communication will be going live on Monday, in the meantime, we hope that you will find something in our sale that excites you. Stay safe and happy music making.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Ground Lift How?

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by DJ James Lake, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nem0nic

nem0nic Forum Member

Sorry I messed this thread Quartz. The HumX rocks my socks. I've even gotten my workplace to buy them for all the rolling racks to eliminate riz in facilities we don't control. They work like a champ.

2. djmongol

djmongol Forum Member

I'm having the same problem Rokki21 describes. The noise with my power supply plugged in is really bad, a whiny glitchy hum. With it unplugged the noises vanish.

I've disabled almost everything in hardware, and done the optimizations.

This is on a inspiron 8500. I just ordered a new power supply, hoping that may fix it. The Ground Lift on the audio 8 settings does nothing for me.

3. DJ James Lake

DJ James Lake NI Product Owner

I had a similar problem with my acer laptop. The power supply is a two part one. It has a three prong plug going into the transformer. From transformer to laptop though it only uses 2 wires. So I cut the moulded three prong plug off and wired a new one leaving the earth disconnected, now the problem is gone.

4. nem0nic

nem0nic Forum Member

5. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

I got my hands on a Hum-X from a local music store today. It does work very well.

6. Rokki21

Rokki21 NI Product Owner

Does anybody know of an alternative British version for the Hum-X?

Cheers

Rokki

7. Darryljames

Darryljames NI Product Owner

8. Rokki21

Rokki21 NI Product Owner

Thanks for that very interesting. No wonder there isn't a British alternative.

has anybody any ideas, I certainly don't want loads of DI boxes to my mixer outputs.

Could anybody tell me would one DI box from my mixer master out to my amp eliminate the problem. I'm unsure about this stuff as I've never had this problem before with either my DJ or Production set-up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rokki

9. nem0nic

nem0nic Forum Member

Ground loops can be anywhere in the signal chain, which is why there isn't a single fix that works for everyone. I've even gotten them with equipment that was racked up together but the offending device wasn't in the audio signal chain (they ended up bring connected to each other's chassis via the rack rail). SO putting a DI between your mixer and the PA might work, or it might not. OR it might work in one venue and not another. That's why it's good to have several ways of addressing the issue in your gig bag.

10. Rokki21

Rokki21 NI Product Owner

Hi mate, cheers for that one. I thought that might be the case. At home it ain't a problem as I can run off batteries but don't want to run out of juice on the road. However didn't want to spend loads of cash on loads of DI boxes and extra cable to still find out they had no effect.

Cheers

Rokki

11. D'FunK

D'FunK New Member

At last I have some answers to my earth loop questions. I have an m-audio 410 sound card and have the same problems with the what seems to be a loud computer sound. I have been using a continental plug adapter on the end of my laptop plug, but obviously not the safest of ways of defeating this problem. I am going to try the Hum-X or DI box. Maybe just get a continental plug for the laptop and use an English adapter. Would this be safer?

Cheers

12. Rokki21

Rokki21 NI Product Owner

I was thinking the exact same thing last night. However I do have questions about the safety but surely it can't be that bad if thats the standard in Europe. Would any other forum members like to comment?

13. Macaque

Macaque New Member

It's OK ;) the laptop case is made of plastic so even if there is an electrical fault then the risk of electrocution is pretty negligible.

14. djquartz

I sent an email to Ebtech's tech support. Hopefully they can provide some more insight on the Hum-X device.

I would also like to see this sold along with the Traktor Scratch packages because it is a common problem.

Hopefully they will make a European version of the Hum-X as well.

15. D'FunK

D'FunK New Member

well I played last night for the first time with the Toshiba I just got. 2.4ghz, 2 gig ram and it was sweet. I got a continental attachment for the power pack for the laptop and put an English adapter on it, no hums, no interference, nothing. :)

16. Rokki21

Rokki21 NI Product Owner

@ D'Funk. Where did you get it from and how much did it costs?

Cheers

Rokki

17. djquartz

Hey guys,

I got a response from Ebtech today and there is a solution for the European users.

See here, http://www.ebtechaudio.com/he-2des.html

What you would need is the 2-channel solution which would eliminate the ground hum.

18. worldboy

worldboy NI Product Owner

Cheap solution

Thanks for all the advise here.

Ebtech is probably a great solution but cost you 100 bucks.

A cheaper way of getting rid of the noise is to cover the ground contacts of the power supply of the laptop with tesa.

Might be considerd not as save but worked very well with me.

19. djbhmf

djbhmf New Member

The ground lift for the audio 8 is able to be activated if you have the latest drivers installed, but in doing so it didn't seem to help at all. The only thing that really solved the problem was plugging the power supply to the laptop into the AC outlet with the 3 prong to 2 prong adapter...

20. D'FunK

D'FunK New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.