[Guide] - Cubase + Maschine MIDI Routing & Integration

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by D-One, Jun 14, 2017.

1. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Hi. I have seen a lot of incomplete information about Cubase and Maschine MIDI/Audio integration routing so I decided to make my own Tutorial/Guide.

The video for those who don't like to read a huge thread:

A written tutorial for those might need more time to follow along:
    ** UPDATED TO MASCHINE 2.6+ **

This tutorial will have as an example a simple pre existing project with 3 groups, in the following order:
    A1 is a Group with only drum hit samples.
    B2 is a Group with only one sound, an instrument on pad 1, all other pads/sounds are unused. (Bass)
    C1 is a Group with 2 instruments, one on PAD1 and another on PAD2. (Keys)
    Click the spoiler for a visual representation.
    [​IMG]

Here is the routed and fully integrated Cubase and Maschine Project for download in case anyone needs it for anything. Download Link.
    [​IMG]
    Settings on Maschine for the Drum Group A1
    Open Cubase, create a new Instruments track and select Maschine2.
    Load example project on Maschine, click the routing button and use the following settings:

Group MIDI Input settings:
    1 - Set Key Mode to Manual.
    2 - Set Source as None.
    2 - Select Channel 1
    3 - Set Start Note to C3
    4 - Turn off Thru

Sound MIDI Input settings:
    1 - Select all sounds in the group (Select one then press CMD+A on Mac / CTRL+A on Windows)
    2 - Set input Source to Default
    3 - Select Channel 1
    4 - Turn Thru off

Sound MIDI Output settings:
    1 - Make sure all your sounds inside the group are still selected.
    2 - Set Destination to Host
    3 - Select Channel 1
    4 - Don't touch the transpose.

After that's all done your settings should look like this:
    [​IMG]

Make sure all the sounds inside the group are still selected and right click the group and select:
    Group MIDI Batch Setup > Sounds to MIDI notes.
    (This will make sure all the sounds inside the group are triggered by MIDI notes starting on C3 and up)
    [​IMG]

This will be the default settings for any group with only samples and no instruments, the only thing that needs adjusting based on the project is the MIDI channel you want to use. Do not use MIDI Batch Setup for instruments, it's meant for samples!

Settings on Maschine for the Bass Group B1
    Group MIDI Input settings:
    1 - Set Key Mode to Manual.
    2 - Set Source as None.
    3 - Select Channel 2
    4 - Leave the root note alone (we don't need to transpose instruments to C3)
    5 - Turn off Thru

Sound MIDI Input settings:
    1 - Select all sounds in the group (CMD+A on Mac / CTRL+A on Windows)
    2 - Set input Source to Host
    3 - Select Channel 2
    4 - Turn Thru off

Sound MIDI Output settings:
    1 - Make sure all your sounds inside the group are still selected.
    2 - Set Destination to Host
    3 - Select Channel 2
    4 - Don't touch the transpose.

After that's all done your settings should look like this:
    [​IMG]
    Because this is a group with only 1 instrument we do not need to use Group MIDI Batch Setup.

Settings on Maschine for the Keys Group C1

The settings for this group change a little from the previous because it contains more than one instrument, everything is the same with the exception of the Input MIDI channel on each sound and the Group MIDI input should be ALL. Each Pad/Sound/Instrument sound-midi-input needs an exclusive MIDI Channel, in this case, MIDI channel 3 and 4.

Settings should look like this:
    PAD1
    [​IMG]
    PAD2
    [​IMG]

If this group had more instruments instead of just two the same logic applies, use all settings from the above picture but just make sure each instrument has its own exclusive midi channel unless you want your DAW to trigger 2 sounds at the same time for some reason.

[​IMG]
    Add 4 new MIDI tracks, one for each group.
    Name and color the MIDI tracks to match your Maschine groups (not mandatory but useful for quick reference)
    [​IMG]

Click the Setup Window Layout button and make sure Inspector is on.
    [​IMG]

Make sure each Cubase MIDI track has:
    01. Maschine - MIDI Out as the Input of the Cubase MIDI Track
    01. Maschine - MIDI in as the Output of the Cubase MIDI Track
    It should look like this for our first group (Drums A1, using midi Channel 1)
    [​IMG]

Confirm that all the Cubase MIDI tracks are using the correct MIDI Channels (Channel 2 For Bass, Channel 3 for Keys1 and channel 4 for Keys2)
    The routing on your Cubase Mixer Rack should look like this:
    [​IMG]

Transfer the MIDI Patterns from Maschine to Cubase by simple clicking and holding the MIDI button at the top right of the piano roll of each pattern and dragging it to each corresponding Cubase MIDI track.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When you drag the first pattern Cubase creates a bunch of extra MIDI tracks.
    @backbeat2 explained that in Cubase preferences > MIDI > MIDI Fille you have a "import dropped File as single Part" Checking this option will avoid the creation of a bunch of extra dummy MIDI tracks.
    [​IMG]

Create a new scene on Maschine and make sure its empty (no patterns on it) and selected, press Play on Cubase and you should hear Cubase using your the patterns your transferred and triggering the sounds in Maschine.

Audio Routing

Now all you need is to setup Audio Channels. (Relax because this is the easy part)
    On cubase click the tiny Activate Outputs button on the Maschine Instrument Track inspector.
    [​IMG]

From the drop down select how many Audio Channels you want.

On Maschine go to each sound that you wish to have a separate Audio Channel and select a stereo out.
    (There's only 16 per Maschine instance so choose wisely, more than one sound can be routed to the same output)
    [​IMG]

Hoover with your mouse pointer in the corner of the Cubase Maschine Instrument Track, a little arrow will appear and show automation lanes for each Audio Track, from there you can open Channel Settings and the usual stuff.
    [​IMG]

If you want to keep things tidy open your Cubase Mixer (F3) then press Shift+F2 to display the Mixer Inspector and Hide the MIDI track channels since Volume and Pan don't really work, for that you use the audio tracks you just made.
    Your end result should look something like this:
    [​IMG]

If everything was done correctly you can now record MIDI in Cubase using Maschine's Pads and have it trigger sounds in Maschine.

If you made it this far grab a beer and pat yourself in the back.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 15
    • Like Like x 12
  2. hi-d-ho-man

hi-d-ho-man NI Product Owner

This is one of the most well made tutorials / posts that I've seen on this subject on any site.

Hats off to you

• Like Like x 4
  3. D-One

Thank you sir! :)

4. D-J-K

D-J-K NI Product Owner

I don't use Cubase and this still made sense to me. This could easily translate to any DAW. Well done D, (as usual) :thumbsup:

5. D-One

Thanks!
    Yeah this can serve as a tutorial for most DAW's since they don't usually change that much from each other.

6. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

Nice! :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  7. certifiedbeatz

certifiedbeatz NI Product Owner

Where were you on the cubase forum when i asked this question...haha well done and thank you.. im using C9 pro should be a problem.. thanks again well done..

• Like Like x 1
  8. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

Good work.

• Like Like x 1
  9. D-One

Making this how-to gave me a better appreciation for whoever works at software/hardware companies and has to do the tutorials/guides/manual.. not as easy as one might think.

Yeah it should be the same for any recent cubase version, i am on Cubase Elements 8 myself for now.
    Funny you mention that, i lurked around the Steinberg forums for wile but the community seems to be a bit arrogant, a lot of old(school) guys that own big ass studios and have this know-it-all attitude that i despise so i never felt like being active there. The forum also technically looks like it is using web-code from 1996 so it always threw me off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. backbeat2

backbeat2 NI Product Owner

Hey you made a very good tutorial for Cubase Maschine Users!

With this cubase setting you can solve the problem with getting too much midi tracks after drag and drop from Maschine.
    MidiToOnePart.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. backbeat2

backbeat2 NI Product Owner

By the way ....

Studio One V3.5 has the same routing !

• Like Like x 1
  12. D-One

@backbeat2 thanks. Its funny cause it only happens when i drag the first MIDI clip, for the following MIDI/Patterns it doesn't happen.
    i'll add your info to the OP.

• Like Like x 1
  13. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

I think it only happens on the first because it has a different midi batch setup so generates a different type midi file.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. D-One

Ohhh of course, because i select all pads in the group before batch setup cubase assumes ill need a midi track for each pad, makes sense.
    This could be used if the intention was to have a independent MIDI track to control each pad separately.

15. certifiedbeatz

certifiedbeatz NI Product Owner

all you have to do now is make a template for all banks ..haha!

16. Asteryx

Asteryx NI Product Owner

@D-One, This is an impressive tutorial! Thanks for putting the time in to help others.:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  17. DA RIPPER

DA RIPPER NI Product Owner

@D-One Thanx for taking time to do this

• Like Like x 1
  18. D-One

Thanks guys, my pleasure! :)

19. alpert

alpert NI Product Owner

You are really good on tutorials.
    I don't use Cubase but i used to use Nuendo 8-10 years ago and now i have knowledge to set up maschine in both Nuendo and Cubase. In case any friends needs.. :)

20. bjorn vancoillie

bjorn vancoillie New Member

Thank you very much for the tutorial. Time to make some templates! :)

• Like Like x 1