[Guide] - Cubase + Maschine MIDI Routing & Integration

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by D-One, Jun 14, 2017.

1. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Hello. Thanks :)
    I forgot to update the link in the thread, done. Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vlst8zy2heansdw/CUBASE - Integration.zip?dl=0

It's not really a template, it's the project I route in the tutorial for anyone who might want to follow along or snoop around the project.

• Like Like x 2
  2. P-ready

P-ready New Member

Hello D-one I'm very thankful and appreciated for your tutorial. But I done everything you have demonstrated over n over I have maschie 2.7.2 update in cubase 9 artist and my drum patters sounds and midi comes through but not my audio loops or my instruments Is it a different routines sitting with the new update when it comes to the a loop samples in the instruments. I been stuck for days

3. cubawak

cubawak New Member

D-One!!!! Your are the ONE!!!! Thanks!

4. D-One

:D:):thumbsup:
    Hello. Instrument Groups are setup differently from Sample Groups, no, it's not different everything remains the same, read the instrument part of the guide carefully, if you're still stuck then send me the Cubase project you're trying to route and I'll have a look to see if you have made any mistakes.

5. certifiedbeatz

certifiedbeatz NI Product Owner

D one did a epic job with the tutorial for me its just not what i have been use to in using hardware with a DAW a know this is a software with a controller all in all it should be simple outs and ins nothing more.. if maschine software was made as a DAW then i get it but to export an import makes no sense D routing was great just a day late and thousands short when it comes to what I do to make beats and a finished beat with efx and eq for a mixdown something NI drop the ball on .. I know many producers swear by NI maschine and i work with them weekly so its just me with my old school skill set..

6. Thorti

Thorti New Member

Thanks D-One, I finally got it working, but only after applying midi-filters (Input transformer) on every channel. Without it every track records every midi channel.

7. D-One

That's odd... Are you sure you setup every track so they have their own unique MIDI channel?

8. ngodzillaa

ngodzillaa NI Product Owner

hi,

i always get a midi track created when i import the midi from mashince even with this
    "When you drag the first pattern Cubase creates a bunch of extra MIDI tracks.
    backbeat2 explained that in Cubase preferences > MIDI > MIDI Fille you have a "import dropped File as single Part" Checking this option will avoid the creation of a bunch of extra dummy MIDI tracks."
    :(
    any suggestion ?
    also maschine says "time type mismatch"

---EDIT
    oups wait now i got "could not export MIDI" message from maschine

also there's a THRU i can't get rid of.
    if i want to play DRUMS. I select the midi track drums on cubase, and press group A on maschine.
    if i hit a pad i hear the sound is doubled. i have to deactivate midi thru from cubase (nuendo.. so maybe different ?) or rectord the midi track to play it back correctly.
    i made sure that thru buttons are off in mashine (else the sound is looped anyway) and all sounds selected.
    input for the midi track is "maschine 2 - midi out"
    output for the mici track is "maschine 2 - midi out" channel 1

Do you guys play on pad and record directly to cubase or do you 1/ record to maschine then 2/ paste midi files to cubase ?
    because it looks like without the MIDI THRU from cubase deactivated then cubase passes the midi to maschine that is also playing the sound from the pad.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  9. D-One

Are you trying to record MIDI to maschine?
    After the project is routed recording MIDI to Maschine is no longer an option, new MIDI must be recorded to host.

10. ngodzillaa

ngodzillaa NI Product Owner

Yes record to host only.

11. D-One

Can you zip the Cubase project you're trying to route so I can have a look? Pm me or attach it here.

12. dimideo

dimideo New Member

Thanx, this is good tutorial, works fine with internal synth ans samples!
    D-one, maybe do you know how to route audio from external synth to Maschine inside Cubase?
    In this configuration impossible to hear exterbal gear with fx from Maschine.

13. D-One

That sounds like overcomplicating... if you're using Maschine inside a DAW IMO it makes more sense to have your external Synth (or any other external source) routed to a DAW Audio track instead of it going into Maschine first, then the DAW. Unless you want to Sample your synth into Maschine, if that's the case then i have no idea how to do that in Cubase specifically.

14. dimideo

dimideo New Member

The thing is that I want to use Maschine as an FX for my synthesizers in DAW. In standalone mode, everything works fine. Now to make automation for FX, I have to switch Maschine to midi mode or use another controller, which is very inconvenient

15. Thorti

Thorti New Member

Can't you record your synth to an audio track and use Maschine FX as an insert on that track? You can still use the controller to control the FX parameters (if I remember correctly...)

16. OGTracks

OGTracks NI Product Owner

The police is looking for you man. You murdered this tutorial I wish you do one for Logic Pro x.

• Like Like x 1
  17. dimideo

dimideo New Member

Yes, I tried. but I managed to do this for only one channel

18. WernerR

WernerR NI Product Owner

Maybe a stupid question but I'm fairly new to maschine. I'd like to use your method for routing between Ableton Live 10 and Maschine, that should be doable I guess. But is this kind of routing only possible when using Maschine as a VST or can it be done using standalone ? In Ableton, and maybe in other DAW's as well, the VST version gives me a smaller version compared to standalone.

By the way, splendid explanation in your tutorial, as said I'm not to experienced but I can easily understand what's going on !

19. D-One

Im working on an Ableton Live 10 versions of this tutorial at the moment :) Im just trying to figure out the easiest way possible to explain things as people get really confused about this subject.

I just tested and this kind of routing can be done with the Standalone app via MIDI Clock Sync (or Link) + Virtual MIDI, (at least in Mac OS, in Windows I don't know, Virtual MIDI is a mystery to me in Windows PC's...) Everything works with the expectation that you won't have Audio Tracks for Maschine's sounds in your DAW.
    This workflow presents some challenges though, for example, your loop regions aren't synced, so if you have a scene/section in Maschine with 8 bars you also have to make a loop region in your DAW with 8 bars at the same position which is annoying for composing, you also have to save the projects on both applications, then there's the fact that there are 2 applications outputting Audio, at some point in the production stage you would have to bounce Maschine's Audio to the DAW for mixing/mastering or transfer all the MIDI from DAW to Maschine...

• Like Like x 1
  20. WernerR

WernerR NI Product Owner

Thanks for explaining D-One, sounds like it's better to go the VST direction. Or do most of the workflow in standalone mode until it's time to use DAW integration.

I recognize the virtual midi part you mention, read somewhere you need some piece of software that functions like some sort of midi hub.

Going to try your Cubase tutorial as well, still have a Cubase LE edition here... Bought Ableton Live Suite with Push 2 and have been using it since then, but I seem to be one of the few people that doesn't like the Push, now with Maschine the hardware doesn't tell me what DAW to use anymore. The few weeks I played with Cubase I found it more intuitive than Ableton and a nicer interface, more hours with Ableton made me appreciate it more. So Cubase vs Ableton it is... bring on the game !

• Like Like x 1